A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What Hydration Makes it "Cracker"?  (Read 223 times)

Offline NepaBill

What Hydration Makes it "Cracker"?
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »
Just wondering what defines a "Cracker Crust"?  Is it only the low hydration?  At what hydration is pizza dough considered cracker?  Do all cracker crusts tend to have oil in the dough?  If so, at what percent?

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: What Hydration Makes it "Cracker"?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
NepaBill:

You are likely to get a variety of answers to that question, but I will go ahead and throw in my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

To me, a cracker crust dough has to have <50% hydration, and it needs a fair amount of fat from oil, shortening, butter, or some combination thereof.  When I say fair amount, I don't have an exact percentage in mind, but I would say roughly 2-6%.

Hope that helps.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DNA Dan

Re: What Hydration Makes it "Cracker"?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:53:57 PM »
What's up Ernie??? !!!

I'll add to that and say there are two major distinctions of what people call a "cracker" crust.

There's the dry, snappy variety which is like a saltine cracker. (This is probably where the term originated.) The best example I can think of this is MOD pizza or a bar style pizza. Low hydration dough which is underdeveloped, thin, crispy/crunchy and sometimes can be a par-baked skin.

Then there's the layered,LAMINATED style which is achieved through the use of a sheeter when making the dough skins. Many people call this a "cracker" crust, when in reality the correct term is "laminated." It has bubbles and pockets like the saltine cracker type skins, but their creation is really aimed at producing thin layers like the pages of a book.

It doesn't help that the forums here never differentiated between the two styles. IMO they are significantly different that they should be treated separately, but here we all are, in the "Cracker" forum.  :-\

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress