A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
Re: Arrowhead Organic AP flour from Walmart - I really like it for NP!
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
When looking at my bag of flour from Arrowhead Mills I notice it doesn't say malt or enzymes does that mean this flour is unmalted
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
When looking at my bag of flour from Arrowhead Mills I notice it doesn't say malt or enzymes does that mean this flour is unmalted

Yes, that's the key reason why it works for NP.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline BostonJohn13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
I picked up a bag of Arrowhead Mills organic AP this weekend to compare with the Caputo red bag i've been using.

305g flour
189g water
6g salt
3.3g IDY

Hand mixed, 20min rest, and then a few knead/fold/rest iterations before balling and resting for 24hrs in the fridge.

While kneading I found the Arrowhead AP dough to be a bit denser and harder to knead.  The Caputo was much easier to get into nice smooth balls. Maybe due to protein differences?

While forming the pizzas both were extensible but I still found the Arrowhead dough to be a little less smooth.

Both baked around 850F floor temps and above 900F dome.  Both achieved similar coloring.

In terms of taste/texture the Caputo dough was airy and light with a small amount of chewiness. The Arrowhead AP was a little denser and chewy.  The Arrowhead dough had much nicer flavor.

I'm going to try a higher hydration with the Arrowhead next time and may also use the kitchenaid to knead in hopes of a smoother dough.

Picture1 is Caputo dough and Picture2 is Arrowhead Organic AP.

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
I picked up a bag of Arrowhead Mills organic AP this weekend to compare with the Caputo red bag i've been using.

305g flour
189g water
6g salt
3.3g IDY

Hand mixed, 20min rest, and then a few knead/fold/rest iterations before balling and resting for 24hrs in the fridge.

While kneading I found the Arrowhead AP dough to be a bit denser and harder to knead.  The Caputo was much easier to get into nice smooth balls. Maybe due to protein differences?

While forming the pizzas both were extensible but I still found the Arrowhead dough to be a little less smooth.

Both baked around 850F floor temps and above 900F dome.  Both achieved similar coloring.

In terms of taste/texture the Caputo dough was airy and light with a small amount of chewiness. The Arrowhead AP was a little denser and chewy.  The Arrowhead dough had much nicer flavor.

I'm going to try a higher hydration with the Arrowhead next time and may also use the kitchenaid to knead in hopes of a smoother dough.

Spot on with my results, little dense compared to my other dough's but I also was a little on the lower fermutation. I did notice the taste was great and the ability to handle higher temperatures was great.
Josh

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »
What you see as similar I see as wildly different. The Arrowhead has a much more even color, smaller spotting.

305g flour
189g water
6g salt
3.3g IDY

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Walmart is showing no stock on arrowhead flour. looked on line and in two local stores. they have a Walmart brand of organic A/P flour. the description is just wheat. i doesn't seem fortified and does not list malted barley.any one have experience with this product?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2020, 03:14:00 AM »
Tried the Walmart organic A/P tonight using my breville oven. I tried the dough at 65 percent water. Mixed nice but hard to ball and work with. 90 seconds. The pizzas were very light different chew then caputo red. I use red at 68 percent.

Offline BostonJohn13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2020, 02:14:56 AM »
I did another batch with the Arrowhead AP, this time I increased the hydration to 64%.  The dough was easier to work with and balled up with a smooth skin.  The pizzas were easier to shape this time aftee 24hrs in the fridge.  The final product still has a bit more chew than Caputo.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:39 AM »
I did another batch with the Arrowhead AP, this time I increased the hydration to 64%.  The dough was easier to work with and balled up with a smooth skin.  The pizzas were easier to shape this time aftee 24hrs in the fridge.  The final product still has a bit more chew than Caputo.
Those look nice- what kind of oven?

Offline BostonJohn13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
Those look nice- what kind of oven?
I'm using a Roccbox with gas and so far it's been great! Maybe soon i'll see how it does with wood.