A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria School Recommendations?  (Read 423 times)

Offline yangmanning

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzeria School Recommendations?
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:18:19 AM »
Hi All,

I'm tempted by the idea of opening a pizza take-out/delivery joint, but I don't have any experience in the pizza or food industry. My only experience in food is working at a deli in High School, over 15 years ago.

Does anyone know of any intensive 1 or 2 week classes I can take which will provide me with a foundation of how to open a pizzeria? I can basically travel anywhere globally as long as the class is taught in english. Certainly, it should cover how to make a pizza, but I'd also want to learn about equipment/oven selection, what costs should be/how to manage costs, what kind of staffing is needed, best practices, etc.

I've read in lots of forum posts that the best place to learn is working at a local pizzeria for a year. But, I'm a pretty academic guy, so I'd like to learn some theory and best practices before embarking in this apprenticeship. In addition, I'd like a more macro background on pizza businesses, as I know working at one particular pizzeria may only give me a very micro view of that particular business and location.

At the end of the class, I know I won't have enough knowledge to open a pizzeria, but I'm hoping I'd have enough of a foundation to understand what's needed to open a shop and then decide whether or not I'd want to do that, and if so, go and find shop to apprentice.

I've seen similar intensive classes for ice cream parlors and bakeries (with longer duration). Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thanks!

Offline jkaye01

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria School Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:51:59 AM »
I think there are tons of pizza 'academy' courses you can take basically in any big city. A successful pizza place in my city came out with this academy course thing for pizzamakers, consisting of about 40 hours of practice+theoretical courses (about 2 weeks in total) for somewhere around 600 euros. But they only offer know-how about pizza making itself, dough types (allegedly) and various chemistry tid bits. The actual business aspect itself, how to set up a shop, what equipment to get, how to organise everything and the million other issues you will be facing cannot really be taught. You'll have to tackle everything yourself and iron out the kinks. I looked for help/counselling of any kind before i opened my shop but i didnt find anything. Just out-of-work chefs who swore by their pizza recipe as 'being the best in the world'. So i had to painstakingly go thru everything and adapt as i went along. Maybe you should try a restaurant consultant if you can find one locally and go from there. But beware, in the end nothing teaches you like experience does  :chef:

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »
yangmanning,

jkaye01 is right, but I know some pizza classes in mainland China, including my partners.
A pizza class will give you the basic and spare 3 to 6 months of working alone; a consultant will help you put everything in place with a standard procedure. Too bad I'm not in HK, we could have talked business  :angel: :-D
If you need info about mainland China you can add my Wechat: yaelpizza.
Hope you'll find what you need anyway!
Cheers
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
yangmanning,

I don't know if this will be of any help but the PMQ Think Tank, where mainly professionals visit, has an archived FAQ section on pizza business related matters. The information is quite dated and largely applicable to the US but may give you some insights nonetheless. The information is at:

https://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/pmqs-think-tank-faq-list-archived.3374/

Peter

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:18 PM »
The annual Las Vegas Pizza Expo has a focused 2 day seminar directed at opening and running a pizza business, a skill different from that of making pizzas.

Offline yangmanning

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »
Thanks so much everybody! I will look into the items you suggested. I will also add your WeChat, Mr. Yael. Where are you located in China?