A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: da Michele franchise  (Read 2454 times)

Offline ebpizza

da Michele franchise
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
Never been to any of the non Naples locations, but these franchise versions of da Michele don't look appealing. Members on this forum make better looking pizza.

https://la.eater.com/2019/3/27/18282617/antica-da-michele-pizzeria-neapolitan-hollywood-restaurant-opening

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: da Michele franchise
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
Are they franchised or company stores? I have only been to the London and Barcelona shops. London was okay, Barcelona was excellent. Id give the LA location a shot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:44:06 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:33 PM »
Are they franchised or company stores? I have only been to the London and Barcelona shops. London was okay, Barcelona was excellent. Id give the LA location a shot.

Florence was excellent and Rome was very close behind IMO.  If LA is as good as Florence, the center of the US pizza universe will shift to the West coast.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
LA isnt listed yet, but I would assume franchise like the others...
http://www.damichele.net/dove-siamo/

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Yes Jonas, please try it for us!  Tell us if it's comparable to the real deal.

Last time I was in Los Angeles I tried pizzeria Mozza at your recommendation and was definitely not disappointed.

I will get out to Europe eventually but probably not for a couple of years, but I can get to California in a snap  ;D.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
Some close up shots of the pizza in LA

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
I've got it make it up to LA now.

Offline communist

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
I agree with Jonas.  I was at the Florence da Michele and it was fantastic. Rome was close behind.  Wow, they really use a lot of bench flour.  And the rim is not that puffy.  Very thin.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »
I have reservations for lunch on June 8th.  I'll give everyone the scoop afterwards.

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:28 PM »
Jsaras, have you also been to the original in Naples?  If so, I'm really looking forward to your comparison of LA. 
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline jsaras

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »
Jsaras, have you also been to the original in Naples?  If so, I'm really looking forward to your comparison of LA.   

I have not, though I can't imagine it could be any better than what I had in Florence.  But I could be wrong!

Offline weissblut

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »
It's been like forever since I've visited this forum... glad to see it's still rocking.

I've been to Da Michele in Napoli hundreds of times (I'm from there originally). I've also been to the one in London, Tokyo, and Roma.

Tbh the original location is still the best. I was talking to the pizzaioli there and they say it's mostly the softness of the water and the amazing vintage Gianni Acunto oven.

London was close. Tokyo wasn't the best (it was too crispy with very little leoparding which was disappointing).

I'm going to visit my mom and sister in Napoli at the end of July. Will report back after my usual tour - my sister said there's some new great pizzerias that might dethrone Michele... we'll see!

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
My oldest daughter graduated high school a couple weeks ago and to celebrate we took a trip to Los Angeles to visit Universal Studios which is her favorite theme park as she is a huge Harry Potter fan. While in town I could not pass up the opportunity to try Da Michele.  When you look them up online it will give you the option to make a reservation via opentable.com  I suggest that you call the restaurant directly because opentable showed that they were completely booked, except that they were not. There was no wait at all and we were immediately seated.

The pizza was great, I ordered a Margherita with double cheese since I was sharing it with my wife.  I also had the scallops with shaved black truffles, also amazing.  The wine list is all Italian, we ordered a bottle of sangiovese to accompany our dinner.
I was able to meet Francesco Zimone the owner, and Michele Rubini the pizzaiolo.  Both very friendly, very hospitable gentlemen.  Michele even took me inside their pizza preparation area, showed me their Stefano Ferrara oven, and talked pizza for a few minutes.

I finally got a chance to resize some not very good pictures, I am not great at taking pics lol.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:46:30 PM by Rick_F »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »
The pizza looks excellent, though maybe not baked quite as hot as the pizza at some of the other franchises?

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
This is the only Da Michele that I have been to.  I am patiently awaiting the review by Jonas who has been to multiple locations and I believe he will be eating there today per his previous post.  :)

Offline jsaras

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 06:41:40 PM »
Here's my brief rundown for the pizza geeks here.  The pizzas here were within a standard operating deviation of what I had at the Florence location, which is to say excellent.  Interestingly, the double cheese margherita pizza here had about 3 times the amount of cheese that we had in Florence and Rome and it was more melted.  That may be a concession to the American/Hollywood crowd.  Next time, I'll order a regular margherita to see how it compares.  The Cosacca was excellent and the same that my wife and I experience in Florence.  My wife, 7 year-old daughter and I all agreed that it was our favorite of the three pizzas we ordered.  The pecorino they use far surpasses anything I've been able to find locally. The bake times were 40-45 seconds.  They use Solea tomatoes, Fior d'Agerola mozzarella and 320-330 gram dough balls stretched to about 15 inches.   

Offline jsaras

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
more pics

Offline jsaras

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
last set of pics.  The higher quality pics can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE8hmnb

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »
Awesome!

I'm headed up to check it out on the 22nd.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
Any details on how they were fermenting the dough? I assume all room temperature. But LA is hot in the summer.

The mozzarella from Agerola surpasses anything we produce here...it's not as good as bufala but if we're talking cows milk mozzarella it's next level. I wonder who's distributing this stuff for them? I estimated 300g at around 14" - even if not 15", still much thinner than most neapolitan spots.

I'm very jealous I wish I could try it out!

wordpress