A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Beddia 2.0  (Read 2868 times)

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Beddia 2.0
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »
definitely a little new haven-ish, sliiiightly thicker i've never been very good at determining TF...i grew up with new haven pizza and i think thats the reason i like Beddia so much is that it reminds me of a bit of that well-done style

also, i dunno if it is worth noting, but it looks like he no longer uses Old Gold Gouda to finish his pies and is now using something called Royer Mountain...also, I didn't detect any obvious EVOO added post cook like he used to do
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:32:58 PM by classicalthunder »

Offline misterschu

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Visited Beddia 2.0 the other night. Pizza was good and very similar to the product from Beddia 1.0. Definitely rested longer before serving which is a big improvement for those of us who put it right in the mouth when it's in our hands, Beddia 1.0 was served almost directly out of the oven and too hot to eat.

We ordered the corn cream pie, has a basil vinaigrette and marinated tomatoes on top. We also traded for a slice of plain with mushroom and sausage from our table neighbors. Our pie stayed crispier than theirs, probably due to less water in the corn cream on ours than the tomato sauce on theirs. The sausage was heavily spiced and overwhelmed the bite.

An earlier review in this thread mentioned being able to taste the crust in every bite and that's true, but the flavor of the crust is from how dark it is, not necessarily a bad thing, better than a bland crust, but I prefer flavor in the crust coming from a well executed long ferment (or sourdough). The overall balance is good, bitter crust, brightness on top, fat from the cheese to round it out. Corn cream could have been more distinctly corny, but it came through and was a nice topping set. Big fan of the hard cheese "Royer Mountain," that they're grating on, post-bake I think. Nice flavor, complements better than an average parmigiano would.

We did also get the salad, "Lettuce, Almonds, Radish, Apple, Fish Sauce Vin" which was overdressed and nearly inedible, due to the heavy vinegar presence. If it had been dressed correctly, it probably would have been good... but as it was it was very unenjoyable, and almost ruined the whole meal.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »
FWIW, Barstool just went and gave Angelo's in South Philly a 9.1 and kinged it "the best pizza in Philly."

I think I recall mentioning Angelo's as a spot to check out  :angel:

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
FWIW, Barstool just went and gave Angelo's in South Philly a 9.1 and kinged it "the best pizza in Philly."

I think I recall mentioning Angelo's as a spot to check out  :angel:

It definitely is, been a fan of Danny's since they had the shop in Haddonfield, glad he's getting the recognition he deserves.  The whole reason I got into making pizzas for myself is that his shop closed up, and I wasn't happy with any of the other local offerings.  Recently tried the Angelo 2.0 and its still the same, if not better, than it was a couple of year ago.

For classic style pizza (i.e. non-neapolitan, detroit, sicilian, etc) , I think its Angelo's and Shaxamaxon at the top of the list.  With Beddia 2.0, Circles and Squares, and OG Taconelli's rounding out a close 2nd tier of 'best pizza in philly.'  I think they're all qualified to be in the discussion in one way or another, i think it just depends on the criteria you're looking at

Did the "Hoagie Room" at Beddia 2.0 in September for a friends bday, and I will admit I think the pies have slipped a bit since my first visit in the spring.  It could have been an off night in the kitchen, or that the pizza sat too long before we moved on from our hoagies (which were definitely very good), it also could have been that I just wasn't a fan of the seasonal peach pizza too.  Gonna give it a go again with the folks when they are in town around the holidays, so I'll give it a final judgement after averaging the three experiences over the course of a year.

Also, FWIW I think Portnoy is a douche his rankings seem pretty arbitrary.  But I'm glad he got this one right...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:37:27 AM by classicalthunder »

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
now i'm hungry after thinking about pizza this early in teh AM

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress