A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: streamlining the menu further  (Read 1356 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
streamlining the menu further
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
We have probably one of the simplest menus in America but Friday night I decided to streamline it further by taking small pizzas and calzones off dinner service.  We have gotten to the point where it is too complicated managing  up to 16 things baking at time in our 2 deck ovens.  I tend the ovens and make the pizzas (open and sauce them)  which is fine when slow but on busy weeknights I almost lose my mind (and back bending to the lower deck oven).  Now the most I can have in the ovens is 8 large pies and or a combination of Sicilian and large.   1/2 way through Friday night I surrendered as we had 15 items going at a time from opening up to 6pm.  At the end of the night we made more money as well and I felt like I have 20 more years of pizza making in me.  When I called it quits I felt like I had 1 night left in me  :-D.  This week will be a hassle having to explain things to customers but it will be old news sooner than later.   Plus it makes making dough a whole lot easier as I am only going to make 1 batch of small dough balls for the week.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:08:09 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: streamlining the menu further
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:19:25 PM »
The reality of success and the reality and pain of the aging body! I wish you much more of the former and more energy for the latter brother!
One of my favorite quotes I've said here before......"Inside every old person, is a young person saying.....what the hell happened"???
 :P
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:08:39 AM »
Thanks!  Luckily my 62 year old body is still going strong for making pizzas.  I just have to respect it  :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:32:50 AM »
If nothing else, I have learned respect and learning to live within my physical means, go to the Y and swim a few days a week vs just sitting around and taking it, gotta fight back!!!! Grab the #*%$ bird by the neck!!!!!!😂🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
we decided to stop selling garlic knots and only offer slices, Sicilians, calzones, small pies, at lunch as well as large pies.  Our lunch service is still slow enough to do this.  Knots are very labor intensive and the return on the cost of ingredients - parm and romano from Italy, olive oil infused  with garlic- plus the oven space needed to prepare them is not worth it anymore.  We are also going to make 2 menus, one for lunch and one for dinner, so customers get less confused.  So now at nights I am just making large pizzas much like I grew up with in NJ and it is a breeze compared to managing up to 16 items(large pies, small pies, calzones, Sicilians, knots,) in the 2 ovens at once when 30 seconds can mean going from done to burnt and the orders are ringing off the hook :) 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:52:19 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 08:05:30 PM »
We are on a roll so figured go all the way.  I grew up with 16" pizzas the norm but went to 18" here in Reno for a "wow" factor as we were the largest pie in town. That has been great for business but with getting ever busier my ovens are only capable of doing 4- 18" pies per oven (we have two) which means only 8 pies can bake at once.  Launching and removing pies from the back of the bottom oven kills my back.  I am 6'2" and they were built for 5"8" bodies and I have to get on a knee to launch and remove the back 2 pies.  We are going to a 16" large and it will be the only pie available at dinner services and will be a good balance with dropping the 12" pie from the dinner menu.   My Blodgett 1000 ovens were designed for 6 (3x3)- 16" per oven which means I will be able to bake 6 on the top and 3 across the front of the bottom oven for a total of 9 large going at once.  Hopefully I won't have to do too many in the back of the bottom oven but if so they are lighter and easier to launch and remove.  This will decrease our wait times, use less sauce, less cheese, cook faster, less toppings, have to make less dough batches, cheaper price for pizza boxes, the pizza serving trays will fit on our dinning tables better, and the pies won't be so heavy (west coast people tend to go for mega toppings).  It will be a few dollars cheaper and will 6 cut them for slices at lunch. The only downside is the process of telling return/regular customers of all these new changes and a couple hundred dollars for some smaller peels and serving pans.   I will start the 16" not this week but next.  In the long run we are going to make more doing less and at 62 years old I have to respect the body even though the mind still feels and wants to act 30 :-D.  Frank Mastro planned these ovens to perfection and now I am going to use them just as they were intended.  I hope he shines down some good mojo on me when we switch to 16" pies.  Walter
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:53:30 PM by waltertore »

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Walter,

Would it be possible to raise your oven to accommodate your height?  Even a couple inches would help.

And scratching 18" pies off menu might mean those who would buy only 1 pie now might buy 2 instead, good move!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:08:52 AM by Rick_F »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
Walter,

Would it be possible to raise your oven to accommodate your height?  Even a couple inches would help.

And scratching 18" pies off menu might mean those who would buy only 1 pie now might buy 2 instead, good move!

Thanks for that suggestion.  I have thought about it but for now I think I am ok. Walter
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:56:17 AM by waltertore »

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
It's probably a good idea anyway since you eliminated small pies off the dinner menu. An 18" pizza is a lot of food if you're just one person.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »
It's probably a good idea anyway since you eliminated small pies off the dinner menu. An 18" pizza is a lot of food if you're just one person.

I am thinking the same thing.  My friend was in today who is a metal worker and said it would be easy to raise the stack a few inches.  It is great to know I have another option :) 

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
I ordered a bunch of 16"x18" wood peels for our large pies.  They came mail order(webstraunt store) and all were warped, split at glue seams, wood is still green, and only 15.5" wide, with a sticker on them "made in China".  I took a hand saw and sand paper to our old 21" peels and cut them to my specs.  What a PITA but now I have all the peels I need and know they are good ones and we are now really "artisan" :-D.  Walter
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:52:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
I ordered a bunch of 16"x18" wood peels for our large pies.  They came mail order(webstraunt store) and all were warped, split at glue seams, wood is still green, and only 15.5" wide, with a sticker on them "made in China".  I took a hand saw and sand paper to our old 21" peels and cut them to my specs.  What a PITA but now I have all the peels I need and know they are good ones and we are now really "artisan" :-D.  Walter

Webstraunt is junk everything from there. Lillsun manufacturing peels are the best. Why do you need so many peels? Especially if your the only one making pizza you shouldn’t need more than 1 good peel. Just wondering really.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »
Webstraunt is junk everything from there. Lillsun manufacturing peels are the best. Why do you need so many peels? Especially if your the only one making pizza you shouldn’t need more than 1 good peel. Just wondering really.

I open, sauce, launch, bake/tend the oven for every pie.  We have 1-2 toppers that help at lunch and dinner.  If I was to completely make, bake, every pie, we would not be able to keep up with orders but I do the entire process most lunches.  We have standing weekly orders for 10 or more pies during lunch so I prep most of them before launching so they don't sit too long.  Walter

I like the pine peels as they are very light and webstraunt carries them in the larger sizes I have been using. American Metalcraft peels weigh a ton and I need to keep things as light as possible as my body ain't what it use to be.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:40:44 PM by waltertore »

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
http://www.lillsun.com/pizza-peels.php

Check out Lillsun, best peels on the market, light as a feather.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 10:02:11 PM »

Completely agree on Lillsun.

AMC are heavy peels and webstaurant stuff is usually cheap quality.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »

The website doesn't seem to sell them. Is there another site that does?
Jon

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »

thanks for the link.  Do you about how much they cost?  The pine peels are great IMO when you get them nice and straight and a 16" is around 12 bucks.  Walter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Never mind, I sent them a request for a product price list from their contact page.
Jon

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 11:40:07 PM »
Never mind, I sent them a request for a product price list from their contact page.

I did the same

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 12:16:58 AM »