A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island  (Read 4254 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
I wonder why they had to throw out all that dough? :D

jkb,

From what my eyes could see I thought that big container was semolina, or something similar.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
After thinking over the pizzas I ate at Lee's Tavern and Denino's, I now think they were something like a De Lorenzo's pizza in Robbinsville, but a little different.  The cheese is applied first and then the sauce, just like De Lorenzo's.  The sauce and cheese on both pizzerias pies were in perfect balance.  I liked the bottom crust at Denino's better because it was perfectly browned and a little crisper.  It makes me wonder what is a true NY style pie now since both pizzerias started making pizzas a long time ago.  I saw at Lee's Tavern about how much cheese and sauce was applied.  It didn't look like a lot to me.  The rim crusts on both pizzas weren't really risen a lot, in comparison to how some NY style pizzas are here on the forum.  The rim crusts also were more crunchy or cracker like when eaten.  The slices at both pizzerias could be folded.  I think it is interesting how differently we think of NY style pizzas here on the forum.  I wanted to go to Joe and Pat's in Staten Island to compare their pizzas, but I didn't make it there because of time constraints.  I heard Joe and Pat's also makes  very good pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
My oldest daughter went to visit my youngest daughter this past weekend.  I asked her if she could bring home some things from La Bella Marketplace.  These are the things she brought me home.  My daughter couldn't read my chicken scratch writing  :-D and brought me home the Mozzarella Straccialella instead of the crescenza-stracchino.  I guess I will have to wait until I can get up to NY again to purchase the crescenza-stracchino.  I had wanted to try that cheese on another attempt at a pizza I had been trying awhile ago.  I am not sure what I am going to try the scamorza cheese on.  If anyone had ideas let me know.  I have no idea how the scamorza's cheeses taste or melt on pizza.

Norma

Offline jsaras

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
IMO, scamorza tastes a lot like provolone. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
IMO, scamorza tastes a lot like provolone.

Thanks Jonas!  It was supposed to have been made on the premises.  Maybe will try the dry one tomorrow.  I guess the wetter would be be better for NP pies.

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »
Does anyone know what temperature Denino's bakes at in the Bakers Pride ovens? Recently saw a segment and man, that looks like a super crispy pie.