A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!  (Read 4432 times)

Offline DoouBall

Re: Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
In what way do they consider it being better?

We didnít have time to go into detail on that and I figured I would just try it sometime and see for myself.

What I can tell you is Le 5 Stagioni La Pizza Napoletana has W300. Caputo Pizzeria is W260/270 so itís not as strong. This means that in theory, Le5 Stagioni should hold up better for long fermentations. I have also read that Le5 Stagioni can easily take higher hydration such as 65% so it may be better for those of us cooking at slightly below Neapolitan temps. Caputo feels very wet at 65%. Finally, Le5 comes from the oldest flour mill in Italy, Agugiaro&Figna. Worth a try.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
Fair enough, yet my caputo does not seem to have any issues with 48H room temp and i have no problem with 60/65% hydration, if i start to encouter issues i will give it a try.

Currently i am at 63% hydration and it works perfectly for now.

Offline DoouBall

Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
Fair enough, yet my caputo does not seem to have any issues with 48H room temp and i have no problem with 60/65% hydration, if i start to encouter issues i will give it a try.

Currently i am at 63% hydration and it works perfectly for now.

Since Pizzeria works perfectly for you, I would just stick with it. There is really no need to switch flours unless the one you are using isnít working out for you. As long as you have a flour thatís affordable and a good fit for the style of pizza you are making, youíre golden!

Arrowhead might be a better fit for pizzaiolos in the US who donít have easy access to Caputo or perhaps prefer an organic flour.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:01:05 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
Is this flour stronger than Caputo Chef's flour?  I'm looking to give my Neapolitan pizza a bit more of a "bite" rather than being super soft, all while not altering cooking time nor heat of my PP Pizzone

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »
Is this flour stronger than Caputo Chef's flour?  I'm looking to give my Neapolitan pizza a bit more of a "bite" rather than being super soft, all while not altering cooking time nor heat of my PP Pizzone

I don't think so. I'd say it's likely a bit weaker, but not a lot.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »

Caputo Chef's Flour is 13%+ protein and should result in a nice chew if you are kneading it long enough. You don't need to switch flours to get more bite - you just need to knead longer and more aggressively to develop the gluten more. You can also either a)increase the length of bulk fermentation or b)add in a preferment like poolish, biga or old dough. All of those will help strengthen your dough and provide more bite.
Alex

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I typically do about 12h bullk and 6hr ball, all at room temp.  Iíll try mixing longer to see if that helps.

Offline BackyardPizzaiolo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »
Caputo Chef's Flour is 13%+ protein and should result in a nice chew if you are kneading it long enough. You don't need to switch flours to get more bite - you just need to knead longer and more aggressively to develop the gluten more. You can also either a)increase the length of bulk fermentation or b)add in a preferment like poolish, biga or old dough. All of those will help strengthen your dough and provide more bite.

Appreciate the insight but what do you mean by "more bite"? Do you mean that it's harder to break off with the teeth? Or that's it's more elastic?

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
Pliable so that it could be folded but yet has a chew when you bite it, not super soft.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:59:06 PM by ebpizza »

Offline DoouBall

Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
Appreciate the insight but what do you mean by "more bite"? Do you mean that it's harder to break off with the teeth? Or that's it's more elastic?

I mean that it is more chewy when you eat it as opposed to 100% tender.

In my experience, no knead/little knead recipes like Jim Laheyís or Robertaís make the most tender pizza, but sometimes I think itís too tender - I have heard that real NP pizza such as Da Michele tends to be surprisingly chewy. More kneading or a preferment usually equates to more chewy pizza for me - I shoot for a good middle ground between chewy and tender. The way I figure, weíre not making butter biscuits here, but I donít want to have to ice my jaw after eating pizza either.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:44:23 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
Speaking of biga, this showed up on my YouTube feed

You should follow him, lots of good videos

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
After working my way through a bag of Caputo blue, I think I can say I far prefer the Arrowhead Mills flour. The caputo red is a different story and has held up for longer room temp fermentations (for me,) but the Arrowhead Mills flour just handles differently. It reminds me of some central milling products in the way it absorbs water and handles.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
Which Central Milling products does it remind you of? I have enjoyed using their 00, 00 reinforced and High Mountain.
Alex

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
The ABC flour felt similar.

Which Central Milling products does it remind you of? I have enjoyed using their 00, 00 reinforced and High Mountain.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »
The ABC flour felt similar.

I like that one a lot for baking sourdough bread. Havenít tried it for pizza yet, but I heard Cheeseboard in Berkeley uses it.
Alex

Offline mmille24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
Gave this flour a go. I liked it, however I still prefer the Sperry Hygluten. I think the Sperry taste better and also browned better/more evenly for me.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:47 PM »
Where do you get Sperry?  When you used the arrowhead flour what were the recipe numbers, Thanks! 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 06:47:10 AM »
You need to find a restaurant distributor that carries Sperry. They don't sell it retail. The Arrowhead numbers were in the first post:
These are 48-hour RT SD. 62%HR, 2.8% salt.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »
Great, Thanks! Using same recipe/work flow, what would you say would be the difference using Caputo red bag and Arrowhead in relation to taste texture

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
Great, Thanks! Using same recipe/work flow, what would you say would be the difference using Caputo red bag and Arrowhead in relation to taste texture

They are a bit different, but I wouldn't say one is necessarily better.