A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Shakey's Italian sausage of yesteryear.  (Read 272 times)

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
Shakey's Italian sausage of yesteryear.
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
I have made a significant step forward in my goal of replicating Shakey's Italian sausage and black olives from the late 1950's/early 1960's.
The advancement is in making Italian sausage that tastes the same as I remember from "the old days."
First, I credit "Gitch" for posting his recipe, "Rick's Italian sausage (sweet)" approximating Shakey's Italian sausage.  I use his recipe as a starting point/base for my experimentation.
Here is the current rendition of my experimenting:
2 lbs. coarse ground Boston butt                  1 tbsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. sea salt                                               1 tbsp. onion powder
4 crushed garlic cloves                                   1 tsp. ground red chili pepper
3 tbsp. fennel seeds roasted then crushed        1 tbsp. crushed tarragon leaves
3 tsp. crushed marjoram leaves                      1 tsp. paprika                       
1 tbsp. brown sugar                                       2 tbsp. crushed basil leaves
Mix the spices and herbs in a bowl, except the crush garlic cloves.  In a large bowl put in a layer of meat then a portion of the mixed spices/herbs and a portion of the crushed garlic.  Keep doing this layering until all the meat, spices, herbs, and crushed garlic are in the bowl.  Thoroughly mix the meat, spices, herbs, and garlic with your hands, kneading and squeezing the mixture until thoroughly mix.  Cover and refrigerate.  After 24 hours, mix the sausage mixture again.  Refrigerate for another 24 hours, then use and/or freeze some or all of the sausage.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T