A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breadstone FGM 950B / limestone brickwork installation  (Read 716 times)

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
Breadstone FGM 950B / limestone brickwork installation
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »
After sitting under a tarp for about a month in my driveway (and it felt like it was longer), The crew installing my outdoor kitchen got to the oven today.  I took a vacation day to watch/help/be a general nuisance.  Of all the things that could have gone wrong, everything seems to be going well.  We had a question about which bag of joint compound to use for what, but a quick call to Antoine @ Breadstone cleared everything up.  Finally opening the crate, everything was well packed and in one piece.

The stone supplier had previously installed a much smaller oven from an unknown vendor, but for everyone else, including the landscaping company, this was their first pizza oven installation.

Here's a couple of pictures.

First, the insulation, laid out, ready for the oven floor, and then the floor in place with the tile.  I cut out the pieces on a bandsaw, and fortunately found a dust mask pretty quickly, the dust is very nasty.  The bandsaw seemed to be about the perfect tool for the job; I don't know what we would have used if I didn't have one set up in the garage.

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Breadstone FGM 950B / limestone brickwork installation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »
The risers and the two dome pieces.

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
The insulation being applied, and the oven ready for the stonework surround.

They used all the insulation that came with the oven.  It was more than enough to get three layers on the sides and five on the top, so we have more than that in most places.  Left just enough room for a good air gap between the oven and the stones that are coming next.  They used an extra roll of heavy duty aluminum foil that I had bought for that purpose, and almost raided the kitchen for another roll, but in the end, the two rolls were enough.

Metal tape and chicken wire is holding everything in place.  Saving the wire wrapping that keeps the chicken wire rolled up in the package was handy; it was used to tie all the wire pieces together.

Finally (for today), the tarp in place in case it rains before Monday.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
That is going to be a sweet setup.

Offline 3pedals

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, how much does an install like that cost?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
That is going to be a sweet setup.

^^^ Very nice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
3pedals - it's going to end up costing me more than I want to admit to myself.  It started out as a very small idea, and a relatively small expense, that has gotten quickly out of hand.

I've been grilling for a while now on a size large Big Green Egg, and after last Thanksgiving, when the 25 pound turkey I smoked disappeared too quick with no leftovers, I decided I would get a second XL Big Green Egg.  While debating with myself whether to go with two tables or one large table for the two eggs, my wife put her foot down and said something like, "I don't want any tables, I want to get them built in, and I want you to get a pizza oven."  This wasn't completely out of the blue, as I've been attempting to make Neapolitan pizza for several years now, with varying success, and we had recently been to a party where we talked to a friend about his new pizza oven.

Since the cost of building this in overshadows the cost of the oven and the eggs, I didn't want to make a poor oven choice, as I would be reminded of it every day when I walked out the door.  I ended up here, and after reading about Breadstone, and talking to Antoine, made up my mind.  I agonized over whether or not to get the riser option, and finally decided to get it.  While I still doubt that decision, I'm positive that if I had decided to not get it, I would wish I had.

This is a classic case of a little more expense, over and over again, ends up not so cheap.  I will be very happy to have it though.

I remember a comic strip in Stereo Review magazine several years ago where there's a row of about 15 speaker pairs in a stereo store, each one identical to the one next to it, but about 1" taller and with a successively larger price tag.  I think about that whenever I agonize over these kinds of purchases.

No builder I talked to had ever installed anything like this, so I wanted to post photos in case someone can use it as a reference.  We would have benefited from the photo of the tile layout - it took us a few tries to get the puzzle pieces right.  While they haven't been perfect in this process, I've been a far worse customer to deal with than I should have been, and they have been great.  Doing it myself would have definitely saved money, but the difference would be making pizzas in July 2019, vs July of 2024.

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
Complete (actually, this was from a few weeks ago.).

Offline markpenacho

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
Finally got through all the curing fires, and attempted to make pizzas.  I made 8 balls of dough, with varying degrees of success.  I already want to change my dough recipe, my sauce recipe, and virtually everything else - but that's for next time.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
Very nice, Mark!
-Tony

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »