A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Since Salami is everywhere  (Read 459 times)

Offline Von Milash

• I Love Pizza!
Since Salami is everywhere
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi

Slowly but surely getting this pizza thing down! Question tho...

are there any salami's that will emulate the taste of a nice dry and cured pepperoni? i ask because bulk pepperoni is readily available and cheap, but it's not as good, and the good pepperoni is a bit harder to find and i tend to waste what i don't use.

that leaves the deli, where i can get what i want sliced. but deli's don't seem to have nice pepperoni. they have tons of salami varieties tho.

see where im going with this?
thanks

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Since Salami is everywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »
All of the salami varieties I've ever seen or tried were distinctly different than pepperoni. Salami is traditionally all pork while pepperoni is a combination of pork and beef. Most delis will give you a sample if you ask.

A lot of times I prefer salami on a pizza as it adds a more subtle flavor.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
I enjoy a good Genoa salami on my pizza. As a matter of fact, one of my most favorite pizzas were Shakey's, and I remember having my first salami pizza there, and loving it.
But, it is a different taste than pepperoni.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
Hi

Slowly but surely getting this pizza thing down! Question tho...

are there any salami's that will emulate the taste of a nice dry and cured pepperoni? i ask because bulk pepperoni is readily available and cheap, but it's not as good, and the good pepperoni is a bit harder to find and i tend to waste what i don't use.

that leaves the deli, where i can get what i want sliced. but deli's don't seem to have nice pepperoni. they have tons of salami varieties tho.

see where im going with this?
thanks

Waste should not be an issue unless you rarely make pizza. I just bought some pepperoni with a best by date of Sep 13, 2019. If you buy stick pepperoni you can cut/bag it into portions sizes and freeze it.
Hans

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »
I just bought a stick of Bridgeford pepperoni at BJ's Wholesale Club yesterday. Best By Date is Nov 12, 2020. We'll use it probably by the end of July, 2019.We just cut slices off of it, I wrap a piece of plastic cling wrap over the end, and stick it back in the refrigerator. Never had it go bad yet.

Offline Von Milash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:48:19 AM »
thanks for the feedback  8)

wordpress