A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Staten Island detroit style  (Read 826 times)

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
Staten Island detroit style
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:38:46 PM »
After reading a bunch of thing here and elsewhere about Detroit, I was mesmerized. I had to do it.

I purchased the Detroit Style Pizza in each size,and  it was time to give the 10x14 pan a go.

My dough is my best sicilian recipe I have perfected in the last month, a high hydration dough made with Mulino Marino Manitoba, Maiorca flour from Sicily an a little spelt flour.
(575gm, 125 gm, 50 gm) with 590 ml warmish water and 4 grams fresh yeast, 20 grams seasalt and 15 grams olive oil.
3 hour rest/36 hour cold fermentation and divide in two and another 20 hours in fridge.

One half pound of fresh made shredded mozzarella. and about a half stick of pepperoni.  The tomatoes are San Marzano brand, Whole Peeled Tomatoes, USA. Cooked with a bit of oil and dried garlic. Some Sicilian oregano at the last minute and into a 480 degree oven for 15 minutes.

The result was EXACTLY what I wanted. The edges were nicely cooked and while the pan did stick a bit, I had to work some to free it. I did use a liberal amount of olive oil before I set this into the pan for a 4 hour proof at room temperature. Anyway, it's mine, I like it.

Thank to all the great info here.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Staten Island detroit style
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Looks and sounds great!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »
Just curious: what style did you make most often before venturing into DS? It’s and outstanding looking pizza! Appears you made a huge amount of progress in a short time, though I don’t know how long you worked on your dough formula. Very, very nice.
-Tony

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »
Thanks. I have been re-working my dough since January. I incorporated what I have learned from my Pinsa experiments as well as my taglia/teglia exploits. I took what I like best from all my styles.
I have been doing my version margherita for about 11 years now but always found myself reworking my dough recipes. Reinhart didn't do it for me.  Only when I got serious  after visiting Rome for the second time and Naples for my first did I 'get it'. I now use ancient flours and a purer form of bread and pizza flours. What I have incorporated into this is the lightness of the pinsa style owed to the long cold fermentation with the spelt added in as well as the 75-80% hydrations so the disciplines are the same. I have always made a sicilian pie but always found my pie a bit heavy but last nights proved to be a lighter more digestible version that I learned in Rome. Having met people like Lello Ravagnan & Franco Pepe made me realize that the foundation of the pizza is of the utmost importance to get right.
What a fun ride it's been.

ps- Chris Bianco just happened to stop by the 2018 Identiti Gelose NYC back in October!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
Definitely not your first rodeo! Great story and history.
-Tony

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:11:51 AM »
what is the difference between pinsa and teglia / taglia?

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Greater minds here know better but in my limited mind the Pinsa is a fabricated idea based on secret/proprietary recipe blends using soy, rice and farro flours while teglia is a long fermentation and high hydration to achieve a certain flavor taglia is usually trays and teglia is oven deck, typically drawn out to be about about a meter long.

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »
Thanks. I am mesmerized by teglia and enjoy handling the high hydration dough. Bringing the lightness (“digestibility”?) of that to Detroit style is a really cool idea. You inspire me to dig deeper into teglia, with different flours and the such.

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
John, that's awesome. Report back please.
Next time I up the dough size by 10% weight. This was about 670 grams. Next time I do 730 grams for same pan for just a wee-bit more thickness.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:30:29 PM by mikep »

Offline seligmansdog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Spectacular, really impressed.  I suck at high hydration doughs for bread, but wonder if pizza would be more forgiving.  Lots of stretch and folds preceding and after bulk? 

Thanks.

wordpress