A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: We are finally rid of Postmates  (Read 4497 times)

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
Re: We are finally rid of Postmates
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
That would ironic as the idea was likely hatched there   :-D

Pay corrections happen all the time here though and its just a matter of time before someone sues. When I was working for HP 15 years ago I randomly got an extra $32k in my check one week because a court had ruled the way they had been calculating overtime for the previous twelve had violated the spirit of the law and they had to go back and correct it.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »
Pay corrections happen all the time here though and its just a matter of time before someone sues. When I was working for HP 15 years ago I randomly got an extra $32k in my check one week because a court had ruled the way they had been calculating overtime for the previous twelve had violated the spirit of the law and they had to go back and correct it.

$32k!!!??!!!  Did you buy a car with the money?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »

Not after the IRS took their cut  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »

Actually, yes.  :-D

It was a used Honda Fit and I still drive it today. Also bought some furniture and some speakers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:36:17 PM by dmckean44 »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
Not after the IRS took their cut  :-D

I would have asked for it in stock or small annual installments.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Now add this to the equation:

Study says 28 percent of delivery drivers have eaten some of your food

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/study-says-28-percent-of-delivery-drivers-have-eaten-some-of-your-food

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Now add this to the equation:

Study says 28 percent of delivery drivers have eaten some of your food

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/study-says-28-percent-of-delivery-drivers-have-eaten-some-of-your-food

We had a customer tell us a postmate delivery driver was ahead of them in line at a restaurant and when they got their order to go saw them eating out of the bag in their car.   Greed and our unhealthy fast paced lifestyle is what is driving all this.  The days of taking time to sit down and eat and enjoy conversation without devices is one of the driving forces to do what we do.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:34:50 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 01:04:07 AM »
When we go out to eat, I don't want the damn things to even come out of pocket or purses unless it's an emergency or a quick foodie pic! Enjoy the moment with friends and family, it goes by tooooo fast!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
I saw a billboard today paid for, presumably, by Panera. It was advertising “delivery by DoorDash” here in our area. So I went to the DoorDash web site to see what else they deliver in our area - I didn’t even know they were operating here. Their web site offered to list other area restaurants but couldn’t come up with any. I think it may have been a problem with Flash and my iPad but I am not interested in installing the app to find out.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
When we go out to eat, I don't want the damn things to even come out of pocket or purses unless it's an emergency or a quick foodie pic! Enjoy the moment with friends and family, it goes by tooooo fast!!!

My gallery is 98% food.  I won't snap a pick in a restaurant.  I was tempted the other day.  Burrata with roasted tomatoes and asparagus, olive oil and balsamic and grilled sourdough.  The bread must have been done in the steak broiler.   It tasted like a flame-broiled burger.
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »
Here is another article, from Atlantic, about the delivery business:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/all-food-will-be-delivered/595222/

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
That is a good article. Venture Capitalists are certainly not risking billions without high expectations. Restaurants (especially multi-unit ones) have an opportunity and a need; cash flush young customers with more money than spare time have a perceived need...and an opportunity.

“But another turn is coming: In 2020, more than half of restaurant spending is projected to be “off premise”—not inside a restaurant. In other words, spending on deliveries, drive-throughs, and takeaway meals will soon overtake dining inside restaurants, for the first time on record. According to the investment group Cowen and Company, off-premise spending will account for as much as 80 percent of the industry’s growth in the next five years.”

However, nothing compels restaurnnteers such as Walter to cooperate or participate. On the other hand - without being certain of how these transactions are structured, how the money flows and from which party to each of the next parties - I suspect that in a court case the judge might tell whoever paid for the food they can do as they please with it, whether than be eat it or sell and deliver it to someone else. Again, nothing says everyone has to like or facilitate it.

The last sentence in the part I quoted above rang true for me. When I had a retail music store, we had X number of square feet and Y number of titles available to buy. When I began promoting live concerts (I did 54 in 8 years), I viewed it as 1) something I was especially interested in doing and 2) a way to do more volume in sales without adding any square feet to my building or people to my payroll. The day after each show things were back to normal until the next show - except that the concerts did drive more customers to the store: once to get tickets that were not available anywhere else and again to buy CDs of the bands they had just seen.

If you are self-employed you can operate more or less exactly as you want and as long as it endears more people than it alienates you’ll be fine and have self-respect.

-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
I was in Chicago a good part of the day today. Map software advised a different route due to traffic. I saw an Uber Food Delivery vehicle double parked that was riddled with bullet holes. Car was a beater to begin with and really looked bad with all passenger side panels and one window shot up. I wanted to get a photo but thought better of it.
-Tony

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2019, 01:44:36 PM »
Last night someone told me a postmates delivery driver got in an argument with a restaurant employee while picking up a delivery, stabbed him, and then delivered the food.  Another of my fears comes true...…..  Walter
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:20:00 PM by waltertore »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
I'm happy I don't have to think about criminals.  House unlocked, keys in the ignition.
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »
I'm happy I don't have to think about criminals.  House unlocked, keys in the ignition.
That is an awesome position to be in. Please don’t take this as a personal attack. I’m interested and not necessarily opposed to how you feel (above) squares with this:

I'm within arm's reach of a gun right now.
-Tony

Offline balakap

• Beer+Pizza
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Kinda late to the party, but we have had the same problems with Postmates/Doordash. They park like total a-holes in the middle of the parking lot, then they walk in and shove their phone in the servers face and say "order this!" They are unbelievably rude.  I have now written emails to both companies. Postmates has taken our menu off their site, hopefully Doordash does as well. The servers have been instructed to tell them "we do not sell to your company. bye." Luckily they don't call here, they just show up, so its easy to turn them away. It's crazy to me how they can try to force me to deliver food. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
Kinda late to the party, but we have had the same problems with Postmates/Doordash. They park like total a-holes in the middle of the parking lot, then they walk in and shove their phone in the servers face and say "order this!" They are unbelievably rude.  I have now written emails to both companies. Postmates has taken our menu off their site, hopefully Doordash does as well. The servers have been instructed to tell them "we do not sell to your company. bye." Luckily they don't call here, they just show up, so its easy to turn them away. It's crazy to me how they can try to force me to deliver food. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

All I can say is stay on it.  Keep calling, sending emails, contact you local news (tv, paper).  I did that and got a story in the paper.  That got us off the postmate site.  Postmate was the hardest to get removed. We haven't had any of the delivery services in since.  Walter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 12:05:49 AM »
Walter, this is something that may interest you, and for that matter anyone! Something to be aware of for sure!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/26/tech/doordash-data-breach-millions/index.html
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
Walter,

It looks like Domino's is giving the delivery outfits like GrubHub, Postmates, UberEats, Doordash and the like a run for their money:

https://howardlindzon.com/dominos-the-true-netflix-and-chill-winner/

Peter

wordpress