A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is hands down the best pizza in NY city? preferably in/close to Manhattan?  (Read 728 times)

Offline kuhne

I'll be taking the family to NY for a couple of weeks and I've never eaten at a really good pizza place in NY. What would you guys say is bar none the best pizza in NY city? NY style of course.

But if you also have a good neapolitan recomendation I would love to know about that as well, preferably one that does both styles!

Thanks!

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
I'll be taking the family to NY for a couple of weeks and I've never eaten at a really good pizza place in NY. What would you guys say is bar none the best pizza in NY city? NY style of course.

But if you also have a good neapolitan recomendation I would love to know about that as well, preferably one that does both styles!

Thanks!

LOL!

You will probably get just about as many opinions as there are respondents to your post.

Asking for opinions is like asking does YOUR  BO stink?  chuckle

If you were to ask for a specific trait for a NY pizza to have... even multiple traits, that would be a legitimate question.   IMHO

I guess what I am saying is, what is YOUR ideal of the perfect pizza?  Answer that, and then we can talk. (grin)

No offense intended.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:13:28 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline kuhne

Thanks! But that’s precisely what I’m hoping for! To get many different opinions and then do some research on those myself.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
For Neapolitan, I hit Motorino in the East Village every time I'm in NYC. The Soppressata Picante an the Brussels Sprouts Pizzas are two of my all-time favorite pies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
For NY, my favorites are Joe's, Johns and Scarr's. Prince Street and Mama's Too for squares. Song' E Napule NYC for Neapolitan.
Hans

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
Song E Napule. I didn’t think I had a “hands down” best until I tried this place.

Getting some pretty good coverage on this forum: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55080.0

Craig you gotta try it out next time! Even better than Motorino.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:29:31 PM by nickyr »

Offline kuhne

Thanks guys, I’m going to look up those places.

Offline kuhne

Craig, you are in Houston, have you tried Bollo wood fire pizza?

Hansb8. Is joes the really old east village join with coal fired ovens?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px

Hansb8. Is joes the really old east village join with coal fired ovens?

Joe's on Carmine. http://www.joespizzanyc.com

Hans
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.

No. I have not.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Last Wednesday I hit the Original Goodfellas, Razza, Luzzos, Joes, Johns, Prince Street, Emmy Squared, and Johnnies in Mt. Vernon all in one day.   I had a LOT of leftover pizza to bring home that day!.  The biggest disappointment of the trip was Johns where I have had especially good pizza in the past, but on this visit it was like eating a paper plate.  The best pizza for me was Razza in Jersey City. It is an inexpensive uber ride, or a 15 minute drive (at the right time of day) from the West Village where many of the better NY pizzerias are located.  Dan's crust is outstanding and it is now my favorite pizzeria.  Johnnies in Mt Vernon had what is probably the best deck oven pizza I have ever had.  They haven't lost their touch and are a must visit spot, although you need a car to get there from Manhattan.  Im lucky that it is on my way back to Boston.   

Offline Tecorriston

• I Love Pizza!
Apulia in Hoboken is like Razza in that it is not a traditional Napolitano style. The dough is incredible. The pizza maker is from Puglia.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Last Wednesday I hit the Original Goodfellas, Razza, Luzzos, Joes, Johns, Prince Street, Emmy Squared, and Johnnies in Mt. Vernon all in one day.   I had a LOT of leftover pizza to bring home that day!.  The biggest disappointment of the trip was Johns where I have had especially good pizza in the past, but on this visit it was like eating a paper plate.  The best pizza for me was Razza in Jersey City. It is an inexpensive uber ride, or a 15 minute drive (at the right time of day) from the West Village where many of the better NY pizzerias are located.  Dan's crust is outstanding and it is now my favorite pizzeria.  Johnnies in Mt Vernon had what is probably the best deck oven pizza I have ever had.  They haven't lost their touch and are a must visit spot, although you need a car to get there from Manhattan.  Im lucky that it is on my way back to Boston.

Johns has been one of my faves. Sorry to hear that it wasn’t a good day there.
Jeff

Offline PizzAmateur

Johns has been one of my faves. Sorry to hear that it wasn’t a good day there.

Someone once said "...a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." or something like that. (R. W. Emerson)

Of course, he was not talking about the restaurant business. (chuckle)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:21:49 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
Someone once said "...a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." or something like that. (R. W. Emerson)

Of course, he was not talking about the restaurant business. (chuckle)

I don't think Emerson ever explained the difference between foolish and wise consistency, however I suspect he would say that having consistent quality of product is the latter.

Offline PizzAmateur

I don't think Emerson ever explained the difference between foolish and wise consistency, however I suspect he would say that having consistent quality of product is the latter.

True, but when all else is put aside, with food, consistency as in repeatable results is crucial in a restaurant.  It isn't all that bad in the home setting either.  ;D

That consistency is also valuable in the home, but can be even harder to achieve for some... like me... (chuckle)  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
True, but when all else is put aside, with food, consistency as in repeatable results is crucial in a restaurant.  It isn't all that bad in the home setting either.  ;D

Exactly my point, however Emerson was saying just the opposite when writing about consistency of thought.