A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gian323 Sicilain Journey  (Read 578 times)

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
Gian323 Sicilain Journey
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:19:34 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I'll post my progress with my Sicilian pizza here.

I'm okay at pizzamaking (maybe intermediate), but all feedback is appreciated. I'm going to school and working so I don't have much time but when I try to make a pie when I get some free time.

Here we go:

I used Adam Kuban's Sunday Square recipe from his blog

The ingredient amounys are as follows (I'm  on mobile):

580 grams KABF 100% (20.44 oz)
4 grams ADY .7%
7 grams sugar 1%
377 grams water (cold from the tap)65% (13.29 oz)
17 grams fine sea salt 3% (0.61 oz // ~3 tsp)
23 grams olive oil 4% (0.82 oz)

Measured with a kitchen scale, mixed in a KA stand mixer. Balled and left to rise in an oiled bowl for one hour, CF overnight.

Bowl left at RT one hour then spread in a 13x18 WinCo Sicilian pan (first time using it) with 1/4 cup evoo. Stretched to edges as much as I could. Let rise for one hour and stretched to sides some more. Preheated 14x16 1/4 baking steel 1/3 from bottom for 1.5 hours at 550 (no infared thermometer, yet).

Stretched and pulled to edges after 1 hour and started the sauce. 28 oz whole fresh packed walmart tomatoes (I heard they were 6 in 1) pureed with 1 tsp sugar, 2 pinches diamond kosher salt, spash of water to rinse can. Sauteed 6 cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp pepper flakes in butter and evoo and added tomatoes and half a medium onion. Let simmer 30 mins.

I put some crumbled grana on dough, topped with about 1 cup sauce.

Here's where it gets goofy.

I used grocery store stringed cheese (lol it was all I had). Topped with more grana and baked for 12 minutes, turning halfway.

2 spatulas to transfer pizza from Sicilian pan to cooling rack. (Attempted to) cut on cooling rack.

Topped with grana and drizzled with Mediterranean Whole Foods evoo.

Crust burned a bit on the bottom due to a 13x18 pan on a 14x16 steel. A dark spot in the middle, also. String cheese didn't melt but just oddly browned, ended up looking like broiled Oaxacan cheese.

Flavor was great despite string cheese (it said PSLM but oh well) and some burnt edges.

Overall, I'd give myself a C. Even though it wasn't my best I still got to eat pizza, enjoy my sauce, and play with some equipment.

I probably need a large cutting board amd some WMLMM.

I hope y'all enjoyed and I can't wait to try again!

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Gian323 Sicilain Journey
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »
Gonna try same recipe but 550 off the steel mid-oven and throw it on the steel to crisp bottom at the end. I'll try it in the pan first but tempted to throw it on directly.

Maybe some real cheese this time. Boar's Head pepperoni if I'm feeling fancy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:07:09 PM by Gian323 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:22:51 PM »
I’m looking forward to seeing this once you get your heat (top-bottom balance) squared away and find/commit to a cheese you can work with and enjoy.

Love your attitude “Even though it wasn't my best I still got to eat pizza, enjoy my sauce, and play with some equipment.”

-Tony

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
Tried doing a grandma recipe with a modified procedure.

500 g KABF 100%
14 g salt - 3%
6 g yeast - 1%
20 g evoo - 4%
325 g water - 65%
865 g - total

Mixed in a stand mixer for 6 minutes. Rose for 45 minites in an oiled 12x18x1 rolled steel pan. Cooked on a rack in the middle of the oven for 12 minutes and tried to finish on a 1/4 steel.

Came out a bit dense and the dough didn't cook properly. Outside browned before any oven spring. Some of the dough in the middle was undercooked.

Going to try this recipe with a longer rise and cook on the steel on the second to thw bottom rack.

Still, a day making pizza with my loved ones beats a day doing something else =)

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Tried another grandma.

500 g KABF 100
14 g salt - 3
6 g ADY yeast - 1
20 g evoo - 4
325 g water - 65
865 g - total

Mixed ingredients in a KA stand mixer for 7 minutes with hook attachment. 1 hr RT rise in a 12x18 winco Sicilian pan with 1/4 evoo. Topped with crushed canned tomatoes, blend of PSLMM and WMLMM, grana padano, and chopped garlic.

Baked 13 mins on a 550 steel 2nd from the bottom rack, turned halfway through. Wanted to crisp the bottom a bit more so I took the pie out of the pan and directly on the steel. Should have watched more closely as it burned a little.

It's tough to get the bottom crispy after the bake. Getting used to using the winco pan and experimenting.

I'll update more as I brainstorm. May try a 2 hour rise as the recipe suggested. I got lunch prepped for the week at least. May try the sauce on top of the cheese as it's browning too much.

Still to try parbaking.

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »
Finally some success! Just in time for my mom's birthday lol

580 grams KABF 100% (20.44 oz)
4 grams ADY .7%
7 grams sugar 1%
377 grams water (cold from the tap)65% (13.29 oz)
17 grams diamond kosher salt 3% (0.61 oz // ~3 tsp)
23 grams olive oil 4% (0.82 oz)

RT ferment for 2 hours. CF for 24 hours. Proofed in pan for 2 hours.

Grana padana on dough, especially crust. Sauce was crushed great value tomatoes with salt, sugar, and garlic oil. 12 oz sliced grocery deli LMM under sauce. Topped with water-moistened boars head pepperoni and more grana.

Baked at 550 with a steel on the lower-middle rack. Topped with fermented garlic honey and pecorino post-bake.

I wish i knew how to get the crust crispy out of the oven. Some nice browning but little crunch.

Reheats in a toaster-oven or pan nicely though!

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »
Ooh pretty!

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:57:03 PM »
Thank you!

I'm gonna try a prebake soon!

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 09:40:02 PM »
Plans for the prebake:

2 steel 450 bake with the sicilian pan. I only have a 14x16x1/4 steel and a 14x14x1/8. I'm going to try to preheat with the 1/8 steel on the bottom of the oven and the 1/4 in the middle. 1st bake with cheese on the top steel, and then toppings and bake on the bottom steel.

My rationale is to use the oven spring on the top per Tony G's prebake and finish on the bottom.

Finals are coming up and the bake may not be for a few weeks. I already have the ingredients I need, just need time haha

Prebake idea 2:

550 on previous positions (2nd from bottom) with cheese and a light layer of sauce to keep from drying. Rest on cooling rack for 30 minutes before topping

Maybe this way I can do a few and bake them in a pan.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:34:28 PM by Gian323 »

Offline Gian323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:31:42 AM »
Prebake a success! Also used a aluminum half sheet pan

500 g KABF 100%
14 g salt - 3%
6 g ady - 1%
20 g evoo - 4%
325 g water - 65%
10 g sugar 2%

Used the no knead method and left it room temperature for 12 hours. Spread the dough in an evoo greased sheet pan for an hour in a warm turned-off oven, also had a bowl of hot water inside.

Spread again and left pizza out for 30 mins. Preheated oven to 550 with no steel.

Topped with aged mozz, maybe 10-12oz. Prebaked for 10 mins on bottom rack,.

Took pizza out of pan and onto wire rack. Topped with parm, sauce, and other toppings. Put pie onto pan, parm on cornicione, and baked for 8 mins again.

Put on wire rack out of the oven and dusted with parm.

Toppings were garlic and prosciutto. Sauce was crushed Cento with salt, pepper flakes,  and 1/2 tsp sugar.

Crust was nice and crispy on the bottom. No steel, no sicilian pan.

This was my favorite sicilian I've ever made. Thanks to this forum!

wordpress