A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party Pizzone: floor support / replacement for Saputo tile?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline ajs123

• I Love Pizza!
Two of the Saputo tiles in my Pizzone have been cracked for a while (no expectation of them lasting forever) and this weekend one of the tiles on the side where I keep my fire broke enough to collapse partway into the insulation underneath.

I'm thinking about the following and would appreciate opinions:

First, remove the tiles and place stainless steel sheet to cover the whole floor area.  The thought is that this would support broken tiles as long as they're not crumbling. 

If the Saputo tiles aren't then in good enough shape, I'm wondering about replacing with Whitecare-Greer buff firebrick (https://wgpaver.com/fire-brick/). Elsewhere on the forum, others have discussed using these but with some variation in opinions as to whether the thermal conductivity is low enough at oven temperatures.  As far as I can find, no one has tried them as a replacement in a PP. 

Another option might be to mix still-intact Saputo tile and fire brick, keeping the Saputo cooking surface and filling in with brick beneath the fire.  I'd love to hear opinions, though.

One note: I bake 60-70 second pies regularly and with the Saputo tiles and my usual hydration my bottoms tend to be slightly under-cooked.

Alan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizza Party Pizzone: floor support / replacement for Saputo tile?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
I think you're right that nobody has tried the WG buff pavers in the PPP. Given my experience baking on WG buff pavers and experience with the PPP, I doubt they will be a good option. The PPP excels with the low conductivity of the Saputo. I think the WG buff pavers are at least 2X as conductive. Maybe ofor bake times in the 80-90 second range they would be OK, but I think you's have to dome very early in the bake at higher temps.

Why not contact PP directly to ask about the best way to deal with the broken tile?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
I know of at least 3 times (I'm one of them) that Simon has shipped boxes of Saputo tiles. I imagine you'd be able to buy more tiles than you need so you only cry over the shipping cost once. But I'd PM Simon and at the very least get his thoughts and a price quote.

Offline ajs123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
Here’s my temporary solution.  Photos are...

The floor with broken, collapsed left rear tile

Five pieces of steel U channel laid front to back. In my oven, the lip on the snide of the front face, the rail across the back, and the middle rails that run front to back are all a bit below the left and right side rails, so these don’t raise the floor too much.  The rails provide needed stiffness. They do raise it some, necessitating grinding of the tiles at the front to accommodate the feet on the door.

22 gauge steel sheet placed over the rails.

Tiles set back in place. The left rear tile is in about 6 pieces. Left from and right rear are in two pieces.

I should have saved ashes to fill in the perimeter, to help keep the pieces together but neglected to do that. I’ll be baking tonight to see how this works as a temporary fix.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:34:16 AM by ajs123 »

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Wow looks like a good fix.  Nicely done.

This is the first im seeing of this problem.   Do you know if anyone else has had this happen to them.   Im looking at getting the Pizzone gas model with saputo tiles.   Wonder if I need to copy your fix to prevent the problem from occurring

Jerry

Offline ajs123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »
I wonder whether a roaring fire is tougher on the tiles than the gas flame. I also go pretty quickly to a full-size fire with red visible at the top of the chimney if it’s dark outside. I wonder whether others build up a little more slowly. And my oven was dropped once,  though with no visible damage to the tiles when it happened.

So I wouldn’t take my breakages as indicative of the quality. This oven has been fantastic, and as noted before the Saputo tiles excel for baking 60-second pies.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:43:20 PM by ajs123 »

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:22:52 AM »
Nice fix- i may have to do that eventually as my saputo tiles are cracked.

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
Do you know what causes the Saputo tiles to crack?  Is it just the frequency of heating and cooling?
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline Thedeuce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
So how did the steel reinforcement work out under the cracked Saputo bricks? I have the same issue, a Passione oven with a couple cracked rear bricks. I’m buying some stainless steel sheet metal to put under the bricks. Wanted to see if cooking on it worked out for the OP?

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
    • Pizza Party ovens official shop
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:38 AM »
if you put a thin sheet under the bricks you can easily solve them
Simone

Since 2020 the Genotema SURL company manages the Pizza Party brand

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »
So is the problem with Saputo tiles cracking partially caused by NOT having a completely flat and stable surface underneath like a thin metal sheet or is placing a thin metal sheet under the tiles just a remedy for when they do crack?

If a metal sheet helps stabilize the tiles to prevent cracking, should we all be doing this?

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
Have the same issue with a Saputo tile cracking and now it doesn't stay because there is no support.

What gauge stainless steel did you use? I assume say 22 gauge is sufficient?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
Our Saputo's are about 3 years old and all but one are cracked and sagging. We're thinking of ordering new saputo's, don't don't want to see all of the cracking etc. happening again. It seems as though the bricks aren't supported properly. We're thinking of laying down a fine metal mesh screen over the insulation, and placing sand on top of it to a level that's even with the brick undersides. Sort of like laying paver stones on sand. Sand is not a very good conductor of heat and it's not a very good insulator as well so there shouldn't be any real difference in the floor/interior heat than we've seen with Saputo's being "supported" as they have been. Also thinking of replacing the original insulation with something else like what Forno Bravo uses in their ovens:https://www.fornobravo.com/store/fb-board-36242/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-J5MiWY3rztgrV1InYrcxWPkxItsFEqMeMY6GKLDBx-82VhIzOkgooaAi0KEALw_wcB
Donna

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »
Lowes, Home Depot or other hardware store you should be able to get stainless steel sheets. That's what I'm doing when I get around to it.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
Any thermal issues with using stainless steel? Had a piece made for me but haven't got around to picking it up yet!

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
Just upgraded the floor with ss sheets from amazon

Online Metal Supply 304 Stainless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011EMB88K/?tag=pmak-20

The only problem I had with the floor was uneven tiles. A couple times I ripped a hole in the pizza when sliding the turning peel under it. I blame the uneven floor but sure it was just me :)

So I got two 12x24 pieces. They were a fraction to long so I needed to grind an 1/8-3/16 off one end. Wanted to go side to side but they wouldn't turn to fit in so had to go front to back with them. After grinding they went in easily.  Also had to grind  down the front two stones to fit under the front wall. That was super easy.

I originally wanted to get some  channel tubing for more support but after placing the sheets inside found it wasn't needed

Jerry

The stones are now very flat. See last pic

Offline Vinny G

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 03:22:03 PM »
Nice job!
Be Kind To The People You Meet On The Way Up, Because You're Going To Meet The Same People On The Way Down

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
Nicely done, pretty happy with it then?
Jon

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 03:55:13 PM »
Nicely done, pretty happy with it then?
Yes. I like the even stones. I may get some channel tube for some additional support but dont really think its needed

There is a metal supply shop close by. If they have some cheap I'll get it

Damn just realized I didn't measure the depth needed for the channel tubing

If anyone knows please post it or I'll have to remove the stones before going to the shop.  That's of course if I decide to add the tubing

Jerry

wordpress