A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party substitute options (for US customers)  (Read 3340 times)

Offline annarborpizzaguy

Pizza Party substitute options (for US customers)
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
I wanted to start a dedicated thread in the wake of the news that Pizza Party will no longer be shipping to the US. I thought it made sense to try to put this conversation in one thread as opposed to a couple threads where there have been some discussion on it.  Simone from Pizza Party posted an update following the news in the following thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60502.msg607473#msg607473

I know there are lots of threads on Ooni/Roccbox type of ovens but those are much smaller and not really in the same market as Pizza Party IMO. The parameters of what I'm looking for are:
  • portable/countertop style - not a built-in WFO, something that could be moved if I move houses
  • ships assembled - e.g. no masonry work needed to put the dome together)
  • gas option
  • capable of making more than 1 pizza at a time
  • capable of cooking at neapolitan temps (800F+)

Per Simone's recommendation in the link above, he mentions three other manufacturers:

1) Alfapizza - https://www.alfaforni.com/us/product-category/domestic-wood-and-gas-ovens/
2) Zio Ciro - https://ziociro.com/
3) Fontanaforni - https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/collections/outdoor-pizza-ovens

All three of these seem to have options that fit the above criteria. I have not found a lot of info on these brands on the pizzamaking forums. I sent a request in to Zio Ciro on the Subito Cotto 60 and 80 and ended up talking with their rep in Florida who handles their US operations. The website lists these as wood burning units but there is a gas option add-on for them. He seemed very knowledgable and helpful and answering the few questions I had. My preliminary research indicated that the Subito 60 or 80 could be very good Pizza Party substitutes. I did not research the others as thoroughly yet.

What other options are out there that should be considered?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:39:54 AM by annarborpizzaguy »

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Party substitute options (for US customers)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread....I was just about to get the gas Pssione though it was at the far end of my budget...im hoping for a good substitute soon

Offline annarborpizzaguy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
I will add to this thread as I find out more information on these manufacturers or others that appear to be good options.

Alfa - Appears to sell through a network of retailers in the US. There is a map on their website and it looks like they have locations in most parts of the US at places where you'd buy high-end appliances or outdoor furniture.  The "Stone" model appears to be the only gas one.

FontanaForni - Similar to Alfa in terms of selling through retailers, though not as many it seems. Looks like you can order directly from them as well. They have two gas models - Margherita (capacity: 1 12" pizza or 2 10" pizzas) and the Mangiafuoco (capacity: 2 12" pizzas + 10" pizza  or 3 10" pizzas).

Zio Ciro - Looks like you can order online. Two gas models: Subito Cotto 60 (1 12" pizza or 2 10") or Subito Cotto 80 (~2 12" or ~3 10" from what I can tell). They have a bigger Subito Cotto 95, but it is out of stock.

Notably, only FontanaForni appears to have Saputo tiles as an optional upgrade.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 01:58:31 PM »
Notably, only FontanaForni appears to have Saputo tiles as an optional upgrade.

This is definitely a nice option but I was really surprised to see their cost of upgrades to a Saputo floor start at $400. I guess those of us who upgraded their PP ovens didn't realize the deal we were getting at the time at just a little over a $100.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 04:34:54 AM »
Just looked at  Ciro subitto cotto 80....it weighs 400 lbs.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 05:55:09 AM »
how abut Forno Bravo they have a 24 inch and a 28 inch oven. They are pre assembled have gas options you can get a metal cover, tile, or traditional painted refractory. They are US made and have gas options. They also have barrel vault steel ovens.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »
Here is another. Not a recommendation, I never used one nor know anyone who has.

https://www.ilfornino.com/
https://www.ilfornino.com/ilfornino-pizza-ovens/?sort=priceasc
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:55:50 PM by ebpizza »

Offline oronzous

• a'pizza ca pummarola n'coppa
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 07:05:38 PM »
From my reading of pizza web forums in italian, the Zio Ciro Subito Cotto has always been a favorite, along with the Pizza Party.

Offline live4u

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »
I think nobody can beat PP from price perspective for the features it had (ie wood and gas burning especially)

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline chrisdias

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 09:23:34 PM »
Related... what do people use for covers for their Pizzone (https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/wood-fired-oven-cover-pizzone.html)?  I bought a cheap one a while back which is starting to fall apart, but I can't buy one from the pizza party shop b/c I live in the US.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »
Related... what do people use for covers for their Pizzone (https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/wood-fired-oven-cover-pizzone.html)?  I bought a cheap one a while back which is starting to fall apart, but I can't buy one from the pizza party shop b/c I live in the US.

When I was looking to replace the cover that came with my Bolore, I couldn't find anything online that would seem to work until I stumbled across https://www.coversandall.com/ which makes custom-fit covers with a lot of material and tie-down options. You can even send them a photo or diagram with the dimensions of your oven and they'll work up a quote for one made to your exact specifications.

The prices seemed reasonable to me for what they were offering and I almost ordered one but I ultimately decided to keep using the cover that came with it for now while it's still in good condition. If you do end up getting one from them, please report back with a review.

Offline gearhound

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
I'm looking for a propane oven available in the US able to cook just one 15-16" pizza...if it could occasionally be wood-fired too that'd be nice. I really like the looks of the Fontana Margherita, but the added cost for the gas model seems excessive ($2200 vs $3750).

Are there any other smaller propane ovens around the 2k price point? I'm considering getting the OONI 16", but not sure how such a small oven compares in cook quality to something with a more substantial build? I'd prefer to buy something just once and not be looking to upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline nirc

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
Other options (copied from older post), though some only fit 1:

Edil Planet Forni's ETNA $735 (includes shipping)
Edil Planet Forni's NONNO LILLO $570 + unknown s/h
Roccbox $600 - 20% promo code + 10% sales tax = $528
Uuni Pro $600 - 20% promo code + 10% sales tax = $528
Napoli $300 + 90 gas attachment - 25% promo code = $289
Maximus brand ???
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:02:36 AM by nirc »

Offline iamrook85

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »
Other options (copied from older post), though some only fit 1:

Edil Planet Forni's ETNA $735 (includes shipping)
Edil Planet Forni's NONNO LILLO $570 + unknown s/h
Roccbox $600 - 20% promo code + 10% sales tax = $528
Uuni Pro $600 - 20% promo code + 10% sales tax = $528
Napoli $300 + 90 gas attachment - 25% promo code = $289
Maximus brand ???

Hey nirc,
What is the uuni/ooni 20% promo code you mentioned above? Thanks!

-Mike

Offline Justincase102

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
Hey nirc,
What is the uuni/ooni 20% promo code you mentioned above? Thanks!

-Mike

Would love to know as well

Offline Cava1985

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »
What about the Forno Venezia? Has anybody tried it? Would you recommend it?

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
Does anyone know why PP stopped shipping to the states ? Is it temporary (due to the coronavirus situation perhaps) ?

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
Does anyone know why PP stopped shipping to the states ? Is it temporary (due to the coronavirus situation perhaps) ?

It seems like it is a permanent decision. Late last summer PP substantially increased their prices on both the ovens and the cost of shipping to the U.S. (and angering a number of members here who were about to purchase one). Then sales were halted for some time in late 2019. Around the first of this year it was announced that the family business had been taken over by another company and the new policy was that PP products will not be sold outside of Europe. No explanation was ever given that I've seen.   

Offline cjohnsondrum

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 04:17:59 PM »
I'm currently using an ilFornino Pro Mini WFO.  I do like it, after much experimentation to figure out how to balance top and bottom heat.  But any oven, WFO or not, has a learning curve.  I chose this brand because their showroom is driving distance from my house, so I could easily go pick it up in Nyack, NY. 
The thing is very heavy, but certainly movable when you move to a different house.  I paid around 1200.  Happy to answer any questions about it. 

Chris

wordpress