A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mustard Pizza?  (Read 443 times)

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
Mustard Pizza?
« on: June 27, 2019, 02:10:14 PM »
Is this really a thing?

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/06/mustard-pizza-created-by-legendary-mercer-county-pizzeria-will-be-featured-on-thrillist.html

I use mustard in my Mac&cheese so I can kinda follow the idea, but the tomato too seems like a mess.

Does anyone remember that old mustard joke " There's three kind of turds, Custurd, Musturd, and you - you big ****!"

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Mustard Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
Here's a Norma thread about mustard pizza.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25192.0
Marty

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
I was skeptical, but then I went there and ate it and it actually worked.

I’m vegetarian, but my partner said it went really well with sausage. I just had it plain.

I didn’t think the crust and sauce were as good as they could have been, but that’s a different issue. The cheese was very nice.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 11:32:10 PM »
When I made mustard pizza in my pizza place in Shenzhen, "Provençal pizza", from 2013 to 2016 I discovered American loved it, and during a period of uncertainty in which I was thinking about leaving China, I thought "America already has everything... Knowing that American love that pizza, wouldn't it be a concept to open a mustard-based pizza restaurant??!"  ;D

Just try this, you'll love it:
Dijon mustard as basis
Emmental cheese (Swiss cheese can work, but emmental is better)
Fresh tomato slices
Provence herbs/Italian seasoning (thyme, oregano, marjoram, rosemary...)
Olive oil, salt, pepper.

This is initially made with tart/pie dough in deep pan, but I adapt it as a pizza, it works well too. We call it "tarte à la moutarde", or "tarte provençale".

It's simple and wonderful  :drool:
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »
Papa’s Tomato Pies will be featured on an episode of the Thrillist series Really Dough on July 8.
In the series, pizza legend Mark Iacono and tour guide Scott Weiner search for pizza variations to determine if they are, in fact, pizza. They’ve tried ramen pizza, ice cream pizza and a $1,000 slice of pizza.

In the third season, Nick Azzaro, proprietor of the pizza shop since 1987, makes an appearance to discuss the shop’s most popular pizza.
“They featured me for the mustard pizza,” said Azzaro. The pie consists of golden brown spicy mustard to replace traditional pizza sauce, topped with cheese and tomato sauce.

The episode will air July 8 at 11 a.m. on Thrillist’s YouTube page.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/06/mustard-pizza-created-by-legendary-mercer-county-pizzeria-will-be-featured-on-thrillist.html?fbclid=IwAR3qu-U2wjC-v1gO05PcYzN0mA3SjjsIsONaO7JHN8rXzBth8Ca5U5p8jO8

Norma

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 05:44:51 AM »
I've used mayonnaise/ranch dressing as a pizza sauce, so mustard does not surprise me.  I like mustard, but I like it on grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, corn dogs, hamburgers and I use a little bit in my mac&cheese.

To each their own...

I'll just keep making the pizzas that I like.   That's why I make them in the first place.  Mustard on a pizza just does not interest me.  Call me what you will...  I know what I like and that is what I make.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 07:46:37 AM »
To each their own. I have a fairly narrow definition of pizza, and this isn't it. I'd call this "flatbread with stuff on top (FWSOT)" - all pizzas are FWSOT, but not all FWSOTs are pizza, IMO.

Funny thing is...I love mustard, it's my go-to condiment, but I don't think I'd like this, and it has nothing to do with being offended by a non-pizza trying to pass as a pizza.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
I was at Papa's once. I thought the mustard was more like French's yellow than spicy brown. The mustard pie didn't do it for me but their house made sausage was really good.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 08:45:35 PM »
So I guess it is a thing!  :o

Offline The Pontificator

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 06:35:16 PM »
What the heck, I'm going to make one of these!  :chef:
When's the last time you ate a salad?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 08:05:39 PM »
I doubt I would hate it, but I can only eat so much pizza and it wouldn't make the cut.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:19 AM »
A VERY good pizza I've made a couple times is a knock off of those funeral sandwiches you may have had. Deli ham and swiss on little buns smothered with butter and honey mustard and poppy seeds, baked covered in a cake pan!?

I made a honey mustard base, deli ham, some onions and swiss, mozz cheese, extra honey mustard to dip, quite good. A poofy crust works best for this!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 11:02:57 PM »
In order to say one doesn't like it, one should try first  :P :P
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:38 AM »

I'm usually too hungry to try something like this first, It would be more likely that I would try this third, when I'm sated and happy (or relieved) to toss the odd experiment...

but it's on my list!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 12:12:12 AM »

It's like other weird sounding things like Asian/Indonesian sauces, odd combos of peanut butter, fish sauce, coconut milk, soy, hot chilis.........one taste and you want to move in and be part of their family!!!! Those kind of things you always avoided and when you finally try it, WTF was I waiting for?!😂 :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 02:45:25 AM »
Haha Jon you're right!

But as for some of the Chinese style pizza I doubt it ;D
https://www.pmq.com/this-chinese-pizzeria-just-says-no-to-durian/

For the record, I never tried it (do what I say not what I do  :-D), but I'm sorry, I just can't. I'll try maybe when they make a real recipe, and not "dough - durian paste - mozzarella - durian slices - mayonnaise"  :-X

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:54 AM »

I would agree with you Yael, but I am old enough to know what I like and what I probably won't like.

As an example, my younger brother, when I was a kid, would make sandwiches with bologna, peanut butter, mayonnaise, pickles, iceberg lettuce, mustard, and just about anything else we had available at that time in my mother's kitchen.

I thought the combinations he came up with were awful, until I tried it once.   It wasn't all that bad!   However, I never did find myself making those "creations" after that first time.

So, I guess I am saying that I know what I like and mustard on a pizza just isn't my idea of a good pizza.

I am traditional.  However, I don't really care for a plain cheese pizza.  For me, it MUST at least have pepperoni as a topping!   And, I don't like pizzas where the cheese has dissolved into the sauce. 

I really like for the cheese to be melted, but still retain its own character.   I see a lot of people here praising the "melt" on pizzas where the cheese has lost all of its character into the sauce.  Especially the New York style fans.

That is not perfection, in my humble opinion.   Of course, to each their own, but I actually like the cheese to string out a bit when I cut or bite it.   Otherwise, the cheese has lost its character, IMHO.

To each their own.  (smile)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:36:20 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline The Pontificator

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:35:28 PM »
Mustard Pie: Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and quite frankly it's not something I'd make again but to each his/her own.

Even though I used the mustard sparingly it overwhelmed everything else.

I mean, it wasn't horrible but it was just sort of disappointing. A good pizza has balance. This didn't have that.

One bite everyone knows the rules: 5.4
« Last Edit: Today at 07:40:05 PM by The Pontificator »
When's the last time you ate a salad?

wordpress