A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone got the recipe for "puff pastry dough"  (Read 405 times)

Offline mcbunny

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone got the recipe for "puff pastry dough"
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:30:55 AM »
I mean in a large scale, like Dough Doctor's pizza dough recipes posted in PMQ recipe bank? So I can use the dough calculator tool with it, the recipes I found on google seems not detailed enough.Thank you guys
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:33:20 AM by mcbunny »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Anyone got the recipe for "puff pastry dough"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Here's a dough formula for puff pastry in bakers percent so you can adjust the amount to any size dough you wish to make.
Flour: (pastry or bread type flour may be used) 100%
Salt: 2.5%
Nonfat dry milk: 2% (variable to adjust crust color).
Water: (ice cold) 35%
Shortening: 20%
Roll-In : 60% (this is a high temperature plastic fat containing water) This portion of the fat is added ONLY as a roll-in fat.

Note:
While a commercial Roll-In fat designed specifically for puff pastry application works best butter or margarine can also be used. Danish butter works better than other types of butter due to its unique plasticity at low temperature. DO NOT USE A PLAIN ALL PURPOSE SHORTENING FOR THE ROLL-IN AS IT DOESN'T CONTAIN THE NECESSARY WATER NEEDED FOR EXPANSION (LEAVENING) OF THE DOUGH.

Add flour, salt and NFDM to the bowl first, then add the shortening in chunks, using a pastry knife mixing attachment cut the fat into the flour, then add the water in a steady stream while continuing to mix at low speed. When a "shaggy" dough consistency is achieved change to a dough hook/reverse spiral dough arm and mix at low speed JUST until the dough begins to take on a smooth appearance.
Remove the dough from the mixer, cut into approximately 3Kg. pieces, pin out to fit onto an 18 X 26 lightly floured sheet pan, cover with plastic and refrigerate about 30-minutes. Process all of the dough in this manner. Remove a pan of dough from the cooler and begin sheeting it to about 1/2-inch / 12.5 mm thickness, add roll-in fat to 2/3 of the dough and give the dough a 3-fold, pin out to fit the sheet pan again and refrigerate for 20 to 30-minutes (time will be variable), roll the dough out again to 1/2-inch / 12.5 mm thickness and give the dough a 4-fold. Roll out again to fit the pan and refrigerate. NOTE: You will need to experiment with the number of folds to give the dough to determine the type of flake you want. Some will stop at just one 4-fold while others will go to one additional 4-fold followed by a 3-fold.
The idea is to keep the dough cold as you are rolling/sheeting it as this will prevent the roll-in fat from being incorporated INTO the dough which will destroy the flake properties of the finished pastry.
When sheeting the dough for cutting/shaping reduce the dough to about 1/4-inch / 6mm thickness.
Puff pastry is typically baked at about 400F/205C.

Things to keep in mind:
As you continue to give the dough more folds you may need to leave the dough in the cooler longer for it to sufficiently relax between folds. The dough will be easier to work with if you allow the dough to relax in the cooler for a few hours before sheeting the dough to it's final thickness for shaping.
Depending upon the finished color you are looking for and the strength of the flour you are using you may want to consider adding 1% vinegar or lemon juice to the water. This will help to relax the dough as well as reduce the crust color development during baking.
NOTE: After you have divided the dough into 3kg. pieces, be sure to divide the roll-in fat into the same number of pieces as you will need to use one portion of the roll-in to one portion (3Kg) of the dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T