A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pete-zza Does DKM Cracker Style  (Read 138314 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza Does DKM Cracker Style
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
Peter,

If you have a different or 'updated' version, I'd be happy to give it a try and post the results.  Things are getting back to normal here in Socal and KABF is available again!

But my Smart and Final has been out of 7/11 since mid-March... >:(

Cheers, Kurt
Kurt,

No, I do not have a different or updated version to try. Once I achieve success by my standards, I tend to move on to other challenges. I have always had a lot of fun and have learned a lot from my clone experiments. As you may have noted, I try to be thorough and complete in my posts. That is to make it easier for others to replicate what I did. My posts also become my archives and spares me having to save paper copies of everything I do.

I'm glad that you and your family are enjoying your clones and with a pizzeria atmosphere to boot. ;D

Peter

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
Kurt,

No, I do not have a different or updated version to try. Once I achieve success by my standards, I tend to move on to other challenges. I have always had a lot of fun and have learned a lot from my clone experiments. As you may have noted, I try to be thorough and complete in my posts. That is to make it easier for others to replicate what I did. My posts also become my archives and spares me having to save paper copies of everything I do.

I'm glad that you and your family are enjoying your clones and with a pizzeria atmosphere to boot. ;D

Peter

Thanks Again, Peter.  And by the way Your Papa John is also a favorite. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
Thanks Again, Peter.  And by the way Your Papa John is also a favorite.
Kurt,

That makes me doubly happy that you and your family liked one of my PJ clones. Feel free to post at the PJ clone thread at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg58195#msg58195 which particular recipe you used, since that might help other members, and also informs me of which recipes most resonate with our members. When it comes to dough formulations, unless I am working with another member to create workable formulations, like with Norma, or unless I am trying to make an important point, my practice has always been to try to report on my successes, and not my failures, on the theory that people are too busy in their lives with more important matters to want to spend time reading about failures. The failures, albeit rare in my experience, tell me how to change things to achieve success. That is when I provide the details on what I did to achieve success, at least by my personal standards. At the same time, I stand ready to help other members with problems they are experiencing with their pizza making. That is the beauty of this forum.

Peter

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2020, 11:04:52 AM »
Kurt,

Peter

So Peter, which was the final formulation that you settled on?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »
So Peter, which was the final formulation that you settled on?
Dave,

That is a difficult question to answer. And the reason is that a lot depends on the equipment that you have available to you can make a credible dough in a typical home setting that has a hydration value of only 36%. You will also need to find a way to be able to roll out such a low hydration dough with a rolling pin. And, finally, you will have to have a method for pre-baking the rolled-out skins before dressing and baking.

In my case, I found that using a food processor (a 14-cup Cuisinart processor) worked better than my KitchenAid stand mixer. I also tried using my Zojirushi bread maker to prepare the dough, and that did not work out well because that machine could not handle a dough with a hydration of only 36%. However, quite surprisingly, I found that I could actually make a very good dough by hand.

Another challenge that confronted me was how to be able to roll the dough out easily, using only a standard home type rolling pin. The answer to that challenge was to use a proofing box that I built that could warm the dough to around 110 degrees F. That made rolling the dough out a breeze. I also tried using my standard electric oven to preheat the dough but I could not control the temperature sufficiently well to make that a good choice. That led to my using a dough warming method by member Jon. But, without preheating the dough, it becomes a real chore to be able to roll out the dough to form the desired skins easily and quickly.

Lastly, you have to find the best way of docking and pre-baking the skins and then finishing the bake when the cheese, sauce and toppings are placed on the pre-baked skins. In my case, I used an unperforated cutter pan. But there are other options that might also be good ones, such as pizza screens or other types of pans. Maybe even a pizza stone or steel. In my case, I stuck with my cutter pan.

With the above as background, you might find these posts to be useful guides in the event you decide to try to make the DKM-based cracker crusts, inasmuch as the posts describe in detail how I approached the challenge of making cracker-style crusts in a typical home setting.

Reply 16 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5762.msg49138#msg49138,

Replies 61 and Reply 62 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5762.msg49722#msg49722, and

Replies 126, 127 and 128 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5762.msg53174#msg53174.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress