A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: In search of perfection: Shakey's Italian sausage  (Read 209 times)

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
In search of perfection: Shakey's Italian sausage
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
I continue my obsession with re-creating the Shakey's Italian sausage I so much enjoyed on their Italian sausage and black olive pizza back in the 1960's.  So, I did another variation to the last Italian sausage recipe I posted.  This one was as follows:
 ITALIAN SAUSAGE, RECIPE #6

Per 2 lbs. of ground pork:

2 tsp. sea salt
6 crush garlic cloves
4 tbsp. fennel seeds, roasted and then crushed
2 tbsp. dried basil
2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. dried rosemary
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground red pepper powder
While I like the result, it is a bit further away from the taste I remember:  I put too much rosemary in it this time.  (I learned long ago what a strong flavor rosemary has, and a little goes a long way, but FAILED to use that information this time.)  In fact, next time, I am thinking I will omit rosemary all together.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: In search of perfection: Shakey's Italian sausage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »
I’ve had Shakey’s but a long time ago and do not remember the sausage very well. For my taste, which may be nothing like Shakey’s, it seems like too many different dried herbs. I would probably drop thyme and rosemary both, maybe oregano too. I like one fresh herb in sausage. Usually it is chopped parsley, sometimes fresh basil. I think adding black pepper could only help. Good luck with your mix. 
-Tony

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
Re: In search of perfection: Shakey's Italian sausage
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
Foreplease:  Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I am going to try your suggestions the next time I mix up a batch of Italian sausage.  The prominent taste of Shakey's Italian sausage back in the 1960's was fennel seed.  So, you ideas go along with what I remember of their Italian sausage.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress