A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Beddia 2.0  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Beddia 2.0
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 10:47:42 PM »
LB, that's good to hear...sounds like he's a true pizza craftsman.

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 11:21:24 PM »
All would taste bad? Must be some variability >:D

Assuming you were posting to me...

The food either is good or not.  "Celebrity" has nothing to do with quality, only marketing.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:16 PM »
I'm just joking around  being a bad pie boy :)    To your point, I totally agree.

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 11:45:11 PM »
I'm just joking around  being a bad pie boy :)    To your point, I totally agree.

I had a very bad experience here in Alabama concerning someone who had lots of "celebrity" for being a New York style pizza guru.  It was "Famous Joe's"  (Joe Carlucci) in Madison, Alabama.

Having never had "authentic" New York style pizza, I took my son to his restaurant.

What my son and I got was nothing better than I could have  gotten from a pizza "kit" from Chef Boyardee.  I emailed "Joe" and he was much less than cordial, offensive would be more the definition of his response.

I actually returned, to give it a second chance... bad idea.

It was worse.

Given, "Joe" was never there when I was a customer, but I think that gets to the heart of the matter.

Last I heard, Joe Carlucci is "working" at another pizzaria in Athens, Alabama... but I am not sure and I will never know...

because anything Joe Carlucci is involved with raises a HUGE red flag for me that tells me NO!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:47:18 PM by PizzAmateur »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »
That's a terrible experience. ..sorry to hear that, so disappointing.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
 Wolfgang Puck opened a place here. He hung around a week after the "Grand Opening" and never came back. There was a lot of hoopla for a short period of time. The place went belly up in about 6 months, the same amount of time they spent building the place. I wanted to try it out, but never got around to going there  Did not know if it was bad food, service, management or all three that caused the demise.

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
Wolfgang Puck opened a place here. He hung around a week after the "Grand Opening" and never came back. There was a lot of hoopla for a short period of time. The place went belly up in about 6 months, the same amount of time they spent building the place. I wanted to try it out, but never got around to going there  Did not know if it was bad food, service, management or all three that caused the demise.

LOL!

Joe "moved" to Athens within a few months of my scathing reviews of his restaurant in Madison/Huntsville.  I have always suspected that all of his "good" reviews online were from his friends or people who were lucky enough to be there when it actually was good and I lean towards it mostly being his friends and bogus reviews.

I learned my lesson.  Celebrity does NOT mean good food.  You actually have to know how to run and manage a restaurant in order to serve GREAT food consistently. 

No matter how high or how large the diameter you can toss a pizza dough.

p.s.

I just checked the reviews of his "new" restaurant in Athens and it looks like he still has not learned.  For some reason, I am not surprised... (chuckle)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:04:21 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »
I made it to Beddia 2.0 last night, with a friend,and it lived up to all the hype.
The pizza was fantastic, as has his take on Tomato Pie and maybe one of the best salads I've eaten.
Getting a spot was pretty easy, if you don't want to do the 60 day out reservation.
They use the ap RESY, and on Monday I put in a request to be notified on Tuesday something is available ( with my time frames entered)  and around 2 pm on Tuesday I received a notification that I could confirm a reservation for that night.

On my way out, I was chatting with the manager, and asked about the screens.
As he explained ,  they use it to allow for a better workflow, as there are I believe, 6 ovens going, multiple pizza makers,  and all those peels would make it  difficult to manage in the kitchen.
They use the screen to put the pie in the oven, and remove it halfway through.
Having not been to the original, I can't say if the pie has changed, only that it was memorable.
I brought home 2 of the tomato pies, and after one bite, my wife was hooked, and I have two more requests for reservations in the system.
His pizzas have gotten plenty of press, so here's a pic of that tomato pie, in all it's caramelized deliciousness.

Perry

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »
I am curious, what about the pizza was memorable to you? Was it the crust, or the hard cheese?

How would you describe the crust (texture, and particularly the bottom crust?) Any pictures of the pie?

Very interested to hear more.

Also, re: the tomato pie, it's parbaked in an unseasoned aluminum sheet pan with a ton of oil, then sauced and finished (if instagram is not deceiving me.) I can't imagine it'll be difficult to replicate!

I made it to Beddia 2.0 last night, with a friend,and it lived up to all the hype.
The pizza was fantastic, as has his take on Tomato Pie and maybe one of the best salads I've eaten.
Getting a spot was pretty easy, if you don't want to do the 60 day out reservation.
They use the ap RESY, and on Monday I put in a request to be notified on Tuesday something is available ( with my time frames entered)  and around 2 pm on Tuesday I received a notification that I could confirm a reservation for that night.

On my way out, I was chatting with the manager, and asked about the screens.
As he explained ,  they use it to allow for a better workflow, as there are I believe, 6 ovens going, multiple pizza makers,  and all those peels would make it  difficult to manage in the kitchen.
They use the screen to put the pie in the oven, and remove it halfway through.
Having not been to the original, I can't say if the pie has changed, only that it was memorable.
I brought home 2 of the tomato pies, and after one bite, my wife was hooked, and I have two more requests for reservations in the system.
His pizzas have gotten plenty of press, so here's a pic of that tomato pie, in all it's caramelized deliciousness.

Perry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:34:14 PM by hotsawce »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
Well, Iím a sucker for a great crust, and this was a fantastic crust.
Just a bit crunchy, without being dry, and you could taste the flavor of the crust with every bite.
The bottom was crispy, but not too much..
Iím also a sucker for a great sauce, and it was so tasty, that youíd swear there was more of it on the pie than there actually was.
The cheeses were again perfect. I know he uses Mozz, and finishes it with Old Gold, which is a local aged Gouda. My palate is not sophisticated enough to taste the each individual cheese, but melted and blended together, they were sublime.
My brain -is- just sophisticated enough to realize that something special was happening.  :D

Everything just came together perfectly (thereís that word again) and the pie as a whole was even greater that the sum of the individual components, if that makes any sense.

As for the tomato pie, the crust it was indeed oily, but in a great, flavorful way.
I have to believe that it was baked with the garlicky tomato sauce on top, based on the browning on the top, but you could be correct about the par baking
It was a cross between a traditional thin tomato pie, and a Sicilian pie, with a 1Ē thickness.

Philly has always had tomato pies available , but Joe Beddia took it to a higher level.
I hope to be back with my wife this weekend, and continue to eat my way through the menu, and youíve got me curious enough to check out his book, where the answers lie.

In the meantime, hereís the menu.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
And a gratuitous shot of the bottom of that tomato pie.

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:22 AM »
Mmmm, bark. That reminds me, it's time to throw something in the smoker.  :)
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
just stumbled across this, I'm heading there on Saturday and will keep my eyes peeled for some details on the updated production.  I used to live in the neighborhood and ate at the old Beddia 1.0 location a couple of times, from the instagram feed it looks like the cheese ratio is different in 2.0 (looks like more fresh mozz, less aged mozz, and overall more sauce poking through)...Pizza Shackamaxon (in the original Beddia location) is a pretty good replication of Beddia 1.0

Also Angelo's of South Philly (formerly of Haddonfield) is the truth...best in the area imho when you take into the account of the hassle of getting into Beddia or Pizza Gutt

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Don't be put off by the reservation system.
I've been there three times, once with a reservation and the others on a Friday and the other on a Sunday at 8 pm,and the last two we just walked in and sat at the bar with no wait times.

It was for 2 people, so a larger group might be an issue, but Joe holds 60-70% of the tables for walk ins, and the bar is never reserved.

On our second visit, Joe was delivering pies to the table, and he made a point to complement us on our order ( his standard pie with anchovies on the side), and we later got into a discussion about how he doesn't understand why people are so intent on loading up his pies with toppings.

Enjoy.

Perry

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
good to know!  ever since we moved to the burbs, we normally snag reservations in order to not be shut out, i keep forgetting how busy the hip areas of center city can get on a weekend...but i'm sure we could find a watering hole to occupy our wait time!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
CThun,

Will you take some photos  for  us and a nice juicy detailed post?

Inquiring minds want to know...or Inquirer minds LOL.. Does the Philadelphia Inquirer still publish?  A very young Pie Boy worked there eons ago

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
Shall do!  i'll see if i can discretely snag some pics of the kitchen space too!

The inquirer does still do some reviews, craig laban is a pretty good critic, its always enjoyable to read one of his 'zero bell' reviews they are hilariously brutal.  Also the food blog foobooz does the restaurant side of Philly Mag

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
Thanks!

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
Went to Pizzeria Beddia 2.0 on Saturday, in addition to the cheese we also got the ramp white pie special and the 'arrabiata' with pepperoni and pickled chilis (see pics below)

Pizza Thoughts:

The pizzas were pretty close to his original spot, which i went to a 2-3 times before all the 'best pizza in america' hype made it unbearable to get a pizza. On an arbitrary ranking system, I say they come withing 10% of the original 1.0 pies I recall, so considering all the variables for all effective purposes they were the same. I was a bit worried about the pizzas having less cheese on them based upon some ig pics, but i guess it just photographs oddly as it seemed the same on cheese in person but looks a bit 'red-er' in this pic. There is a nice glass wall so you can see into the kitchen, they start the pizzas on screens throw them in and then remove the screens midway through, i didn't get a chance to see what sort of cheese they were using or clock how long the bake was, but i did see they they are using more high tech ovens (glass doors, digital temp controls, multiple decks) than his previous spot. Overall I thought the ramp pizza above was the best, the arriabiata was super spicy (and I normally torture myself with Sichuan food on the regular). overall, if you can snag a reso or the wait is less about an hour and you kill some time at a local bar, its well worth it. Although Pizza Gutt (haven't been to the new spot yet, but was at his old Win Win twice) and Angelo's South Philly both make a compelling argument for being every bit as good at the pizza part of Beddia 2.0 but would also fall short considerably as a 'night-out' destination

Restaurant Thoughts:

Its in an odd spot and looks like a garage outside (sheet metal, barb wiring, and a neon peace sign denoting "2"), but has a super minimalist, clean, bright, almost church-like aesthetic inside. Plenty of space, could have even fit in a couple more tables if he wanted too. The staff was super nice, place was humming at 9 on a Saturday. Had a small menu and limited cocktails/beers, but a good amount of wines. Joe Beddia even ran a pizza to our table and a couple others as well, you can see he's trying to get step out of his pizza-maker element and get into a owner/exec chef element, which was nice to see. It was slightly pricey for what it was (i'm sure to the nice decor, fishtown rents, and high quality ingredients), but then again he's got the hype behind him and the new 'it' place in philly so might as well do it up

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
So, a little Zuppardi's-ish? Any New Haveners to weigh in on that...

What's the thickness/thinness?

wordpress