A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Oklahoma onion burgers  (Read 5679 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oklahoma onion burgers
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
I guess silder buns are too small!
Like 10 lbs of sugar in a 5 lb sack.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
Better than too much bun!

There is no such thing as too much bun. Only too small burgers!

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
There is no such thing as too much bun. Only too small burgers!

Ahhhh, the OLD 1/2 full 1/2 empty trick.......!

http://www.dgrz.com/gerard/GS.htm (for those that miss the reference)😊
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jsaras

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »
Triple (56g patties).  Someday, I’ll make a burger that’s easy to eat!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 11:43:28 PM »
We also had flattop burgers tonite!!! :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 11:53:40 PM »
Oklahoma onion patty melt sliders on toasted potato bread.  I still haven’t found the bread element of my dreams.  I wish Martin potato rolls were available on the West coast.

Jonas... I'd be happy to send you all the Martin's rolls you'd like, whenever ya want... At cost only, of course. 🍻  Easy peazzy dude.
PS, I know the way when it comes to shipping economically... ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:56:16 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:27 AM »
I've been trying to come up with a good homemade bun but I'm not sure how to approach the softness of a commercial bun without all the dough conditioners. Commercial stuff is pretty low fat, - so just using typical tenderizers in higher amounts seems to make something pretty different and heavy.

I made buns with Bertinet's sweet dough from Craig's great thread "hamburger buns and old school burgers"
i thought the texture was really nice, but they just ate a little heavy to me for a small diner style patty or double. Maybe the buns were just too big, I've been weighing some commercial buns and the dough weight is really low for many, a lot are around 50-60g; I think they need to be rolled thin with a pin to get that circumference out of such a small amount of dough. I've been using my hand to press them down but they usually turn out too thick, more like a sandwich roll than a burger bun.

I think for my next batch I'll try potato flour + tangzhong roux and a little oil and sugar and see what I get. I like the flavor of butter, but solid fats seem to make a more cake-y roll versus commercial oil based buns. Thinking it may be better to use oil in the dough and brush it with butter right out of the oven; that seems to add a more pronounced butter flavor to me.

Interesting that according to the label, Martin's have more yeast than sugar. That's different than say, Ball Park buns. Also noticing that signature "burger bun" color is probably from added ingredients; I was wondering why even at 10% butter I couldn't achieve that look, seems like turmeric is a common additive.

Great looking melts Jonas!  :drool:

You've sort of answered your own question here but yes increasing oil is the key here and not hydration.  You can use either BF or HG.  I would go with about a 62-64% effective hydration for BF and 66-68% for HG flour.  This will be your final hydration including your oil.  You'll want to experiment with using 4-8% oil depending on how soft you want your roll.  Oil, butter, buttered flavor oil, shortening, and coconut oil will all give you similar results.  Pick one and just work with that till you get closer to what you're looking for before trying a different type of fat.  Sugar isn't necessary unless you want a sweet bun.  If so use anywhere between 5-20%, depending on how sweet you like it.  Just keep in mind the sugar will also add crust coloration to your end product, depending on how much you use.  You may also enjoy using a brioche recipe for making buns, but the dough may be harder to work with bc it tends to be higher in hydration and butter.  Yeast won't  effect the softness of the crumb, just rate of fermentation.  If you have LDMP, you can experiment with that as well.  Low Diastatic Malt Powder will also add a measurable level of softness and crust coloration.  You'll have to experiment with the percentages on that one.  I'd recommend anywhere from 0.25-1%. If using LDMP, you'll want to decrease your fat (oil) % and your sugar as well, otherwise the bun may get too soft and too dark.  Yeast will have to be adjusted down as well as LDMP will boost yeast activity and thus shorten fermentation time.  If you dont have ldmp, I'd just skip that for now and learn how to make good buns without it to start with.  Good luck. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:58:29 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
I also didn't mention the use of milk or milk powder.  That also softens the crumb and darkens the crust color.  I would use small amounts of it if you are interested in experimenting with it.  2-4% maybe.  Too much of it and the crumb will be too soft and cakey.  Of course if you add milk, you'll need to adjust down the other crumb softening and crust darkening ingredients like oil, ldmp, egg in some cases, and sugar. Btw, rolling the dough thinner or using less dough per bun won't necessarily make them lighter.  What makes a bun light has more to do getting 3 things right, hydration, gluten strength, and degree of proof or final fermentation.  Some of my lightest buns and rolls are also the most voluminous ones.  They are full of air.  These are some recent brioche buns I made.  They were super soft and light despite looking big and heavy. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:22:38 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jsaras

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2019, 10:27:21 PM »
I used Van De Kamps potato rolls this time, which are better than what I've used previously, but it may be time to move on to patty melts.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »
I used Van De Kamps potato rolls this time, which are better than what I've used previously, but it may be time to move on to patty melts.

That's a mighty fine burger Jonas.... But yes, I know what you mean... Sometimes it takes a lil switching up, and your onion burger there would also be delish snuggled between couple of butter sauteed slices-O- rye.  :drool:

Reminds me of (trying 😆) to hustle pool at the bowling alley back in the 70's.... boy did that snack bar there make an unforgettable "Patty Melt" !  👴

Still remember the grill girls and their lil cute bowling alley uniforms too.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:07:11 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline csacks

• It takes some big onions.
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »
Locals have said that the key to a great tasting burger is to clean the grill without cleaning the grill.  Something between dirty and clean. The burgers look great.  More onions than I would have guessed.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2019, 09:13:37 AM »

Nice !

I have been doing patty melts lately.  So good
Deb

Offline jsaras

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »
      That's a mighty fine burger Jonas.... But yes, I know what you mean... Sometimes it takes a lil switching up, and your onion burger there would also be delish snuggled between couple of butter sauteed slices-O- rye.  :drool:

Reminds me of (trying 😆) to hustle pool at the bowling alley back in the 70's.... boy did that snack bar there make an unforgettable "Patty Melt" !  👴

Still remember the grill girls and their lil cute bowling alley uniforms too.   ;D

Those were the days when men were men and women were women. Vive la difference!

Offline jsaras

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2019, 09:33:43 PM »
I switched it up with patty melts on sourdough.  This is the best bread option I’ve found thusfar.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »

Niiice. 😎.   Switched her over to red onions too, eh?  Tasty, supreme burger right there. 🤗

PS, might wanna give grilled rye a go... tis a wonderous flavoh.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:05:35 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline jsaras

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
I LOVE rye, but the rest of my gang doesn’t.  Whaddaya gonna do?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »

Make 'em suffah.  🤕

Ha ha... I'm sure you can afford stocking coupla bread's for those killah onion burger of yours.  🤡

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
I LOVE rye, but the rest of my gang doesn’t.  Whaddaya gonna do?

Rye FTW.  My mother had a bakery when I was a kid.  I had all the cookies and pastries I could eat, but I went for the sourdough rye and the hardrolls.  We kept an ancient starter in a little oak barrel in the corner. I was 13, making donuts at 3am, running FOH all day, and cashing out at 8:00pm.   The bakery business sucks.
John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
You didn't make $$. ?   $.  Quit yet cry'in an dry your tears.  🎥. 🎑🌓🤪

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »
You didn't make $$. ?   $.  Quit yet cry'in an dry your tears.  🎥. 🎑🌓🤪

$1/hr.  Worked all summer to buy a Yamaha F335.  Still have it 40 years later.  There's some divots in the rosewood.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:41:54 PM by jkb »
John