A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Beddia 2.0 Professional review  (Read 1618 times)

Offline jim s

Re: Beddia 2.0 Professional review
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »
Is $100 for apps, 2 pies, drinks and tip unreasonable? The last time I went out for pizza (Pizzeria Bebu) we got a salad, two pies, dessert and some wine and it was $170 after tip. I thought it was fairly priced. We even had leftovers.

Your bank account must have several more digits in it than mine.

Offline jim s

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »
The pizza at Shackamaxon is 18 inches, Beddia is 16, an 18 inch pie is 25% larger than a 16. So if we're doing apples to apples that would make a Beddia plain pie $27.50 vs. $22 at Shackamaxon. Now to make things even more interesting let's compare a pepperoni, Shackamaxon $24, an 18 inch at Beddia would be $32.50.

I agree the pizzas at Shackamaxon and Beddia 1.0 are very similar but not the same, different cheese mixture. I've had Shackamaxon straight from the oven and reheated and both were crisp, you have to let the straight from the oven slices set for a few minutes or they are soupy.

Offline jim s

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
The pizza at Shackamaxon is 18 inches, Beddia is 16, an 18 inch pie is 25% larger than a 16. So if we're doing apples to apples that would make a Beddia plain pie $27.50 vs. $22 at Shackamaxon. Now to make things even more interesting let's compare a pepperoni, Shackamaxon $24, an 18 inch at Beddia would be $32.50.

I agree the pizzas at Shackamaxon and Beddia 1.0 are very similar but not the same, different cheese mixture. I've had Shackamaxon straight from the oven and reheated and both were crisp, you have to let the straight from the oven slices set for a few minutes or they are soupy.
Funny, but I stopped at Shackamaxon on Friday and had a slice, and it was very, very good.
It's not surprising, as they are making a dead on replica of Beddia's pies, complete with what seems like the same recipe, same menu, and same prices in Beddia's old location.

Their whole pie comes in at 22.00, the same as Beddia, and their white pie was priced the same at I think 25.00, but they do offer slices at  4.50 or so for a plain.
It was a bit crispier than Beddia's, but the reheating of the slice would account for that.

The tomato pie was just average, at best, doughy and lacking the flavor of not even close to the one Joe is making.

I'm not sure how you can evaluate Beddia 2.0 without having been there, but that's your call.

Perry

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
I think itís far easier for me to stomach the Bebu bill. Thereís some actual talent making the food. You know - they arenít just being lazy and tossing the pie in on a screen. That being said, itís $85 per head which is quite high. None of the spots Iíve run in NYC approached that.... and they were some of the more popular spots.

Actually, I think my first meal at Una (before they trimmed the menu) came out to 160 with apps pizzas and drinks.

Also - shackamaxon is making a better pie. No fresh mozz. Aged mozz and fontina blend. Yes, 18Ē instead of 16Ē.

Iím happy to pay more. But Iím not paying Rolex prices for a Timex if ya catch my drift...

Is $100 for apps, 2 pies, drinks and tip unreasonable? The last time I went out for pizza (Pizzeria Bebu) we got a salad, two pies, dessert and some wine and it was $170 after tip. I thought it was fairly priced. We even had leftovers.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »

Two words:   Happy Hour.

Yeah, it was an expensive lunch.

Your bank account must have several more digits in it than mine.

I donít know. I donít even have a job.

I think itís far easier for me to stomach the Bebu bill. Thereís some actual talent making the food. You know - they arenít just being lazy and tossing the pie in on a screen. That being said, itís $85 per head which is quite high. None of the spots Iíve run in NYC approached that.... and they were some of the more popular spots.

Actually, I think my first meal at Una (before they trimmed the menu) came out to 160 with apps pizzas and drinks.

Also - shackamaxon is making a better pie. No fresh mozz. Aged mozz and fontina blend. Yes, 18Ē instead of 16Ē.

Iím happy to pay more. But Iím not paying Rolex prices for a Timex if ya catch my drift...

I donít exactly remember how much the wine was but it was around $50. So figure $110 for a salad, two pies, dessert and tip. The last time we went out to breakfast it was like 60 bucks so 110 for great pizza seems pretty good to me.
I moved from Philly years ago so I havenít had the new Beddia yet. I loved the old one.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
ďYou only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.ď

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
I would like to give an authoritative response to this but I can't because I haven't been to Beddia 2.0, and I may never go. I can't justify spending $100 for apps, 2 16 inch pies screen baked, drinks, plus tip,(Mexican Coke is $5, what the ___?) the pizza would have to be the best in the Universe. To me 2.0 is over priced, over hyped, pretentious, and is for people who simply want to post pictures on instagram, not my thing. It's too bad, some ex Stephen Starr guys are his partners, they're aggressive developers, they've got a lot of overhead, and they want to make a sh_tload of $$$$$, not the best combination. Right now they're packing the place, we'll see what it looks like in a year.

But I can give an authoritative opinion on Beddia 1.0, the pizza was very, very good on 10+ pre-Bon Appetit hype occasions (exceptional even, and expensive) and I've eaten at 90% of the legacy pizzerias from Connecticut to D.C. and I've been to a decent number of the upstarts also, and Beddia would place in MY top three, no one is best and everybody has off days, (dough can be an evil mistress).

I'm on pizzamaking quite frequently, but never comment, this is a subject I felt a need to.

The best pizza in Philadelphia is Shackamaxon, plus great guys (haven't hit circles+squares).

Are you going to A.C.?

I've been to both 1.0 and 2.0 as well as plenty of other legacy pizza places in the northeast growing up in NH and living in NYC for several years.  On a purely pizza level, i think Beddia 2.0 is slightly under the level of Beddia 1.0, but within a fair margin considering the scaling of his operation and the fact that hes only been open a couple of months.  If I place Beddia 1.0 at an 'A+', then Beddia 2.0 is solidly an 'A-', with Shaxamaxon splitting the different at an 'A' (still haven't tried Circles+Squares rounds yet).  I have my second 2.0 trip coming up at the end of the month, so i may revise later, but I would still say Beddia 2.0 is certainly in contention top 5 Philly spot across all pizza styles. 

I didn't watch a full cook though the window, but I'm fairly certain that the screen was removed at some point of the cook.  Its certainly not a dominos conveyor belt pizza, 2.0 doesn't have the same crunch as Shaxamaxon or Scarrs but I think that is more of a factor of not freshly milled flour mixes rather than the screen.  The buttons of 2.0 pizzas are certainly on par with other well done pizzas cooked directly on stone like Pepe's 

Not to sound too bougie, but you need to analyze the price tag of Beddia 2.0 within context.  Beddia 2.0 isn't a corner slice joint like Joe's in NYC, its a full fledged restaurant...$100 for a date night of a pair of apps, 2 entrees, and wine/cocktails is pretty par for the course in a major northeast city. size, decor/design, staffing levels, and ingredients all go into making it significantly more expensive then a corner slice joint and even Shaxamaxon (even considering the same quality ingredients). 

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »

probably more like paying Rolex prices for an Omega...

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:54 PM »
I think you need to eat more pizza. Not only did it completely underwhelm in barstool, Iíve had a number of pizza people confide in me itís borderline terrible. People that are friendly with the guy.

At some point, the media fluff has to stop and people need to let their tastebuds do the talking. Look at the bottom of these pies - they are less baked than a pie from 2 bros. This is embarrassing - if you slap your name on something, train your guys and donít take shortcuts. I donít want to eat a half-assed, screen baked pizza while you drink a $150 dollar bottle of wine at Le Bernadin.

On a side note - philly folks are prideful in their hometown heroes to a point itís laughable. Look at the cheesesteak abomination. Never have I had a more overrated sandwich than the ones at pats and Genos.

I've been to both 1.0 and 2.0 as well as plenty of other legacy pizza places in the northeast growing up in NH and living in NYC for several years.  On a purely pizza level, i think Beddia 2.0 is slightly under the level of Beddia 1.0, but within a fair margin considering the scaling of his operation and the fact that hes only been open a couple of months.  If I place Beddia 1.0 at an 'A+', then Beddia 2.0 is solidly an 'A-', with Shaxamaxon splitting the different at an 'A' (still haven't tried Circles+Squares rounds yet).  I have my second 2.0 trip coming up at the end of the month, so i may revise later, but I would still say Beddia 2.0 is certainly in contention top 5 Philly spot across all pizza styles. 

I didn't watch a full cook though the window, but I'm fairly certain that the screen was removed at some point of the cook.  Its certainly not a dominos conveyor belt pizza, 2.0 doesn't have the same crunch as Shaxamaxon or Scarrs but I think that is more of a factor of not freshly milled flour mixes rather than the screen.  The buttons of 2.0 pizzas are certainly on par with other well done pizzas cooked directly on stone like Pepe's 

Not to sound too bougie, but you need to analyze the price tag of Beddia 2.0 within context.  Beddia 2.0 isn't a corner slice joint like Joe's in NYC, its a full fledged restaurant...$100 for a date night of a pair of apps, 2 entrees, and wine/cocktails is pretty par for the course in a major northeast city. size, decor/design, staffing levels, and ingredients all go into making it significantly more expensive then a corner slice joint and even Shaxamaxon (even considering the same quality ingredients).

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 09:24:18 PM »
Try a Casio. Trash pizza plain and simple

probably more like paying Rolex prices for an Omega...

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Very well said, classicalthunder (your reply 25 above).There is a step beyond where some of us pay steep dues to country clubs, dining clubs, and other social organizations only to have the opportunity to pay those prices. Often the food is not top end but weíre subject to minimum annual spending, so we use it. The upside is itís generally less difficult, or not at all difficult, to get a reservation.

When I was on the board of directors of our country club in the late 90s I was well known as an advocate of the golf course and playing conditions above all else. The first capital spending proposal for the clubhouse that came before us I said ďI want to remind each of you the reason the clubhouse is not downtown with the other restaurants is because the golf course is here. Take care of the golf course first.Ē

Back to Beddia 2.0 though. Everyone has to make their own decisions as to what suits their taste and budget. There are certainly places whose door I will never darken because I cannot afford it. Iím not angry about it though. I agree with what you said, especially not comparing it to a slice joint. It is fair to compare it to 1.0, but I have never been to either. Seems like Joe B may be getting judged a little harshly, but I do not really know.

-Tony
ďPizza is bread, after all.Ē - Brian Spangler

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
On a side note - philly folks are prideful in their hometown heroes to a point itís laughable. Look at the cheesesteak abomination. Never have I had a more overrated sandwich than the ones at pats and Genos.

Seriously..Barstool ?
The 1 toot, everybody knows heís a cokehead guy ?
He struggles with his English pronunciation, and doesnít know what a Neapolitan pie is.
That guy ?

Pats and Ginos are tourist traps.
Please tell me you didnít get the nasty cheeze whiz.
Next time you are in town, try a Steves or a Tony Lukes, or grab a Johnís Roast Pork.

Now, having said that, my last pie at Beddia was a mushroom, that my BIL insisted on, which overwhelmed and obliterated the goodness of the pie, and made it a heavy soggy mess.
Even Joe will tell you that his best pies are left unadorned with toppings.
Perry
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:15:48 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »
I've been told it's good...solid...but certainly not in the category of "great" any longer...

Trash pizza plain and simple

What changed your mind? Have you eaten the pizza there?

Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Currently have had both. At the time of writing a month ago I did not have 2.0. I thought 1 was solid but not life changing - Iíve had better deck-oven baked artisan style pizzas. 2 was total garbage. Itís not even the best pizza in Fishtown, let alone Philly or the country. They are night and day pizzas. Just look at them. The tops are cooked to sh*t and the bottoms look like they were in a toaster oven.

What changed your mind? Have you eaten the pizza there?

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
I think you need to eat more pizza. Not only did it completely underwhelm in barstool, Iíve had a number of pizza people confide in me itís borderline terrible. People that are friendly with the guy.

At some point, the media fluff has to stop and people need to let their tastebuds do the talking. Look at the bottom of these pies - they are less baked than a pie from 2 bros. This is embarrassing - if you slap your name on something, train your guys and donít take shortcuts. I donít want to eat a half-assed, screen baked pizza while you drink a $150 dollar bottle of wine at Le Bernadin.

2 Bros trash pizza, really? Unless you and I have two vastly different experiences in the span of 2 months you must be taking a cue from the barstool bro and trolling for the sake of entertainment.  I'm going again in a week, so i'll be sure to share some pics of the pizzas and undercrust here when the time comes...

Iíve been to probably 30+ pizzerias in Philly and plenty of other top places throughout the US (including both iterations of Pizzeria Beddia) and can safely say based on my own experience in May that Beddia 2.0 was very good (about ďA-ď level on classic grading scale).  Iím not saying itís the best pizza ever, that Beddia is Pizza Jesus, or even that its the best in Philly (I believe that Angeloís now safely takes that title, although I still need to hit up Gutterís new place), but it is certainly in the discussion of top-tier pizzerias in the area.  Outside of Angelos, Shaxamaxon, or Circles+Squares, I'd love to know what pizzerias in Philly do a better standard-style  pie?

Tastes and opinions are subjective, but if youíre focusing on methods and not results, what the guy is like on a personal level or does with his free time, or gatekeeping Ďreal pizzaí against some arbitrary standard like Joeís in NYC then your opinion is flawed from the outset.

Also, if the people your talking to from Philly are touting Patís and Genoís as hometown heroes you need to get better sources.  Those spots are strictly for tourists, teenagers from the burbs, and drunks at 3am. Talk to me about Philly sandwiches after trying a roast pork from DiNics, a cheese steak from Johnís Roast Pork, a ĎSunday Morningí from Angeloís, or a Schmitter/Tobais from Chestnut Hill. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:54:35 PM by classicalthunder »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
You're crazy. Go to "Pizza" in the old Beddia Space. or LaScala's. Or Spuntino. Even Barbuzzo. I could name about 20 pies that smoke Beddia's pizza right now in Philly.

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Angeloís and gutters new place circles and squares are way better then beddias 2.0.  I have had all 3 more then 3 times as well.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »
Havenít had Angeloís since they reopened but it certainly looks better. Iím sure this list goes on - weíre at what, 7 spots now? And none of them have the attitude

Angeloís and gutters new place circles and squares are way better then beddias 2.0.  I have had all 3 more then 3 times as well.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
You're crazy. Go to "Pizza" in the old Beddia Space. or LaScala's. Or Spuntino. Even Barbuzzo. I could name about 20 pies that smoke Beddia's pizza right now in Philly.

And your list is more authoritative because. . . . .??

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
Go eat screen baked pizza if thatís what youíre into  :-D Your loss. Iíd much rather steer business to the guys that care about the product they are putting out, though.

And your list is more authoritative because. . . . .??

Rolls

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
I donít exactly remember how much the wine was but it was around $50. So figure $110 for a salad, two pies, dessert and tip. The last time we went out to breakfast it was like 60 bucks so 110 for great pizza seems pretty good to me.

I love living in Houston   ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress