A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Activitating Ischia Culture  (Read 1259 times)

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
Activitating Ischia Culture
« on: May 26, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
Quick question.  I am activating a new Ischia culture.

The instructions say  -----   At the end of the first 24 hours a few bubbles may appear as the first sign of growth and activity.  Subsequent feedings should be140 grams of flour (1 cup) and  170 grams water  ( cup) at approximately 12 hour intervals with the temperature reduced to around 21oC  (70oF) which favors the growth and activity of the wild yeast.  Each feeding will require discarding some of the mixture or the jar will overflow.

My question is this.   How much do I discard and how much do I keep after the first 24 hours and for feedings thereafter?
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Activitating Ischia Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »

The instructions say  -----   At the end of the first 24 hours a few bubbles may appear as the first sign of growth and activity.  Subsequent feedings should be140 grams of flour (1 cup) and  170 grams water  ( cup) at approximately 12 hour intervals with the temperature reduced to around 21oC  (70oF) which favors the growth and activity of the wild yeast.  Each feeding will require discarding some of the mixture or the jar will overflow.

My question is this.   How much do I discard and how much do I keep after the first 24 hours and for feedings thereafter?

I like to keep it simple. When I start a culture I discard all but 25g and feed with 25g each flour/water every 24 hours.

Kind of like this:

Hans

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
HansB:  Thank you for the video.  That's quite a bit of variation from Ed Woods method.  The biggest question to you is the video says simply stir after 24 hours and let it sit again.  Woods clearly says feed it (he does not say discard or not). What are your thoughts?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »

As Hans mentioned in another thread recently, this will waste a lot of flour. It looks to me like you would be going through just under 4 1/2 pounds a week following this method. That may be off because I am unsure of how long the instructions would have you adding 2 cups a day.

-Tony

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
Agreed.  I think I will go 40/40 or 50/50.  My basic question is after the first 24 hours.  Discard or not?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
I'd skip the first discard/feeding. The activity that you see in the first couple of days is just good and bad bacteria sorting itself out. Typically you'll see activity initially, then it will settle down for several days as good bacteria takes over.
Hans

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »
My basic question is after the first 24 hours.  Discard or not?

It took so looking through old posts, but I found that I discarded when starting my Ischia culture.  See here:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12839.msg124409#msg124409.

I'm not sure if discarding or not would really make much a difference.  But that is what I did.  Of course, you'll get to a point where you have to discard!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
It smelled a bit sour after the first 24 hours so I fed it 100g flour/100g water with no discard.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
It's going to smell bad for the first few days...
Hans

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
It's going to smell bad for the first few days...

My Ischia sure did smell funky when I started it!

This thread inspired me to do another starter.  I  mixed 50g of GMBF with 50g tap water, after 24 hours I mixed in 25g GMBF and 25g tap water.  All at room temp (68F-ish).  It smells wheat sweet, with a bit of alcohol and seems to be off to the races.  Weird. We'll see. :-D 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:38:39 PM by parallei »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
The activity that you see in the first couple of days is just good and bad bacteria sorting itself out. Typically you'll see activity initially, then it will settle down for several days as good bacteria takes over.
Definitely a lot of activity right now.  It rises and then a layer of hooch forms in between the new mixture and the foam. 

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
Day 3 Morning Report.   Looking more normal now.  About 2x rise in foam vs. much more on day 2.  Smells less funky.  Has just a bit of hooch on top.  Will feed again this morning.

Offline Fat_Tony

• Pizza is life
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
Hi,

randomly I am also on day 3 of my Ischia starter from Ed Wood. I also purchased their book "Classic Sourdoughs: A Home Bakers Handbook". The cultures came with a sheet of paper with instructions and inside the book there are also instructions. Both instructions contradict each other quite significantly! One says to discard the hootch, the other says to stir it in and they give different measurements on what to feed it. I also find it annoying that the instructions that came with the cultures don't give exact weight measurements of how much water and flour you're supposed to feed the starter. The book does give these measurements: 140g flour to 180ml or 180g of water. The books instructions are much more clear and recent IMO. It says to discard half. So I've been weighing the starter, cutting it in half and feeding it. After the 24hr 32F sweat I feed it 140g flour to 180g water then on my 3rd feeding I went to 140g flour to 140g water because I want a 50:50 flour to water starter eventually and after the first week I will convert it to a 1:1:1 starter so that at feeding I will have the exact amount of starter to flour to water. Probably 50g:50g:50g.

IMO I think it's better to follow the instructions given for the first 5-7 days until the culture had fully woken up. Let me know how yours turns out and I'll report back also.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »
Hey Tony:

Same starter, same day, how's that for coincidence?  I read the paper with the insructions and agree they were totally confusing.  I bought the book as well but confess I did not look at activation this time.  I had started the Camalodi with the instructions several years ago.  I did not understand your statement about the 24 hr 32 sweat.  I mixed mine up and kept it around 90 degrees for the first day.  That gave it lots of activity and lots of foam.  On day three it has settled down a bit.

Ed Woods uses way to much flour for me.  After the first day, I have been going with 50g each of starter/flour/water.  I watched a few other videos on how to activate a starter and liked the one below the best.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sourdough/activating-dehydrated-sourdough-starter-video/

I just checked it out and it seems to be gaining more bubbles on top.  Looking forward to tracking progress with you.

Scott K.

Offline Fat_Tony

• Pizza is life
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »
Scott,

I made a typo. Being Canadian we used Celsius.. I meant to type "After the 24hr 32C sweat..." which is to say, after the 24 hours at 32 degrees Celsius, it sweat and gained some traction. 32C and 90F being the same.. so we're on par with each other.  You are right about the flour, it seems like a lot but after reading about starters in the book I have decided to stick to the instructions at least until it is fully activated. I'm nervous to mess this part up and just thought it was best to follow it closely until I can discard and bring the ratios way down. Actually I'm planning on splitting the starter in half and keeping one as a back up. I doubt I will ever need more that 50g of starter at any given time unless I plan on having a pizza party or something but I believe it's a smart idea to have a back up just in case of an accident or something. The book says you can leave them dormant in the fridge for 4 months max! Which is great bc then I won't have to keep feeding the back up all the time. I haven't activated the Camalodi one yet! I have too many weird experiments in the fridge which are producing some sideways glances from the wifey lol. I've got some decisions to make on which ones to keep. I have 1 that I made and 1 gifted to me from a fellow baker. The Ischia starter smells completely different from them and I'm very excited to use it! I'll try and post a pic of mine it here later. 

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
Tony:  Got it, 32c!  I agree with you on a backup.  I am actually activating in two jars..

Here is what I have at the end of day 3.  Bubbles on top, nothing on the sides, maybe a 12mm rise.

Offline Fat_Tony

• Pizza is life
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
I split mine this morning! I discarded until the totals of both starters were down to 100g and added 100g flour and 100g water to each. I may actually be a day ahead of you now that I think about it. I activated mine last Friday night.. (counts on fingers...) So this is now day 5 for me!

Getting some nice activity, nice fine bubbles and a great aroma. So much different from my other starters. I really can't wait to use this one!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »
Hi Tony: 

Status - I have been feeding every 12 hours.  I have activity and can see bubbles on the top and sides.  I watched very closely today and it rose and started to fall at the 6 hour mark.  The rise was about an inch.  This seems to be where my SD starts to falter.  I have been feeding my Camalodi as well, every 24 hours.  It started to fall at the 4 hour mark.  It rose a little more than an inch.  I have never gotten a 2 - 3 inch rise.  The Camalodi passed the float test, the Ischia did not.  Both smell about the same, not strong in any way.

As you seem to have a bit more experience with SD than I do, what are your thoughts?

I made one SD dough for pizza.  My guess is it will come out just ok with little oven spring.

Offline Fat_Tony

• Pizza is life
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
As you seem to have a bit more experience with SD than I do, what are your thoughts?

It sounds like it's getting close! I would continue with the feedings. It's my opinion that your doing everything correctly. If you weren't you would notice a really bad smell in the starters. The lack of activity may have something to do with the ambient temperature in your house (too cool). Next feeding, try popping it in the oven with the light on for 2hrs or so to really get it going. The book explains doing this right before using it to bake and timing it so you use it at the peak of activity. This will take some time for you to master and get right once you get to know the starter and gain some experience with it in my opinion.

Keep going with it.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 08:59:04 PM »
Tony:

Made the dough with a combo Camaldoli and Ischia.  It turned out surprisingly good.  I will keep at the feedings.  How is your new culture doing?