A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: No cutter pan...  (Read 357 times)

Offline Kekogl08

• I Love Pizza!
No cutter pan...
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »
If a guy wanted to make some of the cracker crust recipes here and he didn’t have a cutter pan, what could be used instead? I have heavy gauge aluminum serving pans... or steel baking sheets?

Thanks for any help

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: No cutter pan...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
 If you have a stone you could place the topped pizza skin on parchment paper and slide it on the stone and after about 2 minutes slide out the parchment paper and finish the bake directly on the stone. This works very well for me.

If you have a pizza pan with no sides you can roll out the dough and use the pan as a template to cut the skin to size.

If you don't not have a stone the bottom of the crust won't be as crispy.

For most styles a pizza stone is a must if you want a crispy bottom. A stone will create a faster bake which in turn the crust will have a better texture.

I use a cutter pan. I par bake the crust in the pan on top of a pizza stone. After 2 minutes I remove the pan from the oven and slide the skin directly onto a cooling rack for around 5 minutes. Then I add the toppings to the skin and slide the pizza onto the stone to finish the bake.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:51:33 PM by nick57 »

Offline Kekogl08

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
Excellent info, I do have two stones.

Maybe a dumb question but I would be preheating the over with the stone inside already correct?

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »
Excellent info, I do have two stones.

Maybe a dumb question but I would be preheating the over with the stone inside already correct?

Yes - preheat your oven with stone for an hour for best results.
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »
 Always preheat the oven with the stone inside for at least an hour. For most pizzas bake at the highest temp your oven will reach, mine is around 550 degrees.

I have two stones. There are a couple of different ways to bake a pie using two stones. One is..Have each stone on a different rack in the oven. Place the pie on one stone and half way through the bake move the pie to other stone, it will give a crisper bottom crust.

The other is to place one stone a few inches above the other. Bake the pizza on the lower stone. The upper stone will radiate heat downwards and help in baking the top quicker.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:02:13 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
If a guy wanted to make some of the cracker crust recipes here and he didn’t have a cutter pan, what could be used instead? I have heavy gauge aluminum serving pans... or steel baking sheets?

Thanks for any help

Put that steel baking pan right on the oven floor.....have one of your racks in the top position in case you need to move pizza up for top browning.

Edit....don't forget the crust par bake. With that, lowest rack setting might work for finishing the bake. Especially with that steel sheet pan you have.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:00:15 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
What Bob said.  Use the steel pan.

You do not need all the recommended equipment to produce an excellent pie.

wordpress