A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help me with making dough  (Read 1413 times)

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Help me with making dough
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
I have just made a batch of dough using the above measurements. Its come out very stick, how does this look?

I mixed the ingredients together in a KitchenAid, mixed low speed for 10 mins, rested for 10 mins, then kneaded by hand for 10 mins, rested for 10 mins and then kneaded for another 10 mins.

Did the bounce test and the dough bounced back.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:34:39 PM by KamSandhu44 »

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
Looks like this after around two hours.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
 I am no expert, but 30 minutes of kneading sounds way over the top. When I make the Dough Doctor's NY style I usually knead it for around  5 to 8 minutes. After that it goes into the fridge for 2 days before using. I'm sure the experts will chime in.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 03:06:32 PM »
Your dough looks to be extremely under mixed. This could be the result of a "J" hook on your mixer as opposed to a reverse spiral dough arm, can you show a picture of your dough mixing attachment? Then too it might be due to mixing a very small dough size where the mixing action is quite poor. It can also result from mixing at too low of a speed, generally 1st/low speed just doesn't cut it as you need to do the bulk of mixing at a higher speed. A correctly mixed dough should come out of the mixing bowl looking smooth. If you go to my web site <www.doughdoctor.com> I have a series of videos posted and in one of those videos I show how to stage the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix the dough to the proper consistency. While the video is made using a commercial size mixer you can achieve the same characteristics using a smaller size mixer too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
Hi Tom,

This is my attachment.

Am I better of ditching this dough, starting again and mixing by hand?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 06:19:49 PM »
Your mixing attachment, looks like it should do the job, just watch the dough during mixing, you do not want to see the dough grabbing onto the attachment and going for a ride around the inside of the mixing bowl, if it does you will need t mix at a higher/faster speed. If the mixer complains when you do that you will need to down size your dough so as not to over load the mixer.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
What flour are you using?  Nearly all my pizza are done by hand takes about 5-6 minutes      I usually do room temp rises (can be difficult with this heat) typically 8 hours.

Last pizza I used my Kenwood mixer it has one of those spiral hooks    but I form it into a rough jagged ball before putting it in because its no good at combining the ingredients, only kneading.

I don't recommend it with a small batch of dough how much flour or doughball weight are you using?

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
What flour are you using?  Nearly all my pizza are done by hand takes about 5-6 minutes      I usually do room temp rises (can be difficult with this heat) typically 8 hours.

Last pizza I used my Kenwood mixer it has one of those spiral hooks    but I form it into a rough jagged ball before putting it in because its no good at combining the ingredients, only kneading.

I don't recommend it with a small batch of dough how much flour or doughball weight are you using?

I'm using Allinsons Strong White flour, 12% protein. 1kg of flour. I've checked the dough this morning, it's risen well, over doubled in size. Lots of little crators on the surface. I think I will use this dough, next time I make dough I will do it by hand.

Every time I use the Kenwood, the dough sticks to the hook and spins around.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:12:36 AM by KamSandhu44 »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 03:17:51 AM »
I have a Kenwood chef sense 4.6l and switched  the standard j hook that came with it (useless for dough)to a stainless steel reverse spiral hook from the Kenwood store, I think it was £35 delivered. Makes a decent difference. Although as I understand it not all Kenwood's can take the upgrade. Also Although the manual says it can handle 2.2kg of dough the most I think it can take is about 1.8 kg at around 60% hydration.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
How did it turn out?

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
How did it turn out?

I should have gone with my gut and ditched the dough. But I didnt, the dough wasn't usuable, it was extremely sticky and couldn't do anything with it. I see where I have gone wrong, I will try again next week, ditching the Kenwood and mixing by hand. I will get there!!

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
Hi all,

So this is my latest attempt, same percentages as before.

Mixed everything by hand. Kneaded by hand for around 12 mins. Dough was still sticky, not as bas as previous attempts, but definitely not smooth. I've scale and balled them and they're in the fridge.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
Hows the pizza making going? 

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »
Tom,

When the dough is undermixed as in reply 20, is that really a problem? In my experience, with a couple of "rest and fold" it can totally be used, no?
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline KamSandhu44

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 05:39:55 AM »
Hows the pizza making going?

My last batch (in reply 31) was pretty decent, it was still quite elastic, but less than before. It tasted amazing.

I think I need to work on my kneading, the dough balls also didnt keep their shape. I am cold frementing for 36 hoursI am wondering if the dough is over frementing. On my next batch, I may reduce the IDY to 0.3%.