A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: AVPN recipe  (Read 1710 times)

Offline timber

• I Love Pizza!
Re: AVPN recipe
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
Thank you.  Pizza tomorrow.

Offline timber

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »
A belated Thank You to the Dough Doctor.  I have been making pizza all summer and for various reasons we have been using a different recipe each time.  Some were good some not.  Your 2 day dough was great, the best of all and the one we will continue to use.  Thank you very much.

We leave here for the winter and will be using a home oven for our pizza for the winter.  Can this recipe be used or tweaked for the home oven?

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
I prefer IDY over CY, but for the sake of curiosity, can you extend the usability of CY by freezing it?
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline DoouBall

AVPN recipe
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »
I have frozen a pound of fresh yeast that was purchased at its freshest from a local pizza shop (thanks StateOfMind!) I wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and then again in aluminum foil to keep air and light out.

When I went to defrost it, I noticed it smells different and performs slower than the original. It appears to create more slack doughs, similar to using ADY. Iím guessing this is due to glutathione from dead yeast.

So I would say you can do it, but I am thinking itís not worth it because performance becomes unpredictable. It probably will no longer conform to fermentation charts anymore. My opinion is that IDY is better than frozen and defrosted CY.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
I have frozen a pound of fresh yeast that was purchased at its freshest from a local pizza shop (thanks StateOfMind!) I wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and then again in aluminum foil to keep air and light out.

When I went to defrost it, I noticed it smells different and performs slower than the original. It appears to create more slack doughs, similar to using ADY. Iím guessing this is due to glutathione from dead yeast.

So I would say you can do it, but I am thinking itís not worth it because performance becomes unpredictable. It probably will no longer conform to fermentation charts anymore. My opinion is that IDY is better than frozen and defrosted CY.

100% agreed. I am with Tom on this one... use IDY... it works remarkably well, and I've yet to have an issue with it. Works 100% everytime.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 03:18:09 PM »
May I just add on this note that I've spoken to 3 Italian pro pizzaiolos recently about dry vs fresh yeast. The same suggestion was made by all - when moving from Fresh Yeast to Dry Yeast, whether it's IDY or ADY, they recommend using a ratio of 50% rather than 30% or 40% if you're looking to make an airy crust. They explained to me that Fresh Yeast, being ready to go, generates a bit more puff than dry yeast, and increasing the ratio helps to make them equivalent.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
May I just add on this note that I've spoken to 3 Italian pro pizzaiolos recently about dry vs fresh yeast. The same suggestion was made by all - when moving from Fresh Yeast to Dry Yeast, whether it's IDY or ADY, they recommend using a ratio of 50% rather than 30% or 40% if you're looking to make an airy crust. They explained to me that Fresh Yeast, being ready to go, generates a bit more puff than dry yeast, and increasing the ratio helps to make them equivalent.

Not sure what you mean by ratio, but I have played with IDY for the last 4+ years. and .45% seems to be the optimal amount of yeast. For me and my formula at least. ;)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
Not sure what you mean by ratio, but I have played with IDY for the last 4+ years. and .45% seems to be the optimal amount of yeast. For me and my formula at least. ;)

When converting CY amounts to IDY most recommend using 30-40%. If using 1g CY, use .3 to .4g IDY.
Hans

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
When converting CY amounts to IDY most recommend using 30-40%. If using 1g CY, use .3 to .4g IDY.

Gotcha!!

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:02 PM »

QwertyJuan, when I say ratio, I mean the conversion ratio between making an equivalent amount of different types of yeast.

For example the ratio recommended to me was 1 part IDY : 2 parts CY.

Hans, most recommend what they read elsewhere on the internet, and most of this is coming from breadmakers and yeast manufacturers, not pizza makers, let alone pizza pros. I found the advice given to me more valuable as it came from 3 pizza pros in Italy. Even packages of instant yeast often advise 1 part IDY : 3 parts CY as a conversion. I can see how this would be good both for simplicity, and because it sounds better for marketing purposes. From a cost-savings perspective, "You only need to use one third!" sounds a whole lot better than "You only need to use half!" The original recipes written by these 3 pros were using fresh yeast. I told them that it's hard to get fresh yeast in the US, and I'd like to convert to IDY. They told me if I want to use IDY, I need to cut the weight in half, not 30% or 40% to achieve the same level of puffiness in the pizza.

I'm sure if you're making NY pizza, it probably wouldn't matter if you're using 1:3 or 1:2 conversion ratios. But if you're trying to make pizza canotto, pizza in pala or pizza in teglia, the extra bit of yeast can help and certainly won't hurt, as the bulk of the fermentation is happening in the fridge.

Online jsaras

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
Arenít they the same organism?  It doesnít make sense to mix CY and IDY. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 12:28:57 AM »
Arenít they the same organism?  It doesnít make sense to mix CY and IDY.

I guess I wasnít very clear. Weíre talking about conversion of quantity from CY to IDY for substitution, not for mixing them together. In other words, using IDY instead of CY when working with a recipe originally designed for CY.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 01:46:07 AM »
For the record, storing bulk yeast in pint sized glass  jars in the fridge and/or freezer VASTLY extends its usability! Pictured is 2 jars, 1 in the freezer that is vacuum sealed and the other not vacuum sealed in the fridge. The one in the fridge is still as active and yeasty smelling as the day I put it in there on April of '16! Much more bang for your buck with IDY stored like this! I have documented this in the past where a 1 pound bag lasted me 4ish years. It's been about 3 months since I've used it but plan to this week. I will post the results here! Hands down, the cheapest, best way to buy and store yeast, been doing it this way for about 10 years!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:16 AM »
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
    • Roberts Machinery
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »
An idea to try ... even though I gave up on it a long time ago

Measure out chunks of cake yeast to sizes you like to use and press them into an ice cube tray.
Freeze them up then seal them individually.  We did not have a FoodSaver back then but that might have
helped.  We screwed around with that and gave up and bought SAF IDY.

Yeast is so inexpensive.  No math here buy I would guess only 5 -10 cents a pizza.

ADY or IDY  is the only way to go unless you use tons of yeast in a commercial kitchen .... and even then it is questionable to use cake yeast.... IMHO
Brent

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
The right amount of yeast to use is the amount that works for you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »

Agreed! How do you always find a way to say so much with so few words?

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

Exactamundo!!  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
Agreed! How do you always find a way to say so much with so few words?
Brevity is the soul of wit ;D
  Shakespeare

wordpress