A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NOLA, Nawlins, New Orleans  (Read 549 times)

Offline Terra

NOLA, Nawlins, New Orleans
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:20:55 AM »
I'm headed New Orleans in a few weeks. What's the best pizza in town?

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NOLA, Nawlins, New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
New Orleans has a long history of terrible pizza but lately a few notable places have popped up. I don't think you'll find anything that will knock your socks off but my favorite of the bunch is John Besh's Pizza Dominica on Magazine. They claim its Neapolitan but it's really neo-Neapolitan or an Americanized version. It's baked in a large wood-fired oven which has a rotating floor. They bake at only around 565 degrees and also ladle the sauce on top after everything else goes on.

On my last visit I sat at the short bar where you can watch them make the pizza and asked about oven temps and why the sauce was put on last. The guy told that was the way Neapolitan style is made. I was too polite to call him out on it so I just let it go. (Also not a fan of making people angry who are cooking your food.) Yes, it's not true Neapolitan but it's pretty good and maybe the best you'll be able to get in New Orleans. It's a little lighter and slightly crispier than a true Neapolitan.

The best tip is to get there between 3-5 pm weekdays during happy hour when pizzas (and draft beer) are half-price (which is a great value considering they are on the expensive side.) They do use quality ingredients though.  Have fun!

Offline Qapla

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »

There are at least 14 Pizza Huts in the NOLA area  ::)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »
Go to Acme Oyster, and order a dozen charbroiled oysters, and youíll forget all about pizza.  :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 06:13:42 PM »
Go to Acme Oyster, and order a dozen charbroiled oysters, and youíll forget all about pizza.  :)
Perry,

LOL. It's been many years since I was last in New Orleans, but Acme was the first place I went to for food when I did go to NO. So I know what you mean.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
I can almost walk to where the oyster boats come in here. In the shell, on the grill, with a pot of garlic butter. When the open, pour them into the garlic butter. Everyone has a fork and their favorite adult beverage  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Terra

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »
Y'all, firstly I do appreciate your funnies but... I live on the Gulf Coast so southern/creole/soul food is the norm. Not that your suggestion isn't great its just that I'm trying to eat really good pie without HAVING to travere half of the U.S. I also know the coast is full of great cooks AND the market is competitive so it stands to reason that great pie exist somewhere inside the debaucherous chasm know as The Big Easy, no?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
so it stands to reason that great pie exist somewhere inside the debaucherous chasm know as The Big Easy, no?

You'd like to think so, but it's a false logic. The availability of great food does not correlate to the availability of great pizza. Like Houston, the pizza in NO sucks.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »
Perry,

LOL. It's been many years since I was last in New Orleans, but Acme was the first place I went to for food when I did go to NO. So I know what you mean.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Itís a great town, and I canít think of any city Iíve been where people are just having fun and enjoying life as much as NO.
Weíre heading there again, in a few weeks for JazzFest, and Acme will be our first stop, after we check in to our hotel. ;D

Perry

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
I can almost walk to where the oyster boats come in here. In the shell, on the grill, with a pot of garlic butter. When the open, pour them into the garlic butter. Everyone has a fork and their favorite adult beverage  ;D

Craig,
 I enjoy raw oysters , and can shuck away, but given a choice, Iíll take them plump and cooked any day.
Acme does their voodoo, and finishes them with a topping of Romano, under the broiler.

I checked out the menu at the Dominica restaurant, that was mentioned, and they have a charbroiled oyster topping, which at first seemed out of place on a pizza....but on second thought has some possibilities.

I can imagine oysters and some garlic sauce, with maybe a cream or pesto base, would make a tasty pie.

Perry

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 02:29:20 AM »

Felix's oysters across the street are just as good and there's hardly ever a line.

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:23 AM »
Wow!

No good pizza in New Orleans?  Really?

It is possible, as there are NO really good pizza places where I live.  Unless you count chains, like Papa John's, etc...

Guess why I make my own pizza now? (chuckle)

Breville oven in my future...  wood fired is just too much trouble for me, although I admire those of you who do well with a WFO!

OK... I am rambling again... zipped! (grin)

(But for how long? smile)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:38:55 PM by PizzAmateur »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »
...somewhere inside the debaucherous chasm know as The Big Easy...
:-D  I may borrow that at some point. Very funny!
-Tony

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
Felix's oysters across the street are just as good and there's hardly ever a line.

We gave in to the allure of instant access at Felixís last year, after an earlier in the week visit to Acme, but while Felix may offer the same mollusk, there is something about Acmeís  flavor and satisfaction that canít be beat.

We tend to go mid afternoon, so the wait time is minimal.

Perry

Offline Terra

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
Suppose I must concede. Is there a consensus amongst the community regarding pizza in Pensacola and/or Mobile? I'm lumping them together because the 2 cities are less than an hour's drive apart. Like NOLA these two places are also within a reasonable driving distance for me. Should I start a new thread to ask about Pensacola/Mobile?

Btw, thanks for not ragging on me for misspelling "traverse" earlier.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »
Suppose I must concede. Is there a consensus amongst the community regarding pizza in Pensacola and/or Mobile? I'm lumping them together because the 2 cities are less than an hour's drive apart. Like NOLA these two places are also within a reasonable driving distance for me. Should I start a new thread to ask about Pensacola/Mobile?

Btw, thanks for not ragging on me for misspelling "traverse" earlier.

Grimaldi's in Miramar Beach near Destin has pretty decent coal-oven NY style pizza. Yes, it's a chain and I've never eaten in their original Brooklyn location but I was actually shocked to find any kind of decent pizza in this rather touristy area of Florida. It's thin and on the crispy side, cooked well and not rushed.

Offline Terra

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »
I appreciate you weighing in again Gene, thanks. I wanted to ask if you know of any affiliation between Pizza Domenica on Magazine and Domenica on Baronne St?

Have you eaten at Domenica On Baronne St?

Their menus as well as their names seem pretty similar.

Really, I could drive to Montgomery, Birmingham, Atlanta or anywhere in MS. Its just an extra 2-3 hours on the road but whatever. Are there any pizzerias of note in any of these places? I'm going to deeply saddened if I have to risk my life on 737 MAX to get a decent pie.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
You're welcome, Terra. Glad to help.

Pizza Domenica was opened a few years ago because the wood-fired pizza at Domenica became so popular and a lot of their customers were going strictly for the pizza. I've never been to the original one on Baronne but I'm sure the pizza would be the same quality at both places. Domenica of course is a much finer restaurant with a variety of New Orleans cuisine which I'm sure is all very good. I go to the one on Magazine when I'm in the mood for pizza in New Orleans as it's much easier to park there. It looks like both places have happy hour specials, so you should try to take advantage of that. Regular pies range between about $15-$20 and during happy hour they are half-price.

I've had the pizza at Varasano's in Atlanta and liked it. I also heard Antico is very good but haven't tried it. Varasano's also has a pizza bar in Terminal A of ATL which is actually also pretty good (esp. for airport food). I'm not aware of any good pizza joints in Alabama or Memphis.

Give us an update after your trip! 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
Craig,
 I enjoy raw oysters , and can shuck away,

I worked in a seafood restaurant in high school shucking oysters, peeling shrimp, and filleting fish. I didn't get paid much but I was allowed to eat all the oysters I wanted  ;D

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 01:22:35 AM »
I'm headed New Orleans in a few weeks. What's the best pizza in town?

So how was your trip and where did you eat?