A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My book for Chinese market is finally published!  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
My book for Chinese market is finally published!
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
Hello everyone!

After one year and a half of writing and half a year of waiting, I'm glad to announce that my book is finally in the stores!

For those who don't know me, I am Yael PALACCIO, a French with Spanish origins making Italian pizza... How could this be more Mediterranean??

I started to make pizza when I was 10 following the family recipe. When I was about 19 I wanted to open my own pizza truck in my hometown in Provence, Southern France, but I went to university instead, where I studied Chinese, which led me here in China, and when I came for the first time in 2006, I thought “my pizza future will be here”!

I have been living in China for almost 10 years now, and in 2017 I came back from Italy’s Pizza World Cup with a vice-champion title, and I thought... "how can I help people to know more about authentic pizza in this huge country? How can I reach them and share with them the basis of Italian pizza that I learned all these years?” And the idea of writing a book came to mind.

Of course I'm no Tony Geminani or Tom Lehmann, and I still have a lot to learn! But I'm sure I made something worth reading which will help pizza's -right- development in China ^^

In this book, there are not only pizza recipes and basic dough formulations, I really tried to share my thoughts and reflections on the differences of Western and Chinese culture when it comes to pizza – and more widely western food – specially directed for the Chinese market, so the reader will find descriptions of non-Chinese ingredients; descriptions of how a “good” pizza is supposed to be with criteria they might not be aware of; of how do we eat pizza abroad…

Then of course there is all the explanation to make a successful pizza starting with the dough: which kind of flour, ingredients and fermentation should be used; how to succeed the baking in different ovens; and 90+ recipes including 66 pizzas.

There is also a bonus chapter that deals with the pizza competitions in case the reader wants to attend one: how to prepare yourself and your pizza, how to choose your ingredients, how to behave and fight the stress…

There are many ways to make pizza, but we all agree that we need to know the basis first. I love Pablo Picasso’s quote (it's been my signature for a while): “learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist”.
So I really hope this book will soon become the reference for pizza making in China, and I hope you’ll help me spread the word!

I thank each and every one of you who helped me, directly or indirectly; and a special mention to Tom Lehmann, Pete-zza, Craig, Rolls... and I'm sure I forget a couple of helpful members, please forgive me!
I hope I'll be able to keep participating long enough on this forum to share back everything I learned here ^^ !
Cheers,
Yael
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: My book for Chinese market is finally published!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
Congratulations, Yael! It’s nice to know more of your background. In addition to your passion (and skill) for pizza, I’ve always been impressed with your ability to communicate in English, fwiw. Good luck with sales for your book.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
Congrats!
Hans

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »
Yael,

That is wonderful, and based on what I have read of your posts on the forum, and which I pay close attention to to enhance my own knowledge of pizza making, your success is well deserved.

Peter

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
That's fantastic.  Congratulations.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
Nice work sir!

I very much enjoy reading your posts and perspective!  :chef:
the proof is in the pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
That's awesome. Congratulations.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
Good job, congratulations! 

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 12:13:44 PM »
 I imagine you have had an amazing life with lots of great stories to tell. Congrats!!!

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »
Yael,

That is quite an achievement to be proud of.  Like so many others, I always enjoy reading your posts which always reflect not only your passion to learn about pizza but also the desire to help others.  And now your Chinese audience will also find great value in your new book as they explore this wonderful hobby.   :pizza:

Wishing you much continued success.  Well done!

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
Yael,

I never thought to ask you where you are in China. Many years ago, I helped a member who left the US to start a pizza place in Shenzhen and I wondered whether you were in the same part of China.

Peter

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »
Sweeeeet

Will there be an English translation?

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
You have certainly helped me a lot in learning about romana/teglia pizzas.

I am sure your book will do well, and I hope it can be released in English too.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 07:34:17 PM »
Yael,

Awesome!  Congratulations!!  :chef: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Norma

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 08:08:41 PM »
Thank you all very much, I didn't expect so much enthusiasm   :') I'm very moved :')

For the moment there's no special planning on an English translation, because as the content is oriented for Chinese, there are many parts that would be relevant only in China, it's really like it was explained to kids who barely ate cheese and pizza in their life. Well... Actually... actually many (western) people could use a pizza overhaul  ;D
Who knows, maybe some western editor will be interested  :P

Anyway, thank you again very much, your messages really lit my day  :chef:

PS: Peter, yes I know him, I believe we talked about it a couple of years ago when I arrived in the forum! I was in Shenzhen before, but now I'm in what we call "Dongbei", north-east of the country! Next year I should go back to the south though! I can't take minus 30°C winters anymore ;D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline lesagemike

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 08:27:42 AM »
Congratulations and really a neat thing you have done. I too have enjoyed your posts. Interesting look at pizza in entirely different culture. Keep up the good work, much appreciated.

Offline goosta

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
So awesome! Congrats!!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »
Well done yael! We have a couple of restaurants in nyc serving food from the dong bei region, you must be eating well!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
Congrats Yael!
Thanks again for your willingness and patience to help us rookies also!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 12:33:11 AM »
Yael, BIG CONGRATS!!! Like the song says, "Take It To The Limit"!!!
A thought, I don't know what you're contractual agreements are, but maybe, for a fee of course, you could sell digital english translations of your book?! I for one would be interested!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady