A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to get more crispy bottom with home oven?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline davefr

How to get more crispy bottom with home oven?
« on: May 25, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
I love my pizzas using the Lehman recipe,  but even with my home oven at 550 and using a pizza stone, I just can't get a crispy crust.  I do tend to use lots of mozz. cheese and like a topping of pepperoni and pepperoncinis.

What 2-3 things should I try?

Precook the skin only for a few minutes?
Coat the top of the skin with olive oil prior to other ingrediants?

Any other tips for "dialing up" the crispiness for home cooked pizzas?

TIA

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: How to get more crispy bottom with home oven?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
On thing to try is to take the pizza out, put it on a rack for a few minutes to steam off and then put it back on the stone for a minute or two. Kind of like reheating a slice.

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »
A couple of thoughts...
a) When fully baked, put it on a cooling rack to cool ~3min before slicing to let the steam escape.
b) Use a pizza steel, instead of a stone.
c) Try a dough recipe for cracker-like crusts (but that wouldn't be your favorite Lehman recipe)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
I love my pizzas using the Lehman recipe,  but even with my home oven at 550 and using a pizza stone, I just can't get a crispy crust.  I do tend to use lots of mozz. cheese and like a topping of pepperoni and pepperoncinis.

What 2-3 things should I try?

Precook the skin only for a few minutes?
Coat the top of the skin with olive oil prior to other ingrediants?

Any other tips for "dialing up" the crispiness for home cooked pizzas?

TIA
davefr,

If you haven't already tried this you might put the stone on the lowest oven rack position. And you can always lift the pizza to the highest oven rack position if the top hasn't baked enough to your satisfaction.

Another possibility is to lower your bake temperature to around 500 degrees F and bake the pizza longer.

Peter

Offline lazysean

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 02:58:02 PM »
How long are you preheating for?  A good thick stone may take an hour or more to come up to temp before baking...

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
Put a steel plate down on the lowest shelf, run it at the highest setting for half hour, then open the oven door a bit and let heat escape while the lower burner heats the plate from underneath for at least 15-20 mins, then move the steel plate to the top shelf, turn on the broiler and launch the pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 01:29:38 AM »
Place your stone right on the bottom deck of your oven... No rack/shelf... On the damn deck dude. And be prepared to finish up high on broil.
Easy peazzy...💃🤠

If you have convection oven... Turn the thing on as soon as you launch mission control. ,🌌

Twill be a thing of beauty.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:55:57 AM »
You might have to go quite low in the oven with lots of toppings, but you could get it done without having to replace it during baking. Every oven is different so you'll have to experiment. In my oven I place the stone at the bottom rack and bake in 6 minutes with the broiler.

Try different positions and oven settings. Ideally, you can find a spot that bake the entire pizza well without having to move it around in the oven.

In my previous oven I got the best results using convection.

And make sure you heat the stone long enough. I noticed a difference between 1 hour and 2 hours.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
Getting crispy crust is simple, make it thin crust.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline nick.22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
davefr,

If you haven't already tried this you might put the stone on the lowest oven rack position. And you can always lift the pizza to the highest oven rack position if the top hasn't baked enough to your satisfaction.

Another possibility is to lower your bake temperature to around 500 degrees F and bake the pizza longer.

Peter
Does this method work if I am using broiler method for baking?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »
Getting crispy crust is simple, make it thin crust.
how do you make a Detroit style thinner?  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Does this method work if I am using broiler method for baking?
nick.22,

Yes, you can use the broiler but in my oven I tended to use the broiler mainly when I used flours that were unmalted, such as 00 flours. You can read about other methods in Reply 45 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg20965#msg20965

Peter

Offline nick.22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »
nick.22,

Yes, you can use the broiler but in my oven I tended to use the broiler mainly when I used flours that were unmalted, such as 00 flours. You can read about other methods in Reply 45 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg20965#msg20965

Peter
Thanks

Offline Mooch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 07:44:41 AM »
My mrs has one of these (image attached) which I've used to put the pizza on once it's done in the oven to make the bottom a bit more crispier whenever it's been needed. It's worked well for me each time.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:07:06 AM »
Dialing in the perfect amount of fermentation for your crust can really help to make it more crispy.  Unfortunately this can take a good amount of time and experimentation.   

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
I could never get mine to stay crispy same for bread

Anytime I baked a loaf,  the crust starts  going soft sometimes in minutes.   I'd throw it back in oven and cook it to death. It helps, but only so much you can cook it.  Also tried creating steam in oven,  letting the bread cool down with oven turned off and door slightly open.       

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:20:48 PM by MadMatt »

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
These are all great comments/ideas. I totally agree about dialing in the fermentation, too.
As a home electric oven user (with stone and steel combo), for NY style pizzas, to get the “no flop” slice with crispy bottom, 2 things changed everything for me:
 - finishing the pie on a steel
 - cooling the pie on a rack for a few minutes BEFORE slicing. As mentioned before, a piping hot pie that gets sliced while on a serving pan can become soft and floppy in seconds.
You can't make good pizza on the weekend unless you're making it all week...

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »
These are all great comments/ideas. I totally agree about dialing in the fermentation, too.
As a home electric oven user (with stone and steel combo), for NY style pizzas, to get the “no flop” slice with crispy bottom, 2 things changed everything for me:
 - finishing the pie on a steel
 - cooling the pie on a rack for a few minutes BEFORE slicing. As mentioned before, a piping hot pie that gets sliced while on a serving pan can become soft and floppy in seconds.

- I've always started on the steel and finished on the stone.  I'll try your method next time.

- Totally agree about letting anything, other than NP, cool down a bit first.

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
- I've always started on the steel and finished on the stone.  I'll try your method next time.

- Totally agree about letting anything, other than NP, cool down a bit first.

I think both methods work, but results can differ depending on how the oven heats (top or bottom elements), thickness of stone/steel, and how much the broiler is or is not on during the bake. Perhaps I should be trying YOUR method....
The best part of pizza making is trying new things and figuring out what works and what suits our tastes!
You can't make good pizza on the weekend unless you're making it all week...

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
 I have an electric oven that tops out a 550 degrees, though I suspect the real temp is a few degrees lower. I clean my oven regularly, it helps to cut down on the hot spots that can cause a few areas of the crust to bake too quickly. I have two different stones that are made from two different materials. One is a cordierite stone that is almost 3/4" thick. It transfers heat better than my other stone. Most of my bakes average about 8 minutes. I never fail to get a crispy bottom crust. I let the stone get up to the highest temp my oven will reach for at least an hour. I find if I go out to a 90 minute preheat the results for a crispy crust is even better.

I let the dough come up to temp after pulling from the fridge for 2 hours and sometimes up to 3 hours. Do not use sauce straight from the fridge. Let it come up to room temp before using. If your crust is thick or you have a lot of toppings or a combo of both, it will take longer for the crust to cook, and could cause the bottom not enough time to get crispy. Do not take the cooked pie from the oven and place on a pizza pan or a cutting board. Place the baked pie on a cooling rack to release the steam from the bottom for at least a few minutes. To get a more crispy crust, after letting it cool on the rack slide it back onto the stone and let it bake for about 60 to 90 seconds for a super crispy crust. I never have problem getting a crispy bottom. A steel seems to work very well for browning up the bottom, but for me a good stone works. I have made several pies using Tom's recipe and the crust is always crispy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:47:44 PM by nick57 »

wordpress