A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "Healthier" pizza?  (Read 354 times)

Offline CDennis

• Forever Experimenting
"Healthier" pizza?
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
Love my recipe.  Love the results.  So, of course it's time to experiment.

My recipe is pretty standard:
100% KA BF
57.5% water (pre heated to around 80F)
2.25% salt
2.75% sugar
1.25% EVOO
0.33% ADY (proofed for 10 min at 105F)
Cold fermented for 2 or 3 days depending on schedule.

Once I tried to make a 100% whole wheat version using the same ratios as above.  Crackers were more spongy than that disaster.

Today, I'm trying to sub in 10% whole wheat to see what happens.  I usually target 675 grams / 3 pies, so the math works out to be 67.5 g WW flour and 607.5 g KA BF.  Everything else is the same.

Anybody else play with WW flour?  Care to share results of your trials?
Any predictions on this one?  Surely it'll be better than the 100% WW version!

Offline nickyr

Re: "Healthier" pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Iíve done a couple doughs with like a quarter whole wheat flour or a fifth rye flour and they came out very wellónice flavor, texture seemed about the same. I usually use 2% oil. I know thatís supposed to make it more tender but I havenít tried with less so I donít know if itís necessary.

Good luck!

Offline pepmusholiv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
I've made several 100% whole white wheat pizzas using barryvabeach's recipe and flow at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47880.0
One 'healthy' aspect of these 100% WWW pizzas is that the drive to plow through slices shuts down a lot quicker than with AP/BF or such.  It's not because of any lack of taste, just something much more satiating.  You can get ground WWW at a lot of grocery stores these days; Prairie Gold is at the Walmarts around here, and King Arthur WWW at the Safeways.

There was one pizza that, if I remember correctly, was made with flour that I'd just ground (an unknown hard white wheat from a local buy-in-bulk place) that had a sort of nutty flavor that was especially good, but I haven't been able to recreate that (and my bench for grinding is now covered with seedlings for planting next month).  That pizza may have also been cooked at the higher temps that barryvabeach also recommends for WW - I'd been screwing around with using the broiler in my home oven to supper heat a 3/8" steel and failed to measure just how hot it got.

There are several other 100% WW recipes in the Specialty-Grains area of the forum.  I've tried a few of them, and the one linked above seemed to work out best for me.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:46:04 PM by pepmusholiv »

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
50% Prairie Gold, 50% KABF has worked for me.
Also 50% Kamut, 50% KABF

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
There has been much past discussion here on how to properly determine the dough absorption when using whole wheat flour.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:38 PM »
It's not really the fats that kill you, it's the processed  meat that does.

You're best off using unprocessed meat to be somewhat healthy.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline CDennis

• Forever Experimenting
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »
Whelp...I don't know why I even tried it, but now that I did, I'll never go back to 100% KA BF.  The 10% whole wheat (also KA brand) added a hint of a nutty flavor, beautiful "tinged" color, and did wonders for the texture.  I just whipped up a second dough batch this weekend for a Tuesday cook to validate my new "gold standard", and if confirmed, the recipe book will forever be changed.  I also lost two pounds but that may be an unrelated byproduct and have something to do with the six soccer games my boys enjoyed this weekend (soccer tourney).

My wife likes the char...here's a pic of the last two pieces...

C

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »
Several forum members, myself included, have produced 100% whole wheat pizza crust using Villa Romaís formula. I havenít done it in a long time, but it was excellent- though the flavor was pretty aggressively whole wheat dominant. As for being ďhealthier,Ē given what many of us put on top to make our pizza taste good, I donít think in the big picture it really makes much difference.

Offline eshoremd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
Im new here and really have no clue what Im doing but Im learning.

I made this one Saturday

265g King Arthur whole wheat flour
132g King arthur Bread flour
230g water, 58%
8g sea salt
2g IDY
8g sugar
8g EVOO

Contadina pizza sauce
Ground venison
Harris Teeter low moisture 2% mozz

I thought it was good lol

Offline CDennis

• Forever Experimenting
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Im new here and really have no clue what Im doing but Im learning.

I made this one Saturday

265g King Arthur whole wheat flour
132g King arthur Bread flour
230g water, 58%
8g sea salt
2g IDY
8g sugar
8g EVOO

Contadina pizza sauce
Ground venison
Harris Teeter low moisture 2% mozz

I thought it was good lol

If it tasted good and you are enjoying the process, then "I'll have to go ahead and uhhh, disagree" with the no clue what you are doing comment.  I'm always experimenting and tweaking and if it works for you, then you win.  I liken it to buying a car, if you got what YOU THINK was a good price, that's all that matters.  Same with your pies.

One suggestion...look around (on this website, or elsewhere) and find a recipe for your own sauce.  I experimented with every packaged sauce and my pies took off when I started to make my own.

Finally, personally I'm thrilled with subbing in 10% WW flour.  Who knows what 5 or 50% might taste like, but that's a story for....tomorrow.

Out.

wordpress