A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019  (Read 4037 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2019, 07:20:53 PM »
I hit Sansone today to re-up my pizza stash. The new retail shop is open! I Think I am going to miss the old spot. The East coast blend was on display. I had to ask for the loafs of Grande W.M. at first I was told they only had the east coast. Then the chick beg=hind the deli counter found me two loafs! No #10 can of 7/11, the only Stanislaus tomatoes they had was alta cucina. The manager told me to try these imported Ciao crushed tomatoes. I made him promise he would 7/11 next time I visited. I also picked up these long ziti packages, perfect for an authentic Maltese baked macaroni dish! I didn't ask for the All Trumps 50lbs of flour, since I still am a couple of weeks from having the room for it. I have my doubts that they will still offer 50lb sacks.

Chick?
John

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2019, 07:35:45 PM »

Chick?

Yes, chick. It is a term of endearment to describe a female person. Please don't tell me this is now considered offensive? Eye roll...

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »
Yes, chick. It is a term of endearment to describe a female person. Please don't tell me this is now considered offensive? Eye roll...

:-D :-D  Please come to Denver and tell the female Engineers I work with that "Chick" is a "term of endearment".  I'd like to witness that. :o

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
:-D :-D  Please come to Denver and tell the female Engineers I work with that "Chick" is a "term of endearment".  I'd like to witness that. :o

I propose an experiment. Parallei, in a nonchalant manor ask a group of your female colleagues, how they feel about "chick flicks" Or if they like the band the "Dixie Chicks". Please report back and let us know if they so much as blink an eye at the term/name. My guess is they will answer your query, without a thought about the word "chick" being used. I await your results. You could also fit "chicks night out" into a conversation. However, use one of the terms, not all three, so as not to raise suspicions. Thank you for your help. Smile...

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
I propose an experiment. Parallei, in a nonchalant manor ask a group of your female colleagues, how they feel about "chick flicks" Or if they like the band the "Dixie Chicks". Please report back and let us know if they so much as blink an eye at the term/name. My guess is they will answer your query, without a thought about the word "chick" being used. I await your results. You could also fit "chicks night out" into a conversation. However, use one of the terms, not all three, so as not to raise suspicions. Thank you for your help. Smile...

I don't need to do an experiment.  Your use of "chicks", in the context you used it, would be considered dismissive by my female colleagues.  I'm one of those old farts that thinks context is important.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
I hit Sansone today to re-up my pizza stash. The new retail shop is open! I Think I am going to miss the old spot...

I've been dreading the retail store opening. They made the claim to my wife that everything would still be available, but I knew there was no chance. And I worry that it'll get worse over time. I'm surprised about 7/11. Not so surprised about the cheese blocks - even at the old place they always tried to push the bags, but would give me the blocks when I declined.

Matt

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
I don't need to do an experiment.  Your use of "chicks", in the context you used it, would be considered dismissive by my female colleagues.  I'm one of those old farts that thinks context is important.

Context, hmm. I referred to a young girl as a "chick" I think if you did the little experiment, you would find that the term "chick" is very benign, and used by both men and women, never with the intention of demining or putting a women down.  ;D I do find it amusing how easily people are offended these days. Not so very long ago, it seems to me we all had a thicker skin. Oh well progress, I guess? Eye roll...

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »

At first blush those do seem to be double standards but it is, as Paul said, context. As men, we canít be on the wrong side of this. The way it was explained to me when I was about 12 is: chicks are chickens and chickens lay. Presumably, none of us are going to lead off with that.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »

Context is very important.  I'm as anti-PC as anyone.  I was mostly shocked because I thought that term (in the context it was presented) died 40 years ago.
John

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »

At first blush those do seem to be double standards but it is, as Paul said, context. As men, we canít be on the wrong side of this. The way it was explained to me when I was about 12 is: chicks are chickens and chickens lay. Presumably, none of us are going to lead off with that.

I have never heard that explanation of the origin of the term. The origin I always assumed was that "chick" came from the older English term for women "Bird". Hence, young women = "chick" Equality, inappropriate as "birds" are though of as prey. All that being said with time all that history as went by the wayside. I would be more than confident that 9 out of 10 women would not be offended by the term in this day and age. (Given a reasonable context) While I used the term in my post, I did not call the young lady a "chick" at any time. However I bet she would rather be referred to as a "chick" than as a "youngster" Alright no use beating a dead horse, my next activity on the forum with be a post about my sauce/ dough progress! :drool: Peace!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:38:39 PM by GumbaWill »

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2019, 06:16:50 PM »
Nice! The pizza man is back on the horse!

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2019, 11:32:05 PM »
By the way, I picked up this way cool, stainless steel 16 qt. mixing bowl. The dual purpose I had in mind was 6 pie quantity of pumpkin pie filling and cutting down on the spray when making my "world famous" pizza sauce. (Eye roll) Worked a peach today for the sauce!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2019, 05:37:38 AM »
Looking good! What'd you think of the Ciao tomato?

Matt

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2019, 05:47:30 AM »
Looking good! What'd you think of the Ciao tomato?

They are different than the domestic tomatoes. Personally I like how my sauce comes out with the sweeter 7/11. That being said it still made a tasty pizza sauce.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:44:21 AM by GumbaWill »

Offline GumbaWill

Eureka! Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2019, 06:33:21 AM »
While stocking 1/2 of the separated cheese in the freezer yesterday, I found another frozen dough ball! The last pizza above was also from a  frozen dough ball. The dough handling as follows, an overnight slow defrost in the refrigerator, then a re-ball and about 6 hours at room temp. ( rough estimates) alas I am not as methodical as you fine pizzaiolos! This time around I am trying 24 hour cold defrost, re-ball with another 24 hr. cold ferment. From there I will let it warm to room temp. for 45 min. right before the bake. I have to say I was impressed by my last pies rise after over a month in the freezer! Below we have tomorrows pizza deconstructed. First photo, my latest made for freezing formula. #2 Deconstructed. #3 Re-balled. Note for simplicity and neatness I printed the formula rounded to no decimal places. the yeast is about .27. ( I was shooting for .25)
Deconstructed ingredients: 8oz. Sauce, 16 oz. Grande whole milk, 16 oz. Wegman's loose hot Italian sausage meat. 1Dough ball from (6 weeks) frozen. Today I make a fresh batch of dough. 
Baking info. Gas oven cranked all the way up. I have tested my 16" 1/4 thick steel at close to 600 deg. The steel is placed on the middle oven rack. Skin is on a screen. Pre- heat is at least 60 minutes. Even with all that I bake for 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:54:29 AM by GumbaWill »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
You should of tried the Alta Cucina's they're top notch when processed through a tomato strainer.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »
You should of tried the Alta Cucina's they're top notch when processed through a tomato strainer.

Alta Cucina were the first Stanislaus tomatoes I tried. Your right they are very good. However I get more portions out of 1 # 10 can of 7/11. Plus I like the slightly thicker texture I get. The texture of the caio is about the same as the 7/11. Taste is different.

Offline GumbaWill

Pizza Wednesday-Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
Pizza Wednesday. The players are,
18" Pizza skin @ 613 grams
Tomato sauce @ 8 Oz.
Parmigiano Reggiano
Mozzarella cheese 16 Oz.
Fire Roasted red peppers
Italian hot sausage 16 Oz.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
I love that 3rd picture! Thanks for posting your work and process or approach to things.
-Tony

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
I don't know if pictures are fooling me but it looks as if you're getting a better rise and much better color on your pies, very nice!