A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Scrocchiarella  (Read 458 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Scrocchiarella
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:09:25 AM »
Roman fans. At the show in Vegas the most impressive demo I saw was Tony G hosting two different styles on Roman palla/teglia style dough.

Both were delish but the Italmil Chef had a super interesting approach. He used an Italmil flour that has dry sourdough added, made a poolish with 50% of the flour weight, proffed overnight cold. Then mixed the final dough, rested, shaped, proofed and baked straight away.

I was skeptical but it was outstanding. I went to the Italmil booth several times and spoke with him or his staff about it.

The sales material they provided on their product line is interesting. I made a sample with some local adjustments based on their formula.

preferment-
200 g bread flour (12.7)
120 g water
20 g starter (1:1:1), I used this b/c the dry starter ITALMIL sells  is added at 3-5% flour weight, so I figured double (10%) for a fresh starter.
2 g IDY
final mix temp 80
CF 16 hours @ 36ish

final dough
all the preferment
200 g bread flour (12.7%)
180 g water
1 g IDY
12 g salt
8 g olive oil
final dough temp 75ish
mix, rest 30 minutes, stretch and fold every 20 min or so for about 3 hours (went by feel and was looking for well developed structure). Scale and shape @350g.

I needed a couple of days so I let them proof just a little more them put them to [email protected] for 48 hours.

I brought it to room temp and proofed for an hour. They were light and well risen and looked spot on.

Turned them out, flattened, baked on the Blackstone deck at 600 with moderate to low top heat. I've never been happy with Teglia/palla results in the Blackstone but since I moved last year my home oven doesn't cut it either. The results were pretty impressive none the less.

Really like the process/work flow for this. Love the feel of the dough. The result is pretty special. I've been looking for a style to develop my natural fermentation skills on and this is it.

Tony mentioned that the Italmil products weren't imported yet but they are working on it. Their product line looks pretty fun and the videos and information they've posted are very clear.

I curious if anyone has figured out a hack for the blackstone for Teglia/palla/detroit that works well. I love the oven and the style but I can't seem to get them to get along.

the pics are not great...it's for sure my weakest pizza skill...

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Scrocchiarella
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
I did some more of this. 250g for a 8x12ish pala style.

Poolish with SD+IDY, then CF 48 hrs+ RT 2-3hrs. 600ish degrees in the blackstone. baked first and toppings as I went. About 10 minutes total including pulling it to top. Called it 8 minutes oven time.

Really like the resutls. Used power flower/t85/duram.

I'm going to try a straight SD long ferement with no poolish or IDY and see how it compares.

The toppings are potato, WM mozzarella, green garlic, spring onon, herb pesto and one has asparagus as well.
Andrew

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress