A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Caputo 00 Chef flour in a home oven.  (Read 728 times)

Offline MichaelDWatt

• I Love Pizza!
Caputo 00 Chef flour in a home oven.
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:11:09 PM »
I see in many forum posts here that using Caputo 00 pizzeria flour (the one in the blue bag) does not do very well in a standard home oven and needs a very hot oven. If I were to use the 00 flour from the red bag (the chefs flour) would I have the same problems as the other? Or would it brown evenly?

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Caputo 00 Chef flour in a home oven.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 01:33:26 AM »
I've used both types of Caputo flour (along with other 00 brands) in my home oven at the highest temperatures I could rig my oven to reach using both a pizza stone and later a baking steel, and both performed mediocre at best after years of experimenting. Maybe the results would have been acceptable to some people, but I knew what I was looking for and I was only able to achieve it after I got an outdoor oven capable of reaching those really high temperatures you need for a true Neapolitan. I'd say stick with flour that performs well under 650 degrees such as bread flour and you'll be much happier.

Offline tracy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:47 AM »
Of the Caputo flour types I've tried in a home oven (Pizzeria, Chef's, and Americana), Americana has worked the best.  Pizzeria and Chef's didn't really brown properly, even with additional sugar and oil added.  Americana is the closest of the three to a traditional bread flour from my experience.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
As far as I know, Americana is the only Caputo flour that is malted. All the others will have issues browning at home oven temps to varying degrees.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
I've used both types of Caputo flour (along with other 00 brands) in my home oven at the highest temperatures I could rig my oven to reach using both a pizza stone and later a baking steel, and both performed mediocre at best after years of experimenting. Maybe the results would have been acceptable to some people, but I knew what I was looking for and I was only able to achieve it after I got an outdoor oven capable of reaching those really high temperatures you need for a true Neapolitan. I'd say stick with flour that performs well under 650 degrees such as bread flour and you'll be much happier.

I've had success using Caputo 00 at home, but only with a steel on the top shelf directly under the broiler. Surface temps are typically around 700 deg F, and I don't know the air temp, but it must be pretty dam hot because the pizza is only an inch away from the red-hot heating element.  But at regular (e.g. 500-550 deg F) oven temps? Failure.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:11 PM »
I've had success using Caputo 00 at home, but only with a steel on the top shelf directly under the broiler. Surface temps are typically around 700 deg F, and I don't know the air temp, but it must be pretty dam hot because the pizza is only an inch away from the red-hot heating element.  But at regular (e.g. 500-550 deg F) oven temps? Failure.

Hi wiz d kidd,

When you use your steel on top shelf directly under the broiler, how many minutes does it take to finish your pie?

Also, if you use the broiler setting, do you keep the oven door slightly open?

Vida
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven, iron pan too.

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »
Hi wiz d kidd,

When you use your steel on top shelf directly under the broiler, how many minutes does it take to finish your pie?

Also, if you use the broiler setting, do you keep the oven door slightly open?

Vida

My oven (a Kitchen Aid) recommends keeping the oven door closed during broiling, so that is what I do. I preheat the steel, on broil, about 1-1/2 inches away from the element until the broiler element automatically turns itself off -- usually about 20-25 min. During that time the steel is absorbing the radiant heat from the element -- not just hot air.  The surface typically gets to around 675 deg F. When the element turns off, I launch the pie. It takes almost exactly 120 seconds to cook. Partway thru cooking, the element will turn on again because I opened the door and let some heat out.

If your oven recommends keeping the oven door cracked open, I would try preheating, with the door ajar, for 20 min (+/-) directly under the radiant heat of the broiler element to get the steel very hot. Use an IR thermometer if you have one to check temperature. Turn the broiler off, launch your pie, and begin timing. Watch it carefully as it can go from a nice spotty char to charcoal very fast! If it looks like the top needs some help cooking/browning you can turn the element back on after about 60 seconds.  My pies finish is 2 min, but yours might be different due to temp, proximity to the element, dough formulation, etc.

That should mimic what I'm doing pretty closely. Use the highest shelf -- the surface of my steel is 1-1/2 inches, and the surface of the pie is only about an inch away from the element! If large bubbles/blisters form, they often touch the element (which I don't recommend because they usually stick and tear the surface of the pie when you remove it).

Here are some results...

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
My oven (a Kitchen Aid) recommends keeping the oven door closed during broiling, so that is what I do. I preheat the steel, on broil, about 1-1/2 inches away from the element until the broiler element automatically turns itself off -- usually about 20-25 min. During that time the steel is absorbing the radiant heat from the element -- not just hot air.  The surface typically gets to around 675 deg F. When the element turns off, I launch the pie. It takes almost exactly 120 seconds to cook. Partway thru cooking, the element will turn on again because I opened the door and let some heat out.

If your oven recommends keeping the oven door cracked open, I would try preheating, with the door ajar, for 20 min (+/-) directly under the radiant heat of the broiler element to get the steel very hot. Use an IR thermometer if you have one to check temperature. Turn the broiler off, launch your pie, and begin timing. Watch it carefully as it can go from a nice spotty char to charcoal very fast! If it looks like the top needs some help cooking/browning you can turn the element back on after about 60 seconds.  My pies finish is 2 min, but yours might be different due to temp, proximity to the element, dough formulation, etc.

That should mimic what I'm doing pretty closely. Use the highest shelf -- the surface of my steel is 1-1/2 inches, and the surface of the pie is only about an inch away from the element! If large bubbles/blisters form, they often touch the element (which I don't recommend because they usually stick and tear the surface of the pie when you remove it).

Here are some results...

Thanks!  You are using an electric home oven, right?

Forgive me is that was indicated early in this thread...

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »
Thanks!  You are using an electric home oven, right?

Forgive me is that was indicated early in this thread...

Yes, electric oven.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »

Here are some results...

wiz_d_kidd,

I shall try this out exactly as you wrote it.  Recently purchased a steel and burned my pie.  Forgot what it measured on my IT.

Thank you for your detailed reply. Your pie looks really good.

Vida

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »
Quick update:

When I was about to move my steel to the highest shelf directly under broiler, I can't. There is a barrier.

Back to 7 minutes Broil/Bake times. The distance from heating element to stone is 4.75 inches.

Picture of my oven below.

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
Quick update:

When I was about to move my steel to the highest shelf directly under broiler, I can't. There is a barrier.

Back to 7 minutes Broil/Bake times. The distance from heating element to stone is 4.75 inches.

Picture of my oven below.

How unfortunate.  But maybe you can put something under the steel to raise it up another 3 inches, like an upside down broiler pan, or some other heat-proof item?

Offline owaint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
I used some Caputo chef's flour (red bag) yesterday with reasonable success.  I used the combination method of a steel pan on my rangetop and the broiler in my oven.  It takes a bit of trial and error to get the balance between the two heats right but I got fairly close with my third pie. 

The broiler is set to 300C (575F) and the pan was heated to the same.  I didn't time the pan part but it was probably about 60 seconds, the broiler part was 90 seconds dead.  Next time I'd go a touch longer under the broiler and a little cooler on the pan preheat as the base was slightly more done than the top.

It's not perfect but it was the nicest pizza I've done at home for a long while.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
How unfortunate.  But maybe you can put something under the steel to raise it up another 3 inches, like an upside down broiler pan, or some other heat-proof item?

Good idea, wiz_d_kidd. I may try this too.

I did make a pizza with my current oven set-up and in 6 minutes using Caputo 00 Flour (Blue bag).

That pizza is in this link: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=57358.0

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
I used some Caputo chef's flour (red bag) yesterday with reasonable success.  I used the combination method of a steel pan on my rangetop and the broiler in my oven.  It takes a bit of trial and error to get the balance between the two heats right but I got fairly close with my third pie. 

The broiler is set to 300C (575F) and the pan was heated to the same.  I didn't time the pan part but it was probably about 60 seconds, the broiler part was 90 seconds dead.  Next time I'd go a touch longer under the broiler and a little cooler on the pan preheat as the base was slightly more done than the top.

It's not perfect but it was the nicest pizza I've done at home for a long while.

owaint,

Nice pizza!   :pizza:

wordpress