A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best and worst frozen pizzas  (Read 2080 times)

Offline rlslmshdy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best and worst frozen pizzas
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 01:10:19 AM »
I pretty much love all pizza. I eat a lot of frozen pizza in a year. I have even been known to hammer a bag of Pizza Rolls after a good day of drinking. Totinos Party Pizzas, 10 for $10. They are awesome  :D
Me also i love pretty much all pizza. I love the Totinos party pizzas. I really like the ones with sausage.

Offline colebg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
really no home run inn? I think that's the only one I've had that was as good if not better than most takeout pizzas

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »
really no home run inn? I think that's the only one I've had that was as good if not better than most takeout pizzas

See Reply #4 in this thread.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 10:31:07 PM »
Out of curiosity, I tried a frozen pizza several years ago.  I don't imagine much separates the best from the worst. I do want to try Archer Farms and Roberta's, if I can find it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:35:04 PM by jkb »
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »
Get a pepperoni or meat-lover's frozen pizza, cut it in quarters, batter it, fry it, dust it with powdered sugar, and serve it with raspberry jelly like a Monte Cristo.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 07:48:28 AM »
Out of curiosity, I tried a frozen pizza several years ago.  I don't imagine much separates the best from the worst. I do want to try Archer Farms and Roberta's, if I can find it.

Bought a couple of Archer Farms rising crust pizzas.

I've choked down a lot of crappy frozen pizza over the years, and I've gotta say, good thing Target offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee, 'cuz two bites and the remainder of the first went straight to the trash and the second went straight back to the Target.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »
I don't mind frozen pizza at all. I don't like the bready ones all that much, but the thin ones are fine for what they are.

The problem comes from people expecting a frozen pizza to compete with a restaurant pizza or a homemade pizza. That's really not fair. Would you compare a cheap econobox car to a Maserati?  Would you compare a bespoke suit to something off the rack from Kohl's?

Things like frozen pizza, canned ravioli, KFC...they're their own thing. They occupy their own place on the food continuum.  Nobody will ever confuse them with handcrafted foods representing the top of the line in gourmet dining, and they shouldn't be treated as such.

I'll tell you this, though:  about once every three months, I get a hankering for a Big Mac, and only a Big Mac will do. On that day, you could serve me the finest burger, made with a hand-ground mix of cruelty-free grass-fed beef with homemade mayo and ketchup, the meltiest jack cheese from the most lovingly cared-for animals, with organic Old World lettuces, all sat atop a homemade artisanal bun, and I'd thank you profusely for your kindness and effort...and then get a Big Mac at my earliest opportunity.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »
Get a pepperoni or meat-lover's frozen pizza, cut it in quarters, batter it, fry it, dust it with powdered sugar, and serve it with raspberry jelly like a Monte Cristo.

I'd rather just eat a Monte Cristo.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
I don't mind frozen pizza at all. I don't like the bready ones all that much, but the thin ones are fine for what they are.

The problem comes from people expecting a frozen pizza to compete with a restaurant pizza or a homemade pizza. That's really not fair. Would you compare a cheap econobox car to a Maserati?  Would you compare a bespoke suit to something off the rack from Kohl's?

Things like frozen pizza, canned ravioli, KFC...they're their own thing. They occupy their own place on the food continuum.  Nobody will ever confuse them with handcrafted foods representing the top of the line in gourmet dining, and they shouldn't be treated as such.

I'll tell you this, though:  about once every three months, I get a hankering for a Big Mac, and only a Big Mac will do. On that day, you could serve me the finest burger, made with a hand-ground mix of cruelty-free grass-fed beef with homemade mayo and ketchup, the meltiest jack cheese from the most lovingly cared-for animals, with organic Old World lettuces, all sat atop a homemade artisanal bun, and I'd thank you profusely for your kindness and effort...and then get a Big Mac at my earliest opportunity.

I've never had a Big Mac.  I usually went for the Filet o Fish or McDLT and the occasional Royale with Cheese.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:38:09 PM by jkb »
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »

I've never had a Big Mac.  I usually went for the Filet o Fish or McDLT and the occasional Royale with Cheese.
I had one bite out of one once that I had a free coupon for. I knew I would not like it. I'm not much of a fan of condiments, veg, sauces. As I recall, you don’t care for condiments either. I usually order everything plain and put mustard from a packet on a cheeseburger or hot dog sometimes. I like that the packets are room temp (and clean) as cold condiments on warm sandwiches is one of the things I do not like.

That said, I appreciated CarryOn’s enthusiasm for the Big Mac, which is why I liked his post. I certainly have foods I feel that strongly about.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 01:06:39 AM »
I like a griddled burger with the McD's flavor profile, but I use good beef.   I remember McD's (haven't eaten there since the '90s) being really gristly.  Yeah, no condiments.  Ketchup is the best way to ruin a burger IMO.
 Sometimes mustard and dill chips, but usually American, lettuce and tomato or a slider.
John

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
For a few years there, Domino's Pizza was what I would order when I was in a lazy, frozen-pizza kind of mood. I could order with their app on my iPhone and the pizza would show up faster than it would have taken for me to warm up my oven and cook a frozen pizza. And the quality was actually pretty good. The last couple of times I ordered from Dominos, the pizza wasn't very good and it took a long time to arrive. And they seemed to be fudging on their delivery times. The app showed my pizza as having been delivered, but it didn't actually arrive for another 30 min. As if they sent their driver out with too many pizzas, but still wanted it recorded as being delivered on time.

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 01:49:42 AM »
I like a griddled burger with the McD's flavor profile, but I use good beef.   I remember McD's (haven't eaten there since the '90s) being really gristly.  Yeah, no condiments.  Ketchup is the best way to ruin a burger IMO.
 Sometimes mustard and dill chips, but usually American, lettuce and tomato or a slider.

Wow!  I never experienced "gristly" meat on a McDonalds hamburger.   Their meat goes through SO much processing, even though it is 100% beef, that I wonder WHAT you experienced?!?

There is a McD's within walking distance from my house, but I never go there because it is run so poorly and is too frustrating to see how they handle MY food.

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 01:53:17 AM »
For a few years there, Domino's Pizza was what I would order when I was in a lazy, frozen-pizza kind of mood. I could order with their app on my iPhone and the pizza would show up faster than it would have taken for me to warm up my oven and cook a frozen pizza. And the quality was actually pretty good. The last couple of times I ordered from Dominos, the pizza wasn't very good and it took a long time to arrive. And they seemed to be fudging on their delivery times. The app showed my pizza as having been delivered, but it didn't actually arrive for another 30 min. As if they sent their driver out with too many pizzas, but still wanted it recorded as being delivered on time.

Dominos lost my business some years ago.   They may be "good" now, but they went through a period where they really sucked.

In their early days, Dominos was actually pretty good...  I guess the accountants  got involved and screwed up the whole concept.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 07:25:16 AM »
One thing I like about McD's is their self-serve ordering kiosk. I can place my own order and pay for it with my phone or a card, grab a number and sit down, and I almost always get my food before someone who ordered at the same time at the counter.

Dominos...I've had two in the last two years. One was horrible, one was pretty good, not from the same location. I'm probably the only person who preferred their pre-makeover pizzas to their new and improved ones.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Although I live near Domino's HQ, I've never had one. Maybe it's time to try one...
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
Although I live near Domino's HQ, I've never had one. Maybe it's time to try one...
This is not something you should enter into without a backup plan, imho.  ;D  They’re ok. It will compare favorably to frozen. I like the Brooklyn. It’s a grease bomb I can eat a couple times a year. Domino’s is as close to pizza made by robots as we are going to get while still using real human beings.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
This is not something you should enter into without a backup plan, imho.  ;D  They’re ok. It will compare favorably to frozen. I like the Brooklyn. It’s a grease bomb I can eat a couple times a year. Domino’s is as close to pizza made by robots as we are going to get while still using real human beings.

:-D
Hans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »

Wow!  I never experienced "gristly" meat on a McDonalds hamburger.   Their meat goes through SO much processing, even though it is 100% beef, that I wonder WHAT you experienced?!?

There is a McD's within walking distance from my house, but I never go there because it is run so poorly and is too frustrating to see how they handle MY food.

To be fair, I haven't had a McD's burger since the mid '80s.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:23:18 PM by jkb »
John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
Roma brand frozen pizza is legit. Just add extra mozzarella and some dried oregano and you're all set. No disappointments here....  :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"