A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Waring WPO500 Electric oven - thoughts?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
Waring WPO500 Electric oven - thoughts?
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
This would be for home use and NY pies. Thoughts? I like how it can go up to 18"

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wpo500-single-deck-countertop-pizza-oven-120v/929WPO500.html
Nick

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
Re: Waring WPO500 Electric oven - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
This would be for home use and NY pies. Thoughts? I like how it can go up to 18"

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wpo500-single-deck-countertop-pizza-oven-120v/929WPO500.html

I hate this oven, very unbalanced heat.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:57:43 PM »
It seems like people who were into this oven have been more focused on the Breville oven now. I think the Breville is more flexible. I have no personal experience with either.

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »

It's a great oven, although being 110v. is not practical for real commercial use except maybe in a low throughput environment.  It is also rather heavy and takes up a lot of space.  If you replace the stone with a cordierite kiln shelf (I'd go with 3/4" thickness, like $35 from a potter store), it is even better.  Do not understand the comment on temperature variation; of course there is temperature variation in the cooking chamber, that is true of every oven and that is why you need to turn your pizza as it bakes, at least once, probably more like twice.  It's an analogue oven which has a huge advantage over the Breville; it doesn't have a brainboard to go out on you which will turn that pricey oven into a boat anchor at some point.  It also has a much larger baking chamber and can accomodate an 18" pizza if you so desire.

For a home user this is a dream oven.  You should be able to beat this price from another vendor.  I love Webstaurant store and we use them in our business, however you can probably save at least $100, maybe up to $200 from looking around online and getting bids as necessary.  Potential competitors to check would include Katom and Acitydiscount.com  There is an ebay seller but he was previously misrepresenting refurbished units as New in his listings which were at a big discount.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:11:46 PM by champignon »

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
It's a great oven, although being 110v. is not practical for real commercial use except maybe in a low throughput environment.  It is also rather heavy and takes up a lot of space.  If you replace the stone with a cordierite kiln shelf (I'd go with 3/4" thickness, like $35 from a potter store), it is even better.  Do not understand the comment on temperature variation; of course there is temperature variation in the cooking chamber, that is true of every oven and that is why you need to turn your pizza as it bakes, at least once, probably more like twice.  It's an analogue oven which has a huge advantage over the Breville; it doesn't have a brainboard to go out on you which will turn that pricey oven into a boat anchor at some point.  It also has a much larger baking chamber and can accomodate an 18" pizza if you so desire.

For a home user this is a dream oven.  You should be able to beat this price from another vendor.  I love Webstaurant store and we use them in our business, however you can probably save at least $100, maybe up to $200 from looking around online and getting bids as necessary.  Potential competitors to check would include Katom and Acitydiscount.com  There is an ebay seller but he was previously misrepresenting refurbished units as New in his listings which were at a big discount.

That's all great info-especially the other vendor recommendations.

I don't like the Breville for two reasons. 1) I had one of their smart toaster ovens which died after a year, and 2)I want to do bigger pies than it can accomodate. I currently do 14" pies because that's all I feel safe putting on my steel (which will allow up to 16" if I do a PERFECT launch).

This would be completely for home use, making 2 pizzas once a week, so a bit overkill, but I move around a bit and I get sick of seeing how the new oven at the house is going to work.
Nick

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
I see that on eBay they are selling the reconditioned ones for $599...+$200 for shipping-ouch!

How bad do these heat up the kitchen? Is it similar/better/worse than having your home oven on full blast for 1.5 hours?
Nick

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 12:52:09 AM »
I see that on eBay they are selling the reconditioned ones for $599...+$200 for shipping-ouch!

How bad do these heat up the kitchen? Is it similar/better/worse than having your home oven on full blast for 1.5 hours?

It's reasonably well insulated, however all the insulation does is to delay the transmission of heat from the oven to the room in which it sits.  Any other result would defy the laws of thermodynamics :-)  In the winter, any transferred heat would be a plus in most places, but in the summer if you have air conditioning it could be a minus, although I doubt it would be a severe one.

Perhaps worse is the fact that the oven is unvented, so any smoke from burning flour or any errant toppings or cheese will get into your house. It's best not to launch pizzas into the oven that have too much floury coating  This of course is a bit of a catch-22, in that too little flour with launching could mean you have a launch failure, and too much flour could smoke up your house.  I'm still working on this myself.

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:28 AM »
It's reasonably well insulated, however all the insulation does is to delay the transmission of heat from the oven to the room in which it sits.  Any other result would defy the laws of thermodynamics :-)  In the winter, any transferred heat would be a plus in most places, but in the summer if you have air conditioning it could be a minus, although I doubt it would be a severe one.

Perhaps worse is the fact that the oven is unvented, so any smoke from burning flour or any errant toppings or cheese will get into your house. It's best not to launch pizzas into the oven that have too much floury coating  This of course is a bit of a catch-22, in that too little flour with launching could mean you have a launch failure, and too much flour could smoke up your house.  I'm still working on this myself.

That all makes sense. I donít think Iíd have too much of an issue with the extra flour burning. My gas oven I currently have does t vent outside and the microwave above it just has a vent that blows right back into the room so I donít bother with it for pizza making.
Nick

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 07:07:48 AM »
I'm looking at this because it can do 18", can't find much info on it online though. Have 2 questions, running at 550 to make NY pizzas about how long does it take between bakes to get back up to temp? And from the looks of them I'm guessing  the Avantco DPO-18-S is a re-labled Waring?  It's quite a bit cheaper, but maybe there's a reason for that? I know sometimes a product will get re-labeled for another company with lower specs.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:33:22 AM by Quebert »

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
If you want to make a NY Pie at home you cannot do better than this oven.  As for second pie launch it is ready by the time you return with your peel for the second pie.  The heat is very uniform and there is never a problem where the top or bottom cooks first. And I rarely bother to turn either.    As for heating the Kitchen  it does no worse actually better than using your home oven.    You can find refurbished ones and ones with only damaged boxes on Ebay.  At store PacoJet sells them.  Shipping is high because these ovens are very heavy and built like tanks.   A call to tech support will tell you if the Avantco is a Waring it sure looks like it from the pictures.  Now for the 18 inch pie... you better be an expert launching from a peel.  I use an 18 inch screen ( they ruin the bottoms )  but a 17 inch is no problem.   

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
If you want to make a NY Pie at home you cannot do better than this oven.  As for second pie launch it is ready by the time you return with your peel for the second pie.  The heat is very uniform and there is never a problem where the top or bottom cooks first. And I rarely bother to turn either.    As for heating the Kitchen  it does no worse actually better than using your home oven.    You can find refurbished ones and ones with only damaged boxes on Ebay.  At store PacoJet sells them.  Shipping is high because these ovens are very heavy and built like tanks.   A call to tech support will tell you if the Avantco is a Waring it sure looks like it from the pictures.  Now for the 18 inch pie... you better be an expert launching from a peel.  I use an 18 inch screen ( they ruin the bottoms )  but a 17 inch is no problem.

Yes it does look great, the only thing I dislike is the 90 minute preheat. I know it's much smaller but my Koda comes up to temp in like 15 minutes.  Good idea to call tech support, when I Google the Avantco one most of the links that come up are for the Waring. But tech support could tell me for sure. After I posted last night I did some reading on threads on here on the WPO500 and it looks like if you put more insulation in it the preheating time drops a decent chunk.    And I could keep my Koda around for Neo bakes. 

I like how you said launching a 17" is "no problem" I'm pretty sure it would be hard hard hard for me. I got 12" down pat, never tried launching a 14" but I suspect even that would give me some trouble while I adjusted. 16" or 17" I couldn't imagine. But a few months ago when I started for the first few weeks I could barely launch a 10". So maybe I could do a 17" who knows. And you don't even turn the pizza? REALLY? That alone has me sold on it lol.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:03:15 PM by Quebert »

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »
the only time I had to turn the pie was using that ALUMINUM screen.  There seems to be a side rail of sorts on the Advantco in the pics I have a a 750 and there is no rail or heating element ? there.   Not sure if the 500 has that.

wordpress