A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough,Dough, Dough  (Read 396 times)

Offline flagriller

• I Love Pizza!
Dough,Dough, Dough
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
Well, what I've decided to do is start from ground zero.  That is to make dough and bake it in the PP Bollore until I find a recipe I like and
fell good about cooking it.  I tried several times last night from the leftover dough I had, results were okay but should improve over time.
Then I'll slowly start adding toppings.  ;D

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Dough,Dough, Dough
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:11:25 PM »
I've seen people practice with sauce topped with ziti to mimic cheese. In my experience and untopped pizza bakes differently without weight to hold the dough down. Lots of poof. Not quite pita, but similar. A big can of tomatoes and a box of ziti are cheap. Price really goes up once cheese and topping are added.

Good luck on your pizza adventure. This is such a great hobby...

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:43:30 PM »
When I make practice pizza I normally make a marinara minus oregano, garlic & pecorino, that is to say with only the cheapest tomato and some oil.
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:34:02 PM »
When I make practice pizza I normally make a marinara minus oregano, garlic & pecorino, that is to say with only the cheapest tomato and some oil.

Same here, except I just do tomato sauce only. THEN if I feel the "urge" to actually eat a piece, I'll sprinkle a bit of parm and olive oil on it and go to town!! :D

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:06 AM »
I can't say that I've ever made a "trash" pizza for practice. Instead, I've always tried to make a decent pizza, with whatever I've had on hand. This way it becomes an effective learning process. You can use the house brand tomatoes as well as the house brand mozzarella cheese but always strive to make the best pizza you can, even if you're just practicing opening the dough ball into a pizza skin, make the best you can, you will be rewarded for it as your other skills will improve at the same time and you will expand your horizons for making pizza with different ingredients and learning how to cope with different quality ingredients, you might be surprised at how good a pizza you can make using "no name" canned tomatoes and "no name" mozzarella cheese. Just about anybody good pizza maker can make a decent pizza using the "best" ingredients (whatever those might be) but it takes a master to do it using common, no name ingredients.
Just the opinion of someone who's been there and done that.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:19:27 AM »
Tom, yes there is a lot of truth to what you say regarding practice pizza!
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:07:25 AM »
One can also make dough balls and extend them.  When done, mix them all together and ball again (needs a resting period for them to relax again).  Like that one can get a few practice sessions out of the same dough.

I suspect one could probably do that for a few days if the dough spends part time in the fridge and gets regenerated with about 10% water and flour once it's becoming too damaged by time.  Gotta try that someday.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:09:55 AM by amolapizza »

Offline flagriller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »
Actually the sauce is a great idea, believe me though, I'm not trashing the practice pies,
rather I'm using them as bread.  Had a great BP&J with one ;D  I also have been cutting them into
little pieces and dipping in hummus, garlic oil and such.

wordpress