A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: In LA Searching for NY Pizza Ingredients  (Read 340 times)

Offline PizzaSean

In LA Searching for NY Pizza Ingredients
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »
Hello!

I've done a little bit of searching on the forum and on google, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for just yet.

Basically I want to buy a nice loaf of Grande Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozz or a similar cheese in the Los Angeles area. The closer to Silver Lake the better, but I can't be too picky!

I'll also post in other forums but I'm looking for Full Strength General Mills Flour and Stanislaus 7/11 as well!

Thank you in advance to anyone who has help!

Sean

Offline jsaras

Re: In LA Searching for NY Pizza Ingredients
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:36:08 PM »
Hello!

I've done a little bit of searching on the forum and on google, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for just yet.

Basically I want to buy a nice loaf of Grande Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozz or a similar cheese in the Los Angeles area. The closer to Silver Lake the better, but I can't be too picky!

I'll also post in other forums but I'm looking for Full Strength General Mills Flour and Stanislaus 7/11 as well!

Thank you in advance to anyone who has help!

Sean

You're gonna have to make the trek to Van Nuys and go to Restaurant Depot.  You can get Grain Craft (aka Pendleton) Mondako or Power flour, Saputo Premium Gold Mozz (excellent) and any Stanislaus tomato products you desire.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
You're gonna have to make the trek to Van Nuys and go to Restaurant Depot.  You can get Grain Craft (aka Pendleton) Mondako or Power flour, Saputo Premium Gold Mozz (excellent) and any Stanislaus tomato products you desire.

Thanks so much for that! I'm not as familiar with those alternative products that you mentioned so having those names is a very valuable reference for me.

And Van Nuys isn't too bad at all.

My memory tells me that Restaurant Depot allows a one time visit from non-members, so I hope that policy is still true. I'll probably give them a call in a bit to find out.

Thanks again!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
GM may not sell Full Strength in CA, but if you see Superlative, it's the exact same flour.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
When I bought my bag of All Trumps, the RD on Jefferson near Culver City carried:

All Trumps, unbleached, unbromated(General Mills)
Power High Gluten (Grain Craft)
Maximum High Gluten Flour, Enriched Abscorbic Acid (Chef's Quality)
Kyrol Premium High Gluten Flour(Ardent Mills)
Morebread Flour Unbleached Enriched(Grain Craft)

Plus others that were not high gluten I don't have pictures of.

Ira

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
GM may not sell Full Strength in CA, but if you see Superlative, it's the exact same flour.

Thanks so much, Craig!

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 03:39:50 AM »
When I bought my bag of All Trumps, the RD on Jefferson near Culver City carried:

All Trumps, unbleached, unbromated(General Mills)
Power High Gluten (Grain Craft)
Maximum High Gluten Flour, Enriched Abscorbic Acid (Chef's Quality)
Kyrol Premium High Gluten Flour(Ardent Mills)
Morebread Flour Unbleached Enriched(Grain Craft)

Plus others that were not high gluten I don't have pictures of.

Ira

Thanks so much for this, Ira!

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:43:05 AM »
UPDATE:

I was able to have a family member send me some of my old supply of Full Strength which will get me through for now. And I was able to find some promising supplies at Sorrento's in Culver City. Was happy to see Hormel Rosa Grande, grabbed some Escalon 6 in 1 (pricey at 8.99 per! those were like $5-6 on the east coast), some loaf of Low Moisture Mozz that I've never tried before, as well as some sausage and pecorino romano. Will be testing this all out soon and reporting back with pics on the NY forum. Thanks all!

Online ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
If you're willing to drive that far, there is also a funny Italian importer on the east side of 10th Street just north of Olympic. Says wholesale but there is a small retail store in front.

Ira

Guidi Marcello Co Ltd
1649 10th St, Santa Monica, CA 90404

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
...Will be testing this all out soon and reporting back with pics on the NY forum. Thanks all!

I look forward to seeing the results. I just went back and saw some of the pies you were posting several years ago...they look fantastic.  Would definitely like to compare notes.

Matt

wordpress