A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019  (Read 14733 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
Will,

Is this the one you recommend I use? How did you like the taste compared to your current process using IDY and freezing the dough? If you werenít freezing some of your doughs for future use would you still be using SD?

Advice approved
Sapp

Hi, sapp.
 Thanks for stopping by. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Before we get into your question, how did you like my very west coast pea tendril pie?
 Regarding sourdough pizza. Good questions. You know, with all the challenges, color, freeze ability, I really don't think sourdough skins gave me anything more than cachet. With all my toppings I can't detect a flavor difference. Maybe others have a more sensitive palate, (very possible) I am but a simple handyman! No, I don't think I would give up commercial yeast. Give me a few days, I am about to be a very busy man. I will find and post up the very last sourdough formula I was using. Thanks for your interest in my method! Smile... Ah. taking about color. In my last two pies, I tried something I like. I have always hated the dull color of my cornice. I tried straight oil a while back, hated that too. Straight water, Not a lot of help. Now, I add about a Tbs. of water to the residual oil in my dough container. I mix it into a thickish emulsion and paint the cornice. Works a treat so far!

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2021, 03:25:00 PM »
I did like the pea tendril pizza!  The grocery stores down here at the Jersey shore donít always carry the greatest products so I have to constantly order things or drive an hour to a Whole Foods or Wegmans.

Your SD comments are interesting and maybe I should focus on other things. I love the flavor it imparts my NP pies and honed my handling/fermentation/maturation process but these NY pies taste great too. To quote my wifeĒ you have aWFO that costs as much as a Subaru and all the time you could have made pizza that tastes this good in the Fín oven!Ē. I eventually want to kick up my whole grain to 20% and retry these pies in the WFO just at a lower temperature than I usually use it at.

Your cornice looks fine to me by the way and I have an aversion to white bread pizza.

Iíll post my next test on the thread entitled Gumbawill Wannabe if you would like to check in and comment

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2021, 10:22:41 PM »

Your SD comments are interesting and maybe I should focus on other things.

Iíll post my next test on the thread entitled Gumbawill Wannabe if you would like to check-in and comment

hey, Sap. This is the last sourdough formula. Pretty close to what I do now with IDY. The only difference I see, I now use a T.F. of .085
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=57647.msg581872#msg581872

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2021, 10:42:25 PM »
Thanks Will. The recipe makes sense with other SDís I made.  I made some doughs today. Four were a riff on your IDY formula but I reduced yeast, replaced the sugar with more Malt. 2 hr bulk RT then in fridge for 40 hours at 37 degrees. Plan to do final RT ferment on Sunday for 6 hours.

The SD doughs were 15% Levain like yours. I upped the whole grains to 30% and did 1 hour at RT then balled and into wine cellar at 55 for 48 hours. I will take the dough out one hour before baking. The dough looks very similar to the picture in the link. We will see if this is a giant waste of time for a NY pie since your core recipe tastes great.

The 67% hydration you prescribe seemed wetter than usual today. My prior Gumbawill copycats have been somewhat hard to handle but give a great result. Had you experimented with other hydration levels?

I will post my results under Gumbawill Wannabe thread Sunday night.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2021, 05:50:26 AM »
\.

The 67% hydration you prescribe seemed wetter than usual today. My prior Gumbawill copycats have been somewhat hard to handle but give a great result. Had you experimented with other hydration levels?

I will post my results under Gumbawill Wannabe thread Sunday night.

sourdough/pre-fermented doughs are always going to be wetter. That being said, sometimes I need to massage a little oil into my hands and ball the dough up once. Then it becomes very manageable, for the scaling and separating. I don't take notes, but I started around 65% I went up a couple of points to open the crumb a little. Now I am settled on 67%, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »
Will, I have completed my Gumbawill inspired NY journey... sourdough, whole grain and NY style. The sourdough dough fermentation and maturation came in just right because I was following prior SD Neopolitan recipes . The whole grain was over30% if you include the starter. I also made your recipe but eliminated the sugar and doubled the malt.

Bottom line, I like the SD but then it tastes like my Neopolitan so I will stick with the riffs on your base recipe with IDY and sugar with changes that reflect my workflow

Recipe and a few of the pies in Gumbawill Wannabe Thread.

Next obsession is baguettes

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »

Next obsession is baguettes

Nice. Sorry but I am not a whole lot of help on baguettes! Smile...

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
Now you are just playing with me. That looks pretty perfect for ďa simple handyman ď :chef

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
Now you are just playing with me. That looks pretty perfect for ďa simple handyman ď :chef

This is one of my original formulas. Yes, I fancy myself a formula developer/handyman. I know you're a whole grain fan. What about a semolina baguette? Enjoy!

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
Today we have a rare from fresh, room temperature ferment bake. Six dough balls came out of the mixer at 12:00 PM. Five of them were balled and went straight into the deep freeze. One was fermented on the counter for three hours. Then placed into the refrigerator. At 4:00 PM back to the counter for a 5:00 PM bake off.

Offline GumbaWill

Now that is one even, smooth playing field!
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »
Today we have a rare from fresh, room temperature ferment bake.

Wow! I am speachless!

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »
Those baguettes look beautiful. Semolina is delicious, the family would approve... half Sardinian and half from Basilicata emigrated to Brooklyn.

I may need baby steps because I have never formed baguettes and I donít usually work with Biga. Worth a try next week

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2021, 07:05:36 PM »
Those baguettes look beautiful. Semolina is delicious, the family would approve... half Sardinian and half from Basilicata emigrated to Brooklyn.

I may need baby steps because I have never formed baguettes and I donít usually work with Biga. Worth a try next week

Offline GumbaWill

order up! Pain cheese with fresh basil
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
Monday night, delight!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:00 PM »
Beautiful Pies!!!!  What was your dough formula for those? 

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
Re: order up! Pain cheese with fresh basil
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
Monday night, delight!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!  :chef: :chef: :chef:

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2021, 06:45:59 PM »
Plain cheese.

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2021, 08:39:37 PM »
Beautiful Will. I think I am ready to graduate from Gumbawill Puzza School based on tonightís efforts. I will post in my separate thread. Iím ready to begin baguette school.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2021, 09:07:30 PM »
Killin it Will. Beautiful pies...and I just now saw those baguettes!!

Matt

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2021, 12:50:14 AM »