A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Shakeys pizza & some tips  (Read 137769 times)

Offline JohnnyQuest

Re: Shakeys pizza & some tips
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Camwell,

I agree, they do look that way.  But I did watch them take a dough and run it through a pizza sheeter, and then cook it in a wood fired pizza oven.

Perhaps it's just a different thin crust? How does one define the difference?  When is thin so thin it becomes a tostada? Interesting.

Offline camwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
Thinking about it a little more, maybe part of my reaction is that they seem to have used mostly diced fresh tomatoes and no (or minimal) tomato sauce. Of course, you don't have to have tomato sauce to have a pizza (pizzas biancas, for example), but using diced tomatoes rather than tomato sauce just makes them look all the more Tex-Mex-y.

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
Interesting, I mistakenly thought you were referring to the dough!

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »
IMHO, a sheeter is not necessary.

You and I both know it depends on how much of a purist one is. Tell the pizza napoletana guys that the water doesn't matter.  ::)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »
You and I both know it depends on how much of a purist one is. Tell the pizza napoletana guys that the water doesn't matter.  ::)
I can operate a rolling pin and get a dough skin as thin as I want. How many book folds you want....ok, no problem man. Maybe not all night long....but then I'm only doing one pie.
Ryan is the one always crying how difficult it is.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
I can operate a rolling pin and get a dough skin as thin as I want. How many book folds you want....ok, no problem man. Maybe not all night long....but then I'm only doing one pie.
Ryan is the one always crying how difficult it is.....

:-D :-D :-D The difference by hand is how much you develop the dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2014, 11:31:18 PM »
:-D :-D :-D The difference by hand is how much you develop the dough.
Nope...not if you have the strength of Orion.   Like Chicago Bob!  :-D

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
You can buy a 12" sheetmetal slip roller for under $200.  Just remove the third roller and have at it.   :chef: 

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
You can buy a 12" sheetmetal slip roller for under $200.  Just remove the third roller and have at it.   :chef:

Wow has anyone tested this. I love the idea

Offline jpaul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »
This recipe still rocks! I didn't get the color I wanted on the crust though.  My oven could only reach up to 480F.  I wonder if adding sugar would help get better color.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2020, 10:40:52 PM »
This recipe still rocks! I didn't get the color I wanted on the crust though.  My oven could only reach up to 480F.  I wonder if adding sugar would help get better color.

Yes j,. @. 480 degrees a bit of sugar will probably get you Golden!   You have enough oven for this style

J,. what are those little "Shakey's" packets I see in your second pic?   Did you get them recently at a Shakey's ye ole pizza parlour?   😎

Offline jpaul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2020, 06:34:44 AM »
Hi @Chicago Bob! Thanks for the tip! I'll try this again but this time on my impinger oven and see how it goes.  Do you think I still need to par bake the crust if I'm going to use an impinger?

And yes, that hot sauce packet comes from Shakey's.  In the Philippines, Shakey's is a strong brand and is alive and well. The Philippines company that holds the license plans to bring the brand to other markets outside of the Philippines.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »
No, I don't think I'd par bake... Give it a ride, bet it'll be great!   :pizza:

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »
Thought I would give this "Instant Pizza" recipe a go. Turned out pretty well. The Wife and I both enjoyed it. I preheated my stone on the bottom rack of my oven @ 585. I used Crisco in the pan and brushed Olive Oil over the crust before par baking. I par baked for 4 minutes. Removed the pie shell from the pan and cooled on a wire rack before topping. I opted for Grande Whole Milk Cheese sliced on the bottom, then sauced it, a couple drops of fresh mozzarella and freshly grated Parm on top. Baked for another 10 minutes. Removed and let cool slightly before cutting and eating. All in all pretty darn good. Will be experimenting with this one again.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2020, 02:19:59 AM »
Like this thread, I use to go to Shakey's a lot as a kid/teen. Still have one a few miles away.  I want to try making one, have a question though. I suck suck suck with a rolling pin, but I have a Marcato pasta roller. I'm thinking I roll out 3 sheets and pinch them together somehow afterwards then cut it into a circle shape. I'm still learning about thickness with pizza dough though so would anyone know about what roller setting I'd want to end with here? I'm assuming my pasta roller would work the dough the same as a sheeter.  And like when I make pasta, 2-3 folds on each thickness until I reach the desired one?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
Hi Quebert,

I think what you are describing with the Marcato pasta roller could work if you overlap the sheets a tad and cut it in a circle.  There was a post years ago (so long ago, I forget where it was) that talked about this method.  The trick will be how dry the dough is, and you should lightly flour it before running it through.  I would suggest increasing your hydration percentage by 2-3% more than what you originally intended if you give this a try.

Good luck!

-ME

Like this thread, I use to go to Shakey's a lot as a kid/teen. Still have one a few miles away.  I want to try making one, have a question though. I suck suck suck with a rolling pin, but I have a Marcato pasta roller. I'm thinking I roll out 3 sheets and pinch them together somehow afterwards then cut it into a circle shape. I'm still learning about thickness with pizza dough though so would anyone know about what roller setting I'd want to end with here? I'm assuming my pasta roller would work the dough the same as a sheeter.  And like when I make pasta, 2-3 folds on each thickness until I reach the desired one?
Let them eat pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
Hi Quebert,

I think what you are describing with the Marcato pasta roller could work if you overlap the sheets a tad and cut it in a circle.  There was a post years ago (so long ago, I forget where it was) that talked about this method.  The trick will be how dry the dough is, and you should lightly flour it before running it through.  I would suggest increasing your hydration percentage by 2-3% more than what you originally intended if you give this a try.

Good luck!

-ME
ME,

As you may recall, several years ago, when you and I and several other members were trying to replicate the Round Table dough recipe, there were several posts that mentioned using a pasta roller or machine to emulate the sheeter that RT used. The basic thread itself is at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1911.0

If one searches the above thread using pasta roller or pasta machine as the search terms, several posts should be identified as having those terms.

Peter

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
ME,

As you may recall, several years ago, when you and I and several other members were trying to replicate the Round Table dough recipe, there were several posts that mentioned using a pasta roller or machine to emulate the sheeter that RT used. The basic thread itself is at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1911.0

If one searches the above thread using pasta roller or pasta machine as the search terms, several posts should be identified as having those terms.

Peter

Thank you Peter! 

Unfortunately, I did not recall  :(.  I was hoping someone, such as yourself, would be able to clear through the cobwebs and find that information.  Much obliged.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
Thank you Peter! 

Unfortunately, I did not recall  :(.  I was hoping someone, such as yourself, would be able to clear through the cobwebs and find that information.  Much obliged.

-ME
ME,

To be truthful, I did not remember either, it was so long ago. But, as it so happens, a member sent me a PM asking me about a Round Table clone dough recipe and it was during my research for an answer that I saw several mentions of using a pasta roller.

Peter

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
Ok, I'm still pretty basic in my pizza dough making skills, but sometime this week I plan to bust out my pasta roller and attempt this recipe.  Seeing how I'm less than skilled at anything other than using a stand mixer or stretch and fold, it'll be interesting I'm sure.  I'll post some pics even if it's a super fail.  I loved Shakey's & Straw Hat growing up, I'm hoping I get lucky and nail it.  I'm pretty good at making pasta with my roller, so who knows maybe it'll translate to making this lol.