A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Relative Popularity of Different Cuisines, Including Pizza  (Read 210 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Relative Popularity of Different Cuisines, Including Pizza
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »
I thought that the article referenced below was quite interesting in that it tries to compare different cuisines, including pizza, in terms of their relative popularity:

https://pudding.cool/2018/02/restaurants/

Peter

Online dmckean44

• pizza pizza
Re: Relative Popularity of Different Cuisines, Including Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Going by that map, you would think we'd hear more about Iowa and Missouri style pizza.

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
It was not clear to me what the raw data was and how it was transformed/aggregated/interpreted.

There was this sentence:
Based on aggregated, anonymized, and differentially private data from users who have opted in to Google Location History, we ranked cities and counties by their most popular cuisine.

Does that mean that the data, i.e. the counts, are the numbers of google searches originating in the various locations? If I do a search on "pizza flours" or "Pizza in teglia", does that notch up the count for Michigan pizzaria popularity?

When I saw the name of the thread, I thought it was about the worldwide popularity of pizza. It seems to me (and I have essentially no real data to support this) that pizza is the closest thing there is to an "Earth food"; if aliens came to earth and asked what was the most popular food here (besides maybe "sides" like bread or rice), I think pizza would win.

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
Reality may be much different that what that study shows. NYC is not in the top ten for pizza? Beaten by Phoenix where there are five Mexican food shops on every block? Detroit ahead of Dallas for BBQ? All of SE Michigan has only about 20 BBQ restaurants. Hmm...
Hans

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »
Reality may be much different that what that study shows. NYC is not in the top ten for pizza? Beaten by Phoenix where there are five Mexican food shops on every block? Detroit ahead of Dallas for BBQ? All of SE Michigan has only about 20 BBQ restaurants. Hmm...

Well, NYC certainly has more diversity than Phoenix. So people have way more options. Pizza could be number 2 in Phoenix with 30% of the visits in Phoenix and number 2 in NYC with only 10% of the visits or something.

Or maybe there are just a lot of people visiting Pizza Bianco...

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »

Or maybe there are just a lot of people visiting Pizza Bianco...

Could be! :-D
Hans