A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza-Town USA  (Read 2141 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Pizza-Town USA
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
Pizza Town? In the 70s?

To me, the slice here is probably reminiscent of what pizza was way back then. They bake hotter than, I think, any other NY pizzeria I've been to  ???

I'm also told the fat in their dough is not oil  ;D

Thanks!  You guessed my hydration :-D  The pizza town pie was the typical in the 70's but there were still a few old timers hanging around and I was lucky enough to hook up with one - Alfredo- whose shop opened as I hit my teen years and was only a few blocks from our house.   He had recently arrived from Italy as he married an American woman.  His one condition to come here was to open his own pizzeria.  I worked for him but never got paid and never missed it.  He even roasted his coffee beans in the Blodgett 1000's. He had to figure out the gas oven and adjust his Neapolitan background to work with it.  I learned a ton from him as well as my mother and her family that came from Italy. Food was an art to Alfredo and after a few years he tired of the American view of food, left his wife, and went back to Italy.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
Pizza Town? In the 70s?

To me, the slice here is probably reminiscent of what pizza was way back then. They bake hotter than, I think, any other NY pizzeria I've been to  ???

1970's  not 70%  :)
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »
Hahaha I missed that!  Hey Walter, we're not old..just fully proofed :-D

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
Maybe we can flip this around to try to answer Lou's original question of 'what is the hydration '. Meaning, if we know the weight of a doughball, then observing the thickness of the final product could give an indication of hydration? Or just too many other variables at play?

NY pizza is 50-58% hydration

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 05:17:46 PM »
NY pizza is 50-58% hydration

Hi Carmine, welcome aboard. I just saw your various posts. What's your pizza background? Homebaker, shop owner,  other??

Matt

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
Hahaha I missed that!  Hey Walter, we're not old..just fully proofed :-D

It is funny to see ones generational jargon be not the same for younger ones.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
Went again today on my way through jersey and the slices were incredible. I still couldn’t see what temp the ovens were at but the slices were thin, crisp, tender, just wow. Crisp all the way from outside edge to center but the slice folded without cracking. I wish I knew how they got the texture like that all the way through.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:08 PM »
Went again today on my way through jersey and the slices were incredible. I still couldn’t see what temp the ovens were at but the slices were thin, crisp, tender, just wow. Crisp all the way from outside edge to center but the slice folded without cracking. I wish I knew how they got the texture like that all the way through.

I'm guessing 560F.  Bring an IR gun and shoot the oven next time.
John

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »

Were they reheats?
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2019, 12:35:48 PM »
If they were, I didn't catch it. Was lunch service so pretty steady - counter guy pulled a pie out from under the counter and cut me off two slices and that was that.

Were they reheats?

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
Even as home reheats, they're even better than just baked. And Michelle told me they would be!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2019, 01:13:08 PM »
If you pop in any time soon, try to prod and see if they'll tell ya what temperature they have the ovens set at!

Looking through old threads, I've seen everything from 3.5 minutes to 4.5 minutes on the bake but I don't know...

Even as home reheats, they're even better than just baked. And Michelle told me they would be!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »
I was thinking about doing just that :)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »
Even more useful is to just time some bakes.   Thermostat calibrations can be all over the map. I have seen those ovens read 450 on the knob and put out 600 on the deck before, so if you ask the pizza maker what temp they cook at they will tell you 450.     

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
I might have to go in and order a half topping pizza just to see.... I've seen people order plain pies and they'll do a reheat on the full slice pie that hasn't been cut (which I actually think is a great idea but defeats the purpose here  :angel: ) I might also ask to purchase a doughball just to see how it feels...

Believe me, I know. I've seen or worked ovens where the knob is backwards, not on properly, etc etc. Time in the oven will give the best indicator for sure. When I had back up to NY I think I'll do that and report back... Might ask them not to cut it so I can reheat at home, too.

Ps - Grabbed some zeppole as well for the first time there. Oh man.... :drool:

Even more useful is to just time some bakes.   Thermostat calibrations can be all over the map. I have seen those ovens read 450 on the knob and put out 600 on the deck before, so if you ask the pizza maker what temp they cook at they will tell you 450.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:50:03 PM by hotsawce »

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
Last time I was there. I timed a bake at 6 minutes. Turned out that that pizza was to-go and ordered well done.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »

Not in my house, dammit! Physics major, former metrologist.  Just celebrated Metrology Day.   The kg  is now based on Planck's Constant.   Woohoo!
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:38 PM »
Just celebrated Metrology Day.

I hope it measured up.  ;D
-Tony
“Pizza is bread, after all.” - Brian Spangler

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
Pizza Town? In the 70s?

I've never been there but been told it is NJ pizza not NY.  What was the crust like?

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
Just went tonight!  Very nice..simple as can be. These were reheats, nicely crisp bottom and rim. Perfect balance of tomato and cheese