A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why shape dough into balls before fermenting?  (Read 391 times)

Offline elektrolite

• I Love Pizza!
Why shape dough into balls before fermenting?
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
I want to make 5 neopolitan pizzas in a 390C pizza oven, but my fridge at home isn't very big, so I can't shape dough into balls before fermenting. I'm thinking of doing the following to work around this:
  • Make the dough and put the whole thing into one big bowl to ferment in the fridge overnight
  • 2 hours before cooking, take all the dough out of the fridge to warm to room temperature
  • As I make a pizza, tear a chunk out of the big ball of dough and shape into a pizza base. Repeat for each pizza until no more dough is left.

Will this make a massive difference to the taste? If so then is there a way around the small fridge problem?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:10:09 AM by elektrolite »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Why shape dough into balls before fermenting?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
Once you form the balls it will take hours for them to relax enough to stretch into skins.

Do you have enough room to make the balls and store them in individual plastic bags? Five balls won't take up much room that way.
Hans

Offline elektrolite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
Once you form the balls it will take hours for them to relax enough to stretch into skins.

Do you have enough room to make the balls and store them in individual plastic bags? Five balls won't take up much room that way.

Great idea, surprised I didn't think of it myself. Thanks!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
Great idea, surprised I didn't think of it myself. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Thanks really go to Tom, the Dough Doctor for the plastic bag method.
Hans

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
Plus, you can fit the dough balls in between the other stuff in the fridge or even place them on top of other things. They're actually easier to fit into a small fridge than a larger size bowl, not to mention that they will cool down more efficiently than a single larger size dough. Bring the individually bagged dough balls out of the fridge to warm to at least 50F prior to opening, some like to allow the dough to warm to 60F (Note: this is in reference to internal dough ball temperature), but depending upon your skill level at opening the dough balls into skins you might want to experiment with the temperature. The colder the dough is the easier it is to handle but it can be more difficult to open as the dough tends to be more elastic when cold. By allowing the dough to warm up a bit it becomes softer and more extensible which is easier to open if you have the necessary skill-set.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T