A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: We are finally rid of Postmates  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: We are finally rid of Postmates
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »
“To take home”...

Dude, if you offer take out you do lose control over your product.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »
 this third party delivery service has created a business model called ghost kitchens that  have cooking facilitates in obscure areas and all they do is deliver using these third party services. The services may take 25 percent but labor and rent are much lower then other business models.
 The threat to pizzerias is door dash makes it possible for customers to order many  different food options.
 Example is Dominos growth has slowed dramatically and they site third party delivery services as the main reason.
 Friday I saw door dash delivering all day in our community. Pizza hut dominoes and my pizzeria all have our own delivery service. That means people are using them for a lot of non pizza foods. This will hurt sales because up till now pizza was  by far the biggest delivered food category.
 Delivery is only 8 percent of my business but when I look for growth it is the easiest area to grow. We dumped slice and seamless and only use a service called hunger rush which is built into our POS. It goes from our web site to them then prints into our system. All accounting is internal.
 We get 6 or so orders a day from door dash. The customer pays the cost of the food to door dash it is picked up and delivered by DD.since we are a small community it is one local person and he is very careful. Probably more so then my drivers at times. We pay nothing to door dash the delivery fee is paid by the customer and goes to the driver. We were going to do as Walter did and asked them to pull us off but am having second thoughts.
 Another note don't let this one pizza maker for the sake of quality model be taken to seriously. I have seen Antony of UPN send pizzas out using Uber eats in both San Francisco and New York during my visits.in his instance a delivery of 4 pizzas is over 100.00.
 Walter you are in a great position in that you do what you do to help the challenged and at the same time make a nice living. It works for you  and Judy. No need to change. Unfortunately this third party delivery will impact the industry.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
this third party delivery service has created a business model called ghost kitchens that  have cooking facilitates in obscure areas and all they do is deliver using these third party services. The services may take 25 percent but labor and rent are much lower then other business models.
 The threat to pizzerias is door dash makes it possible for customers to order many  different food options.
 Example is Dominos growth has slowed dramatically and they site third party delivery services as the main reason.
 Friday I saw door dash delivering all day in our community. Pizza hut dominoes and my pizzeria all have our own delivery service. That means people are using them for a lot of non pizza foods. This will hurt sales because up till now pizza was  by far the biggest delivered food category.
 Delivery is only 8 percent of my business but when I look for growth it is the easiest area to grow. We dumped slice and seamless and only use a service called hunger rush which is built into our POS. It goes from our web site to them then prints into our system. All accounting is internal.
 We get 6 or so orders a day from door dash. The customer pays the cost of the food to door dash it is picked up and delivered by DD.since we are a small community it is one local person and he is very careful. Probably more so then my drivers at times. We pay nothing to door dash the delivery fee is paid by the customer and goes to the driver. We were going to do as Walter did and asked them to pull us off but am having second thoughts.
 Another note don't let this one pizza maker for the sake of quality model be taken to seriously. I have seen Antony of UPN send pizzas out using Uber eats in both San Francisco and New York during my visits.in his instance a delivery of 4 pizzas is over 100.00.
 Walter you are in a great position in that you do what you do to help the challenged and at the same time make a nice living. It works for you  and Judy. No need to change. Unfortunately this third party delivery will impact the industry.

Larry:  Thanks for all that insight into this new phenomenon.  Door Dash comes in with their own delivery bags if I remember right?  That made them(and Uber Eats) easy to spot and both removed us from their sites after a lot of hoop jumping on our part.  Postmates doesn't use a delivery bag and they now disguise their ID on the phone caller ID.  That is why we had to ask callers and customers walking in if we didn't recognize them if they were with a delivery service.  The biggest perk for us about owning your own business is having control over the entire process.  These places make you feel like you are  one of their franchises and that bugs us to no end.  It seems like it is another version of  John Henry vs. the steam engine or David vs. Goliath.  Their is a spiritual power in carrying on the old ways that helps us stand up to things we don't want to incorporate into our life.  It is about principal not money for us.  The shop felt pure again this weekend without these companies invading our universe.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:32:10 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:24 PM »
The article came out today.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/food/2019/05/13/pizza-shop-reno-removed-from-postmates-delivery-after-asking-40-times/1164861001/?fbclid=IwAR3ojhoBWN80yT18vyULo-OsZ3bCB3zZWG2Y1MTXF6i_aGSFk18H_N0Rxuc

Thanks for posting that, Walter. One other interesting angle from the article:

Postmates did not respond to the Reno Gazette Journal's request for comment.

In this age of social media and viral dissemination of fact and fiction, no responsible company can afford to go the "no comment" route. At the very least they plead to the journalist for a day or two to "investigate the details". Then they make a statement along the lines of "serving our customers is our highest ..... blah, blah". But not responding to a journalist means they just don't care about negative publicity or they are inundated with more than they can handle. 

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Walter. One other interesting angle from the article:

In this age of social media and viral dissemination of fact and fiction, no responsible company can afford to go the "no comment" route. At the very least they plead to the journalist for a day or two to "investigate the details". Then they make a statement along the lines of "serving our customers is our highest ..... blah, blah". But not responding to a journalist means they just don't care about negative publicity or they are inundated with more than they can handle.

Most restaurant owners are afraid to turn away a sale.  The reasons for that I couldn't say.  We turn away people all the time for lots of unintentional but necessary reasons  that keep us alive and well physically and emotionally.  Our split shift hours of operation, closing earlier than most, and not being open 7 days a week, are just a few things that loses us a customer.  Last week we went from 18" to 16" for our large pie, took small pies/calzones/Sicilians off the dinner menu, eliminated garlic knots altogether.  It has  caused a lot of confusion with regular customers.  Once we explained why most all said right on.  A few got upset and said they will never come back.  It is all OK with us.  We are shaping customers to fit what works for us vs. most food places will do the opposite.  Life is a short trip and you can't please everyone.  Doing what works for us makes it fun to be here and we have to respect our bodies (in our 60's).  My days of lifting 100 pounds of dough out of the mixer are done like a lot of things I use to be able to do easily in my youth working in this field.  Now we mix small batches. It takes a bit longer but I will live to mix another dough batch :)   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:24:35 PM by waltertore »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
I thought that this article about "ghost kitchens" and delivery services quite interesting as yet another twist on delivery services:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-15/your-food-delivery-may-come-faster-through-a-ghost-kitchen?srnd=premium

It seems to me that the ghost kitchen business model is a step away from chains like Domino's and Pizza Hut but without the familiar names or the need for eating areas, which tend to be sparse anyway from what I have observed (mostly a few tables). So the ghost kitchens are like generic commissaries without the familiar names. As the article makes clear, the ghost kitchen model is evolving, and can include quite a few failures. Yet, at the same time, pizza seems to be amenable to the ghost kitchen model, as the article notes. It also seems to me that the ghost kitchen model would not lend itself to pizzerias like the one that Walter runs where the focus in on quality and a more direct and more personal connection with people who seek and crave such quality and are willing and prepared to go to Walter's place to get high quality pizzas.

Peter

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »
I've done a few postmates routes, and would disagree with this.  There are many gig workers who provide value to society by offering this service to people.  I also worked with a group that delivered foods to "shut in's" who weren't privilged to "gourmet offerings" prior to this. 

Perhaps, you could open up to progress?

I know there are people with illness and disabilities and if someone came into Walter's shop and told them that they deliver hot meals to disabled persons, he would probably work with them. But that's not what's happening here.  I've used these delivery services a few times just to try them and I have a hard time calling them progress. They are a nightmare to work with compared to just calling up and ordering a pizza delivery from down the street.

Plus Walter is a perfectionist. If he wanted to do delivery pizza he would have structured his entire restaurant around that and have had different processes, handling procedures and maybe even different dough formulations. He would have probably picked a different location for that sort of restaurant too.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 04:47:32 PM »
Today the story came out in the hard copy daily newspaper. We have gotten several call and a dozen or so people come in congratulating us for standing up for what we believe in.  Very supportive and moving and our business increases (most all the callers and walkins were first timers) with every move we make to keep our little universe free of toxic stuff :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:50:38 PM by waltertore »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »
 Oh man, I wuz gonna ask you about your dough rec...Not! :-D  Stick to your guns!! You have worked long and hard to produce a great product. As you noted, some want things right now without working for it or taking the time to learn the skill. I have spent almost 10 years learning pizza making from the forum and I am still learning. Given a recipe, most people would still be unable to create it unless they already had good skills. If they already had the skills, they could devise a formula of their own. Ignore the naysayers. You are fulfilling your dream and in the process helping those in need. Does not get any better than that. Wish you nothing but success!

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
Oh man, I wuz gonna ask you about your dough rec...Not! :-D  Stick to your guns!! You have worked long and hard to produce a great product. As you noted, some want things right now without working for it or taking the time to learn the skill. I have spent almost 10 years learning pizza making from the forum and I am still learning. Given a recipe, most people would still be unable to create it unless they already had good skills. If they already had the skills, they could devise a formula of their own. Ignore the naysayers. You are fulfilling your dream and in the process helping those in need. Does not get any better than that. Wish you nothing but success!

Thanks for all your support :)  Love flows like a still river.  The more you give the more you get and the deeper, stronger, ones river/universe gets. Our river is running pretty deep with staff/customers and that is why we fought so hard to keep postmates out.  So if I am having an off day a customer or employee carrying that deep/strong love pulls me right out of my funk.  I think we all help each other to feel the love and let it change the world around us.  That love is also the mojo on the food that one can't get without living it.  I feel Frank Mastro, who invented our ovens, shinning on the pizza everyday.  Since we streamlined the menu to just large pies at dinner they are coming out better than ever.  Frank designed them for 6 pies and with our former 18" large each could only bake 4.  The river of love is free to all in this universe.  All we have to do is surrender blindly to it.  Money is nice and we need enough to live but unto itself it is of no value to our philosophy of life. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:44:10 AM by waltertore »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
Walter for info you web site menu still shows the 18" pies and no 16" that I could find.
All the best, Dave

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
I cleaned up this topic and removed messages that I consider personal attacks. If you have a beef with someone, send them a private message and keep it off the public forums. Thanks.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
Walter for info you web site menu still shows the 18" pies and no 16" that I could find.

Thanks!  Internet skills are not my high point :)

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
Looks like Postmates aren't the only scum that post menus and take order without restaurants' permission:

DoorDash delivery accused of taking orders without restaurant's permission

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
Looks like Postmates aren't the only scum that post menus and take order without restaurants' permission:

DoorDash delivery accused of taking orders without restaurant's permission

We fought hard to get rid of doordash too. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
According to this Wall Street Journal article, even companies like Domino's are getting hurt by delivery services, including DoorDash that Walter mentioned:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dominos-pizza-reports-slowing-growth-11563286889

If the above link does not work because it gets behind a paywall, this link should work:

https://www.pmq.com/increased-food-delivery-competition-hurts-dominos-sales-growth/

Peter

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:59 PM »
And, to add insult to injury:

Delivery apps like DoorDash are using your tips to pay workers’ wages
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/22/20703434/delivery-app-tip-pay-theft-doordash-amazon-flex-instacart

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
And, to add insult to injury:

Delivery apps like DoorDash are using your tips to pay workers’ wages
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/22/20703434/delivery-app-tip-pay-theft-doordash-amazon-flex-instacart

That's super shady. I doubt that that it's legal here in California.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
That's super shady. I doubt that that it's legal here in California.

That would ironic as the idea was likely hatched there   :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage