A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help achieving puffy and soft crust  (Read 543 times)

Offline jakob8b

• I Love Pizza!
Help achieving puffy and soft crust
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:52 AM »
Hello pizza friends

I've been making pizza for 1 months now, which I realize is not actually that long. I'm trying to remain patient, but I feel like my improvement has stagnated a bit, which is why I'm now asking for help here.

I'm cooking in an Uuni 3 and have both gas and pellets available as heat source. I'm attempting to make neapolitan style pizza. My dough is:

100% 00 flour (12.5% protein)

58% water

3% salt

0.0075% fresh yeast (comes out as 4.275 grams when I'm making 4 pizzas at 230 per ball).

My dough is mixed like this:

Dissolve salt in water. Add 10% of flour. Dissolve yeast. Add remaining flour. Mix with wooden spoon until dough is one large flaky ball. Knead in mixer at lowest speed for 9-12 minutes, stopping every 3 minutes to perform window-pane test. Bulk ferment for 2 hours. Ball the dough out and proof for 24h at fridge temp.

When it's time to cook I take the dough out and leave at room temp one hour before hand, and I fire up my oven 30 minutes before.

What I'm seeking advice on:

Once I bake my pizza the crust always turns out rather "bready". It does not puff up like I would like it to. I'm going to expirement with how I open my dough. I think I might be pressing too hard when trying to push gas into the crust. It's like I'm pushing dough into the crust more than I'm pushing gas (pushing gas hehe), if that makes any sense. For reference, I think this is the kind of crust I'm trying to achieve:

https://www.reddit.com/r/neapolitanpizza/comments/bxsvpj/sourdough_margherita_made_by_arne_from_pizza/

I'm mostly using the gas burner at the moment, since that is lower maintanence, but I'm worried it doesn't run quite as hot as the pellets, which might be another source of my problem. I will try to use the pellets next time (my cook time with the gas burner is ~100-120 seconds).

Any advice will be appreciated, as will any links to general pizza-troubleshooting and links that you might find relevant for me.

Thank you for reading this far, I hope I have provided all info necessary.

TLDR: How do I make my neapolitan pizza crust more puffy and less "bready"?

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Help achieving puffy and soft crust
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:20 AM »
If you post some photos of the various stages it will probably be easier to help you.

One mistake I made for a long time was to knead the dough too much, the window pane test IMO is for bread and not for Neapolitan pizza.  Try to mix the dough until it becomes plastic and spongy and light, don't mix it until it becomes tight and hard.  It's even OK for the bulk stage if it doesn't have a nice smooth skin.  I'm not sure this is all the explanation, but it's the help I can offer from my myopic point of view :)
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline jakob8b

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 05:22:10 AM »
I don't have any images of the process, I'll make sure to get some next time.

I have some leftovers in the fridge, so I can show what the finished pizza looks like.

Offline owaint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
Have you tried more time at room temperature? Im a total novice too but this weekend I got good results with a 20 hour RT (22C) ferment, 13 in bulk and 7 in balls.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
TLDR: How do I make my neapolitan pizza crust more puffy and less "bready"?

Knead less, ferment more.

Offline jakob8b

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I think this is what I will try to do next time. I like to change only a few parameters of the process at the time, to be able to keep track of the development, so this will likely be the changes for my next batch :chef:

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »

Truer words were never spoken, and certainly not as succinctly!

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »
Watching the photos I'd agree, add a bit more yeast too.
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »
As an aside, I think your yeast percentage is actually .004%, not .0075% (230x4=920, 4.25 grams/920=.004%).
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline jakob8b

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has replied, this has given me new motivation after feeling a bit down about my lack of progress, I look forward to my next batch :pizza:

As an aside, I think your yeast percentage is actually .004%, not .0075% (230x4=920, 4.25 grams/920=.004%).

This would be true if all 230 grams of the ball was flour :-D My recipe for 4 doughs has 570 grams of flour.

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
Yes, I stand corrected.  Please forgive my idiocy.  :-[
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline jakob8b

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »
Baked a new batch today that had fermented overnight in my fridge and it was significantly better. I kneaded much less this time. As soon as the dough was mostly uniform and the bottom of the mixerbowl looked "clean" I stopped kneading. I then rested for 30 minutes before doing a couple of streches and folds in 30 minutes interval with rests inbetween and then balled. 3 hours before cook I removed them from the fridge. During the last 2 of these hours I saw significant and needed rising which was perfect.

3 out of 4 pizzas actually got kind of burned on the bottom. I think my stone was a bit too hot. I used Ooni 3 gas burner, but instead of doing open door and closed chimney like they recommend, I did closed door and open chimney. I don't think my Ooni has ever been as hot before, as it was today - not even with the pellets. This makes me very happy, even though it resulted in burned pizza today, because now I'm confident that I can do 60 second pizzas with the gas burner. I also started the oven a full hour before the cook. Next time I'm going to try preheating with the door off and baking when the door on. This should hopefully result in better and unburnt bottoms.

I have also ordered 10kg of Caputo Pizzeria flour which I'm very excited to try. It was very nice to finally see some improvement again and I already look forward to my next cook. Thank you all :chef:

wordpress