A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Oklahoma onion burgers  (Read 5669 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oklahoma onion burgers
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
This recipe converts quite nicely into burger buns!!! Definitely worth putting on your list!

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/buttermilkcluster
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jsaras

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
Potato rolls are delicious, I added 10% mashed potato to those King Arthur buns. They were pretty soft when warmed, they just don't have that soft texture when cold like commercial buns. I was thinking a more intensive mix might work well for homemade buns but I usually knead by hand so not sure how to go about it.

I can't remember if it was Orowheat or Signature Select (Albertsons/Vons) potato buns that had that soggy issue I tried them recently. Tasty but fell apart.

I'm really wanting to get one of their smaller flat tops for cooking outdoors, seems so perfect for diner burgers, breakfast, and SoCal style Mexican food  :drool:

I tried the Orowheat potato buns and they got extremely soggy
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Oklahoma onion patty melt sliders on toasted potato bread.  I still haven’t found the bread element of my dreams.  I wish Martin potato rolls were available on the West coast.

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »
Toasted pretzel buns are pretty tough to beat for those burgers in my opinion. They hold up to the sloppiness well, and taste great.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »
No pics, but made more burgers tonite on my new 2 burner BS with onions and havarti cheese. Mine was open face on toasted english muffin bread. I loved the 1 burner model, the 2 burner AWESOME!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Oklahoma onion patty melt sliders on toasted potato bread.  I still haven’t found the bread element of my dreams.  I wish Martin potato rolls were available on the West coast.

Those look really good Jonas!

Martin makes the best, they are not available in MI either. I think I'll try the King's Hawaiian for my next sliders. Have you ever tried them?
Hans

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »

Martin makes the best, they are not available in MI either. I think I'll try the King's Hawaiian for my next sliders. Have you ever tried them?
+1 for King’s. Long live the king.
-Tony

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
I've been trying to come up with a good homemade bun but I'm not sure how to approach the softness of a commercial bun without all the dough conditioners. Commercial stuff is pretty low fat, - so just using typical tenderizers in higher amounts seems to make something pretty different and heavy.

I made buns with Bertinet's sweet dough from Craig's great thread "hamburger buns and old school burgers"
i thought the texture was really nice, but they just ate a little heavy to me for a small diner style patty or double. Maybe the buns were just too big, I've been weighing some commercial buns and the dough weight is really low for many, a lot are around 50-60g; I think they need to be rolled thin with a pin to get that circumference out of such a small amount of dough. I've been using my hand to press them down but they usually turn out too thick, more like a sandwich roll than a burger bun.

I think for my next batch I'll try potato flour + tangzhong roux and a little oil and sugar and see what I get. I like the flavor of butter, but solid fats seem to make a more cake-y roll versus commercial oil based buns. Thinking it may be better to use oil in the dough and brush it with butter right out of the oven; that seems to add a more pronounced butter flavor to me.

Interesting that according to the label, Martin's have more yeast than sugar. That's different than say, Ball Park buns. Also noticing that signature "burger bun" color is probably from added ingredients; I was wondering why even at 10% butter I couldn't achieve that look, seems like turmeric is a common additive.

Great looking melts Jonas!  :drool:

the proof is in the pizza

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »
For OTC Pepperidge Farm makes a pretty good slider bun!
Jon

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 11:32:39 PM »
I think for my next batch I'll try potato flour + tangzhong roux and a little oil and sugar and see what I get. I like the flavor of butter, but solid fats seem to make a more cake-y roll versus commercial oil based buns. Thinking it may be better to use oil in the dough and brush it with butter right out of the oven; that seems to add a more pronounced butter flavor to me.
I wonder what something like refined coconut oil or shortening would do?  I'm not interested in making these breads so I won't be trying, just curious to hear what might happen with these oils.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
For OTC Pepperidge Farm makes a pretty good slider bun!

According to their website, there’s no retailer within 100 miles that stocks them.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »

I’ve not tried them at home for this application.  There’s a local hot dog and burger chain that uses those rolls exclusively.  They’re OK, but I’m not sweet-tooth person at all. 

Offline C6Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
Great looking burgers !!!! I love my Martins potato rolls too.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »
According to their website, there’s no retailer within 100 miles that stocks them.

Last time I bought them was at Wellmart!
Jon

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:39 AM »
BJ's Wholesale Club sells them in Orlando, FL. Maybe the other locations do as well?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »

https://www.marthastewart.com/312832/dinner-rolls

Trust me.
John

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »
We get them at Kroger (along with coney-style split -top hot dog buns), so maybe your regional version of Kroger has them (Fred's?).

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
We get them at Kroger (along with coney-style split -top hot dog buns), so maybe your regional version of Kroger has them (Fred's?).

I can't get them here in San Diego either. They're just not available.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »
I guess silder buns are too small!

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 12:30:53 AM »
I guess silder buns are too small!

Better than too much bun!
Jon

wordpress