A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 800 Degrees , Glasgow Scotland.  (Read 271 times)

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
800 Degrees , Glasgow Scotland.
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
Not done any reviews before, I passed by this brand new takeaway place and thought I'd give it a go.

There are no seats, they are open seven days from midday and every week day have a lunchtime special from opening to 4pm, which is a 7" pizza for 2.  Extra toppings are 50p each.  So very good value. I ordered one with extra olives.  Their 12" pizzas range from 6 for a marinara up to 9 and they have 12 on the menu.

As the  name suggest, they cook at about 800 degrees F.  They have a nice Ceky gas fired oven with a rotating floor, I saw the display say 380c (what part that is I do not know). The pizza was cooked in 2 minutes, so it's quite similar to the time I cook in my maximus wfo, albeit they are very different styles of oven. One thing intrigued me, is that the flour sacks they had piled up were a strong tipo 2 type flour from  Molino Lario and when the guy was opening the skin I could see that some bran in the dough. The dough itself was opening in semola rimacinata ( I do this too) and there was more left on the pizza when I came to eat it than I usually leave.  They also have what looks like a very nice diving arm mixer, I couldn't see the brand.  DOP San Marzanos are La Valle brand

The pizza itself was cut into quarters and each slice held up with no flop.  Obviously they are small slices, but given the crispness of the crust I have no doubt that the larger pizzas would also hold up fine too, which I suspect is the reason why they don't cook at full neopolitan temperatures, despite claiming that they are "authentic neopolitan" as all pizzas are takeaway or delivery.

The dough had a lot of flavour from the tipo2 flour. I think there was too much for me personally in terms of the amount of wholemeal taste, but I can see people liking it and they can market it as more nutritious I suppose. I'd guess at close to 3% salt. A lot of other pizzerias here use sourdough or sourdough/yeast mix, I couldn't get any sourdough flavour from this base so I'd guess at straight yeast. Could be wrong though, my own sourdough culture is very mild

The tomato sauce was fine, not spectacular, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy that brand

The fior de latte was excellent and the olives had a potent olive flavour.

While it's not the best high temperature pizzeria here for me it's a good option for people to try in the south of the city and I think the tipo2 flour makes the dough  unique around here

there are more pictures on their instagram
https://www.instagram.com/800degreesgiffnock/

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
Re: 800 Degrees , Glasgow Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
 Two pictures I took

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress