A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Oklahoma onion burgers  (Read 5678 times)

Offline jsaras

Oklahoma onion burgers
« on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »
I got a Camp Chef flat top griddle last week.  These are inspired by Sidís Diner in El Reno, OK. 

2-ounce 80/20 beef chuck balls with a pile of razor-thin onions on top which were immediately smashed with a bacon press.  They were flipped after about 1.5 minutes and American cheese was added.  They were cooked for about another 1.5 minutes to melt the cheese. Served on a potato bun with pickle chips.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:28:02 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oklahoma onion burgers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »
You'll love your flattop, particularly for hashbrowns!!!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
You'll love your flattop, particularly for hashbrowns!!!

Iím making up for not having any fast food jobs in my youth

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
I need that burger.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Deb

Online Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »
Yup!! Nice work!

Burgers and breakfast are the reason I bought my 36 Blacstone. I can't believe the burgers are better off the flattop vs grill/smoker,but they are.

Online Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 09:12:14 PM »
I'm also a fan of fried rice and hibachi veggies on there.
And grilled sandwiches/cheese steaks.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
Well, if you donít hear much from me for a while, you know what happened

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
That right there is one fine hamburger sandwich! Perfectly adorned with no need for superfluous condiments!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
That right there is one fine hamburger sandwich! Perfectly adorned with no need for superfluous condiments!

^^^

That's a straight up slider!
John

Offline flagriller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »
Camp Chef was an excellent choice!

Offline jsaras

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »
Made some on English muffins. 

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
Made some on English muffins.

sloppy good

I'm imagining a good dose of butter on the muffins under the burgers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:22:15 PM by jkb »
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Oklahoma onion burgers
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
Anyone have tips on how to get softer homemade burger buns? I read that some cover the buns with a towel when they come out of the oven so the steam softens them, I might try that. I'm happy with the flavor, but looking for a more delicate texture for diner style burgers.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
Anyone have tips on how to get softer homemade burger buns? I read that some cover the buns with a towel when they come out of the oven so the steam softens them, I might try that. I'm happy with the flavor, but looking for a more delicate texture for diner style burgers.
First, they look delicious. I make some non-hamburger-bun rolls that get brushed with melted butter once before rising in the pan and again as soon as they come out of the oven. It makes for a softer top crust. Now always what I want but itís the way I like these. If the towel trick helps please post.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 02:17:59 PM »

75% hydration.  Bake at 425F.  Lots of yeast.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:20:33 PM by jkb »
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
I got a Camp Chef flat top griddle last week.  These are inspired by Sidís Diner in El Reno, OK. 

2-ounce 80/20 beef chuck balls with a pile of razor-thin onions on top which were immediately smashed with a bacon press.  They were flipped after about 1.5 minutes and American cheese was added.  They were cooked for about another 1.5 minutes to melt the cheese. Served on a potato bun with pickle chips.

Whoa!  How did I miss this one?

EDIT:  I didn't.

Whoa!  How did I forget this one?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:28:54 PM by jkb »
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
First, they look delicious. I make some non-hamburger-bun rolls that get brushed with melted butter once before rising in the pan and again as soon as they come out of the oven. It makes for a softer top crust. Now always what I want but itís the way I like these. If the towel trick helps please post.

Thanks Tony! These are from the King Arthur burger bun recipe off their website.  :chef:
I did brush with melted butter right out of the oven, but they still felt a bit like a sandwich roll. Perfect for a big grilled burger, but slider-soft buns are my favorite for these thin patties.

I admit I forgot I had these proofing on the counter for a while yesterday so they probably over proofed a bit. Could that have affected the tenderness of the bun?

75% hydration.  Bake at 425F.  Lots of yeast.

Do you shape the dough while cold at that hydration? I baked for 15 min at 375, is that about 10 minutes at 425F?

Offline jsaras

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »

I'd love to get Martin's potato rolls, but they're prohibitively expensive to get them shipped to CA.  They're great because they're squishy, they don't get soggy and they're not too large.  Buns are an issue.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
I'd love to get Martin's potato rolls, but they're prohibitively expensive to get them shipped to CA.  They're great because they're squishy, they don't get soggy and they're not too large.  Buns are an issue.

Potato rolls are delicious, I added 10% mashed potato to those King Arthur buns. They were pretty soft when warmed, they just don't have that soft texture when cold like commercial buns. I was thinking a more intensive mix might work well for homemade buns but I usually knead by hand so not sure how to go about it.

I can't remember if it was Orowheat or Signature Select (Albertsons/Vons) potato buns that had that soggy issue I tried them recently. Tasty but fell apart.

I'm really wanting to get one of their smaller flat tops for cooking outdoors, seems so perfect for diner burgers, breakfast, and SoCal style Mexican food  :drool: