A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting pizza off the peel.  (Read 2797 times)

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
Re: Getting pizza off the peel.
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
Thanks Amola and Steve..both good ideas..I'm sure i'm increasing my degree of difficulty at least a little by doing this on a rotating Blackstone

No clue if it's a reasonable suggestion, by what about adding a button so you can stop the rotation when you load the pie.

Ira

Offline jmcyow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »
What will resolve your problem once and for all is a tip frequently mentioned in this forum: parchment paper. I experienced the same issue and have had very mixed results with flour and/semolina. The last straw was the use of perhaps a little too much semolina on the peel and the resulting burning of it, causing my smoke detectors to go ballistic. Same happened when giving a slight jerk to the peel  nonetheless caused some cheese to fall on the stone. Messy, smelly and smoky!

A quick search on the forum yielded this super easy solution. Simply put enough parchment on your peel to cover your pizza's surface area then assemble it on the parchment and peel. It will slide effortlessly on your pizza stone. After about 3 minutes, quickly remove the parchment paper using tongs and something to hold the pizza in place. You may re-use it if not too scorched. Works every time. Also, the beauty with this trick is that you can build a pizza and transfer it on your counter then build another one if that's your plan. Transferring back to the peel is just as easy.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
Thanks Ira, Some guys have done it..I've tried it with a foot switch.
Feels like training wheels on a bike, gutter bumpers in a bowling alley. :-D 

Plus it allows the possibility of the motor not responding immediately to being turned back on...I've seen what happens to the BS platter when the burner (jet burner rocket launcher) is on and the platter not turning. It's not a pretty picture. Well, if you like glowing lava-looking steel, it's rather attractive.

Yet the turning platter is pretty lame in the excuse department for off-round pies. I mean, my pies that are round ( well, I'm never 100%  but i d get close  ) are launched on the same platter. so...

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »
JMC,

I know it would work, I really do. I've tried it, it does.

Kinda don't want to, though. It's a craft thing. I'd rather fail and fail and fail, and eventually get it.

But I really do appreciate the thought.

:)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
JMC,

I know it would work, I really do. I've tried it, it does.

Kinda don't want to, though. It's a craft thing. I'd rather fail and fail and fail, and eventually get it.

But I really do appreciate the thought.

:)

Thatís how I feel about par-baking. Canít explain or defend it - just how it is.
-Tony

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
JPB -

I feel your pain. I call them footballs. I seem to get more footballs when I hesitate. Then once you get a football the hesitation/confidence falls increasing the likelihood of another football. It's a vicious cycle.

I used to use a blackstone more often than I do now. To launch, I turned the flame off with the front knob, stopped the turn table, launched the pizza, turned the turn table back on, and then relight the burner. With practice, I got pretty quick.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
rascali,

Tom Lehmann, who has spent a lot of time in pizzerias in his long career, frowns on the blow method, as he elaborated on that method at Reply 23 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18189.msg211104#msg211104

Oh God, what a bunch of Mary's! lol  For those who have the BOH looking over your shoulder, or whose friends can see the cold sore on your lips, you could try a turkey baster...

but for those with a wet or overly fermented dough (and hungry friends) it's a nice trick for a safe launch

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
Re: Getting lots off the peel.
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2019, 04:01:54 AM »
This may work to some extent in a standard kitchen oven, but I think it would be a disaster when dealing with the extremely high heat of a wood-fired oven and its floor.

I would suggest to just keep on practicing and you'll get better and better. One of the biggest tips I learned that helped me was to have a small bowl of flour available to thoroughly coat the dough ball at the beginning and then shake off the excess. This makes a big difference. Start off with smaller pizzas and slowly work your way up to larger ones. Also, open up your dough in one lightly-floured area to get it to size, then move it to another lightly-floured area to top it, and then slide it all onto a lightly-floured peel to launch, shaking it once or twice to make sure it didn't stick before putting it in the oven. The longer it remains on the peel, the more chance it will start sticking on you.

If you watch videos of people who do it day in and day out and make it look easy, they really don't push the pizza forward as much as quickly pull the peel backwards once the edge of the pizza starts touching the floor.

Good luck!

I have found that cardboard works wonders as a peel for placing the pie on the stone in the home oven.  Then, a metal peel or, if the pie is small enough, a large wide spatula to remove it.  Since I usually make 8 to 10 inch pies, I have several VERY WIDE "plastic/synthetic" spatulas that remove them from the stone with relative ease.

My oven is at best 550 and the stone at about 500+/-

The cardboard is cut from just about ANY corrugated cardboard box and resists sticking very well!

A pizza box is a really good source...

Of course, I only make pizzas at home for myself, so disregard if you are in a commercial situation.

(smile)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:11:40 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline Steveparadox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
The way I have overcome this problem is by stretching the pizza base, then transferring it to the peel and loading it with toppings as quickly as possible. I've not had a problem trying to get it off the peel in a good while now

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 04:47:35 AM »
Panko.

Game changer.
John

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2019, 12:33:04 PM »
Still using cornmeal, MR? Burns pretty badly...semolina would give you same slidability without the burned corn muffin aroma. Smooth sailing still  ;)
I tried both cornmeal and semolina early on and didnít like the texture/taste.

Offline Dippenwood

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 06:33:27 PM »
GI Peel makes a great peel for launching. I bought one from amazon.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
I tried both cornmeal and semolina early on and didnít like the texture/taste.

Panko.

Game changer.
John